My first A2

Ok, been looking for a few months and missed a few due to Covid rules but this little gem was local to me and today a deal was done.
It's a 90tdi. I think sport from the spec. It has sports seats with lumbar, sports steering wheel and did have 17" wheels according to the sticker codes. Currently sitting on 15" and I like that as my back is old! No climate but there is an eco button so think it has air con. Too cold to check if it's working right now.
There are a few jobs to do. The eml is intermittent so the vv on the turbo will need a clean. It also has intermittent sensor with oil symbol in the dis. Not sure what that involves, oil level is good.
Coolant bottle is very dirty. I did suspect head gasket but no mayor on the oil filler cap. I will flush and put fresh pink in and see how it goes. Maybe someone put blue anti freeze in sometime as this causes a horrible brown sludge, seen that before. Full service on the jobs list and cam belt.
Door strap is clunky. I will need to fix. Who does the replacement here?
Filler release button and the one above are both missing their covers. Anyone have replacements?
Handbrake travel is excessive and brakes at bit soft. Full service pending. Rear brakes are disks.
Body is very good. Couple of very minor scuffs but no dents or lacquer peel. Headlamps are a bit frosted but I have a polishing kit.
Rear axle beam was an advisory on the last mot so I will probably get it blasted and coated.
All in all, nice tidy car that appears to have been well cared for.
Thanks to Seb on here who sold her to me.

17066e2d7044bbafde519f49c7dae9fb.jpg

ae0df2600baa2c4e6e9210cb78a921be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome. I've only has our A2 for about a month it's a 1.4 petrol but it's perfect as a runabout for us. Interested to know your thoughts as a fellow new owner owner.

Our suspension (apparantly in good condition) feels quite crashy on crappy UK roads but really nice on good surface. How about yours?

I need a filler release button. They're abiut £35 on eBay, no idea at a dealer. But BE CAREFUL, some buttons are RHD and LHD specific, so make sure you buy the right ones.

Last edited:
I didn’t waste any time getting stuck in.
71cc38f59c452dbfaab037207e6b70d9.jpg

Drained the coolant, oil and gearbox oil.
The coolant is mucky.
Oil and gearbox oil not too bad but the Gear oil smells strongly of sulphur so
I’m worried someone has put gl5 spec in at sometime.

A few interesting discoveries. No handbrake return spring on one side. splash shield missing one side, badly corroded on the other. Turbo pipe unclipped under the engine and not fully seated. Quite an oil leak from the turbo area. There is also some oil in the turbo pipes. Is there a changeable breather on the tdi?
The air filter has seen better days.
e9dfca23f290e3676591b039651e3c00.jpg

b05734656702d4edac7352117b96835d.jpg

The coolant bottle has come in the house for a good scrub.

Ok, been looking for a few months and missed a few due to Covid rules but this little gem was local to me and today a deal was done.
It's a 90tdi. I think sport from the spec. It has sports seats with lumbar, sports steering wheel and did have 17" wheels according to the sticker codes. Currently sitting on 15" and I like that as my back is old! No climate but there is an eco button so think it has air con. Too cold to check if it's working right now.
There are a few jobs to do. The eml is intermittent so the vv on the turbo will need a clean. It also has intermittent sensor with oil symbol in the dis. Not sure what that involves, oil level is good.
Coolant bottle is very dirty. I did suspect head gasket but no mayor on the oil filler cap. I will flush and put fresh pink in and see how it goes. Maybe someone put blue anti freeze in sometime as this causes a horrible brown sludge, seen that before. Full service on the jobs list and cam belt.
Door strap is clunky. I will need to fix. Who does the replacement here?
Filler release button and the one above are both missing their covers. Anyone have replacements?
Handbrake travel is excessive and brakes at bit soft. Full service pending. Rear brakes are disks.
Body is very good. Couple of very minor scuffs but no dents or lacquer peel. Headlamps are a bit frosted but I have a polishing kit.
Rear axle beam was an advisory on the last mot so I will probably get it blasted and coated.
All in all, nice tidy car that appears to have been well cared for.
Thanks to Seb on here who sold her to me.
Hi
Just for information if you have round disks to control the heating then the car does not have any air-con of any kind.
The Eco button just controls the auxiliary heating. With Eco pressed, it prevents the electric auxiliary heating from kicking in.
I hope this helps.
Steve B

Hi
Just for information if you have round disks to control the heating then the car does not have any air-con of any kind.
The Eco button just controls the auxiliary heating. With Eco pressed, it prevents the electric auxiliary heating from kicking in.
I hope this helps.
Steve B
Ah, thanks. Boys Polo has a similar button but has air con. I wondered where they had hidden all the pipes etc under the bonnet. lol!

Filled up the oils and water today.
Gearbox filling is very slow!
2fddbb3aa75bd7f7b2594d97835a2900.jpg

I have ordered an under tray, brake splash shields, coolant bottle and caliper spring from Crew Audi on here.
They are very helpful! Thanks guys.

The coolant bottle is badly stained and all my usual cleaning methods failed.
The under tray was missing at purchase.

I need to sort the oil level sensor. Where is it on the tdi?

And then I need to remove the turbo to clean the variable vanes. Is there a guide on here? I can't find one after searching. I know it's tight!

Before dismantling the turbo, if you're only getting the problem intermittently it may be worth trying to use fuel additives combined with very fast runs to get it hot, that may be enough to solve the issue?

Just a thought - Others have had success with Millers Diesel Ecomaxx for example.

Filled up the oils and water today.
Gearbox filling is very slow!
2fddbb3aa75bd7f7b2594d97835a2900.jpg

I have ordered an under tray, brake splash shields, coolant bottle and caliper spring from Crew Audi on here.
They are very helpful! Thanks guys.

The coolant bottle is badly stained and all my usual cleaning methods failed.
The under tray was missing at purchase.

I need to sort the oil level sensor. Where is it on the tdi?

I ended up buying new coolant bottles for mine after trying unsuccessfully to get rid of the rust stains. Got them from Crewe Audi.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Before dismantling the turbo, if you're only getting the problem intermittently it may be worth trying to use fuel additives combined with very fast runs to get it hot, that may be enough to solve the issue?

Just a thought - Others have had success with Millers Diesel Ecomaxx for example.
It's now on all the time.

Back