My old VAG cars

Kleynie

A2OC Donor
Just thought I'd show you my previous VAG products. My old Mk1 GTi 1.8i in helious blue, bought in 1991 and sold in 2003, its still on the road and the picture is from the new owner taken in 2012. This car was on 156k miles when I sold it and nothing had ever been done to the engine apart form fresh oil and filter every 6k.

Tim 2 Dec 12.jpg

I sold the Mk1 due to the arrival of children and needing a 5 door, also power steering was a must after the Mk1.! So in 2003 I bought a Mk2 16v in Oak green, this was the last of the Mk2's with big bumpers, PAS and electric windows. It came with some very shoddy 15" BBS wheels, I replaced those with some nice 17" BBS wheels and Toyo tyres. I sold this in 2004 when I started commuting into London and no longer needed a car.

Golf Gti 16v.JPG

Following on from this we've had a string of BMW's as family cars starting with an E36 320i, 328i sport and then four E39's - 523i, 525i, 525d and 530d, then an E61 525i and lastly two F07 5GT's of which I still have a 2015 535d GT that I've owned for two years. I hope to replace this soon with a 640i gran coupe or maybe a Golf R.

Ian

This car was on 156k miles when I sold it and nothing had ever been done to the engine apart form fresh oil and filter every 6k.
Ian

:)

Both lovely machines there. I picked out this part of your post as the older Vag Audi cars were so much more reliable from this era it would be fair to say with huge longevity potential when oil changed correctly. It's so annoying this cannot be said of our beloved A2s! We need a crying symbol on this forum!

Yes. My BMW had its first oil change at 17k miles, which seems too long. It’s now done 27k and the oil will be changed in the coming weeks even though it’s not required according the the service schedule. Same with my sons A2, we changed the oil last Sept and it will be changed again this summer even though it’s probably only done 2k miles.
But, as you say, the old VAG engines were legendary for reliability, I hope the A2 will be also, too early to say yet.

My Old (and some still have) VAG Cars

The original PUA - Courtesy of A2OC
A2PUA (2 of 23).jpg

Boxster I had for a few weeks February 2017
Boxster S (6 of 6).jpg

Corrado Karmann Campaign VR6 (1 of 6 built)
Campaign 2006 007 (Custom).jpg

My Corrado G60, bought with 30k miles on sold 5 years later (to buy above car) with 130k on the clock - ran superb all the time, only changed the spark plugs once.
A60 VW.jpg

My favourite pic of my baby - 1984 Scirocco Storm, I've owned it for over 24 years now.
A259UYV-08708.jpg

Seat Arosa (wifey's car mainly) The only car we've ever bought new, the pod lights were the only ones in the UK and the Teddy Ronals were her birthday present, we've still got them but no car to put them on.
20050501-Stanford 2005 090.jpg

On top of these I've had (approximately) the following:

Audi A5 3.0TDi - 300bhp of monster torque! Really was a beast
Vento VR6
Red Corrado G60
12 other Mk2 Sciroccos including GLs, GTXs and 5x Storms
3 x Mk1 Golfs (2x N 1100s and a GLi Cabrio)
Mk2 Golf in Red (1300cc)
Seat Toledo Mk1
Seat Toledo Mk2 1.6 and V5 - V5 was up there with the Vento VR6 for grin induction
Seat Ibiza Mk 3 in Yellow (Banana Mobile)
Audi A6 2.7tdi
Audi A6 AllRoad 3.0TDi (Current family wagon)
Passat B5 1.8T Saloon
Passat B5.5 130tdi Estate (Sold with 295k miles on the clock)

Non-VAG
Land Rover Series III 88" in Mauritius Blue

That's about it for memorable non-VAG vehicles, there have been Pugs and Fords, but nothing memorable.

I've had a couple of VWs. One was an orange 'breadvan' Polo CL Formel E 1300 estate which had a high 5th gear, a vacuum 'economy' gauge, and start/stop - and this was a car from 1983! Only had it about 6 months in the late 90's before a neighbour wrote it off by reversing into the door. I sold it to the local garage for a courtesy car.

Photo0002.jpg

I later had this 1.8 75hp Golf Cabrio for a few years, my first convertible. It was basic but I really enjoyed it. However being SORN for 6 months most years and often in the garage at my house 20 miles away from where I was at my other half's house, meant it wasn't always available to use when the sun came out. It did save my bacon when my daily Vectra blew its ECU right at the onset of the hard winter of 2010/11 though. It took over 6 weeks to get that sorted! I eventually sold both cars towards a Volvo C70 hardtop convertible, which combined their functions. I'm now on my 2nd C70 and still loving them, but they don't have huge flexibility in the way of loads. Hence with my increasing interest in cycling, the main reason for acquiring the A2. But now I'm finding it's such fun to drive that I'm starting to leave the Volvo parked up even when there's the prospect of some sun!

That’s more like it. I love the scirocco storm, looks so right, also love the teddy bear alloys!
My mum had a Golf GTi Rivage convertible from new, blue with cream leather. I wish she kept it as they are classics now.
My other half had a Polo 1.6 GTX with air con new in 1996, that was a nice car but terrible paintwork.

I must have seen some of you guys at GTi International in the 90’s?

Very nice cars there guys. I too have been bitten by the Vw Audi bug.
Had 3 mk1 golf gtis(2 cabrios), 2 mk2 golf gtis, 2 mk2 polo coupes, mk3 polo gt coupe, 2 corrado g60s, audi a4 1.8tqs, audi a4 avant tdi quattro, a2 tdi se, current A2 and a Tiguan rline tdi 170.

My MK1 was featured in Feb 1993 edition of VW Audi Car magazine, a scan is below. In the same mag is a corrado with northelle wheels - a member on here has them on his A2?
I also have an original corrado storm sales brochure a Mk3 golf sales brochure and a few others that I’m keeping for some reason.

237C37BF-417B-4D96-9C65-D979D3B80CBC.jpeg

Polo on the cover:

275F43A9-94D1-42CE-B126-14A8BE197A73.jpeg

The corrado is on page 36, but it is just an advert. I’ve got many more and probably got the one you remember.

AAB2DD1D-8737-4EE0-8F96-71EAC368CBBA.jpeg

Ah, different one then, thinking about it the BRMotorSport one pre-dates this (I think it was about 1986 ish - well before the G40 and G60s)

Thought i'd post up pics of my old corrado. It was super clean when i sold it. Had over 140k on clock but very quiet on tickover. Full history on car and supercharger with 180+ bhp. Guy who bought it off me didn't even try to knock down asking price. Think he said his dad races mx5s. As with most of my old cars Still miss it.
Still remember the mails i had about selling the Interior separately from car.
Was offered silly money for it but decided to sell car whole. Those Recaro seats were the best i have ever had in a car .
P1020491 (2).JPG

Attachments

• P1020493 (2).JPG
    P1020493 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 350
Last edited:
I also had a helios blue mk1 golf gti campaign. Apologies for poor picture quality, took pic of photo. When i purchased it the car had a full bbs bodykit on it and zender rear spoiler. Luckily it wasn't bonded to car, so within a month i had it looking all original. Except for compulsive grill spoiler and rear spoiler.

Attachments

• _20181027_111341.JPG
    _20181027_111341.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Thought i'd post up pics of my old corrado. It was super clean when i sold it. Had over 140k on clock but very quiet on tickover. Full history on car and supercharger with 180+ bhp. Guy who bought it off me didn't even try to knock down asking price. Think he said his dad races mx5s. As with most of my old cars Still miss it.

View attachment 44925

Nice, always had a soft spot for G60s :) When did you have it, I notice the CCGB numberplate surround.

Bought the corrado(my second G60) back in 2013 only had it for a year. It was a runner when i bought it but very rough around the sills and drivers' seat needed new bolsters and repair. Car also needed a thorough service. The car had only been used for short journeys by previous owner. Sold it(very reluctantly in 2014 ) as my daughter was learning to drive and i needed a car to teach her in.
Wish i had a bigger house with a garage, Or a smaller house with a BIG garage.

Last edited:
This was my first G60 bought it wayy back in 2003 Sold it in 2008. Apparently it was a very rare colour. Light grey metallic.

Attachments

• _20181027_120605.JPG
    _20181027_120605.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 331
Back