My plans - advice needed

Hi, I've just bought my A2 (see introductions).
It's a 1.4 Petrol Special Edition in silvery blue (I don't know the name of the colour), 2005, 4 seat, OSS.
I have some things I'd like to do it and wanted to get some advice from you all....

1. Front fog lamps
Currently does not have front fogs, I'd like to fit them.
- Is it possible?
- How much additional wiring is involved?
- Best source for parts?

2. CarPlay
It currently has a single DIN Audi concert CD stereo, then the Climate control module then a single DIN storage compartment.
I'd like to remove the storage, move the climate control down (either by modifying the facia to fir the curve or replacing the unit) and then fit a double DIN CarPlay unit above it.
- Is this possible?
- Do I need to replace any of the fittings inside the dash?
- My climate control unit supports heated seats so I'm thinking finding a suitable replacement will be harder than modifying what I have. Thoughts?
- What sort of adapter do I need to connect the Audi connectors to the new head unit?

3. Steering wheel
Ideally I'd like to fit a 3-spoke steering wheel maybe with some stereo controls
- Possible?

4. New alloys + spare/tires
I'm thinking of finding and fitting so silver 11-spoke TT alloys (pic below).
- Possible?
- What can I do about a spare?

5. Seats
- Can I retrofit a 3-seat in the back to replace my current 2-seat setup?

6. Rear Camera/Reversing sensors
- Can I retrofit a rear camera?
- Can I retrofit reversing sensors? Does the computer support them?

I know it's a lot in one post! Apologies. Happy to deal with them individually.

Example wheels but in the lighter colour.
iu.jpeg

Hi and welcome!

5. Seats: sadly the rear bench can’t be fitted in a four seater car...that why I plumped
For a 4 seater eventually as the 5 seaters seemed very few and far between

Hi and welcome!

5. Seats: sadly the rear bench can’t be fitted in a four seater car...that why I plumped
For a 4 seater eventually as the 5 seaters seemed very few and far between

Thank you! Good to know. It's not a deal breaker for me either thankfully so I'll cross that off the list.

I'll start with 4) New alloys + spare.

The TT RS4 17" 9-spokes as pictured were a factory option on A2's so are a straight fit. You will need 205/40 tyres to match the OEM size. Beware, though they look great these are heavy wheels which are also prone to buckling, and you get the harshest ride of all the wheel options on the A2. A compromise would be the 16" 7-spoke TT wheels, although they weren't offered with the A2. Again quite heavy but mine have proven to be robust so far - just watch out for inner bead deterioration which leads to loss of pressure.

In terms of a spare, a 15" or 16" A2 wheel with OEM tyre size fits flat in the boot under the false floor if you have one. A spare 17" would be slightly too deep to close the false floor over it. Alternatively there is the Vredestein space-saver folding spare which reduces its diameter as it deflates, to take up less boot space. This was a factory option which came with a mounting kit, where the wheel was screwed down through a hole in the lower floor, onto a bracket which went over the battery, replacing its existing retaining clamp. This kit can be retrofitted if you are prepared to drill the hole in the flap of your boot carpet - they come up in the Market here from time to time. The folding spare is inflated by the same factory compressor that is supposed to pump the standard equipment goo into a punctured tyre.

Welcome from me too. You can retrofit the fog lamps. You'll need to buy the headlight switch with the facility to turn them on as well as the lamps with the appropriate surrounds. If you have paid for access to the Marketplace, a Wanted ad should prove an effective way to buy the parts. Wiring is not something I know about but someone who has already done the mod will undoubtedly be along to tell you how it's done. Alternatively, @timmus, the forum's resident electronics guru can do the job, along with advising and, if necessary, fitting a different steering wheel, with controls for the audio system you have in mind, which he can advise on too. He'll also be able to advise on the reverse camera and its compatibility, or not, with the 'computer'. Perhaps a PM to timmus would be the best way to go!

I know Tom @timmus will have the most to say about 1), 2), 3) and 6) since they would all be items on his electrical retrofit menu. You'll want to talk to him for sure about wiring in these items, since no wiring for any optional extras is supplied, that were not ordered from new (with the sole exception of heated mirrors, where you just need the right mirror glass).

But I can say that for the parts for the foglights, including the surrounds and a foglight-enabled headlight switch, talk to our resident ethical breakers @A2Steve and @Clackers.

For the CarPlay conversion, you will need the cage from a double-DIN A2 dash, or even a complete dashboard swap since AFAIK you have to get it out to fit the cage. Double-DIN climate units with heated seat controls are pretty rare to find though so you might have to think about rounding off the lower corners on your single-DIN one.

Regarding the steering wheel, yes you can fit a 3-spoke wheel to replace the A2 four-spoke one, I know the one from the TT is directly compatible but I believe the A2's own one has slightly different wiring requirements - again, @timmus would confirm. There are no compatible 3-spoke wheels with any stereo controls though, apart from a couple of prototypes he's retrofitted.

Fog lights will need a switch, wiring and the lamps.
3spokes with audio controls never came with the car. Alternatives will need to be sought.
Wheel question was answered, along with the 3 seater one. Camera depends on your head unit and it's capabilities. Sensors require a control unit and wiring: the camera is probably cheaper.

Head unit: you are correct that hunting down double-DIN with seats is not trivial. Having said that, the move to double-DIN is also not trivial when you assume all parts should be fixed correctly; the single din dash has very different fixings in the console. If you do not need it, I would avoid, as the effort and cost to do it right will be significant. Maybe an SPH-20DAB would work for you? The parking sensors are around €45 when I last looked.

- Bret

Thanks everyone! From the answers you’ve kindly given I have a better set of questions :)

1. Front fog lamps
On their way, will fit the same time as the dash cage while the dash is off.

2. CarPlay
It sounds like I have three options:
- Replace the dash cage (but not the whole dash?) with one that supports the double DIN symphony unit? Ordered from eBay.
- Looking at this for the head unit.

3. Steering wheel

4. New alloys + spare/tires

DONE, thanks to @PlasticMac
802CD99C-3902-4ECB-B622-4ECFF26B8044.jpeg

5. Seats

6. Rear Camera/Reversing sensors
- Will fit a rear camera once the head unit is done.

Attachments

• FEB5C2FE-6130-405E-8049-D20DC1E61938.jpeg
    FEB5C2FE-6130-405E-8049-D20DC1E61938.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 509
Last edited:
1. Front fog lamps
The switch I have does have a single pullout option for fogs (rear I presume) so could I use this existing switch to also activate the front ones?
View attachment 66782

The law requires that front and rear fog lights have separate warning lamps visible to the driver whenever they are in use. The easiest way to achieve this is to obtain the correct switchgear, and associated wiring.

Connecting front fog lights to your existing switch will mean that you fail your next MoT - and because it is potentially unsafe, you're likely to be required to correct the problem before you can drive the car again.

The correct switch is hardly a major item of expenditure; they come up often enough in the Market here.

Thank you, that’s a good point.
It’s been a while since I owned a car so things like that I need to learn.

The law requires that front and rear fog lights have separate warning lamps visible to the driver whenever they are in use. The easiest way to achieve this is to obtain the correct switchgear, and associated wiring.

Connecting front fog lights to your existing switch will mean that you fail your next MoT - and because it is potentially unsafe, you're likely to be required to correct the problem before you can drive the car again.

The correct switch is hardly a major item of expenditure; they come up often enough in the Market here.

Thanks everyone! From the answers you’ve kindly given I have a better set of questions :)

1. Front fog lamps
The switch I have does have a single pullout option for fogs (rear I presume) so could I use this existing switch to also activate the front ones?
View attachment 66782

2. CarPlay

- Get very creative with cutting up the existing dash so the A/C unit fits at the bottom and a double DIN cage is secure in the top?

It is relatively easy to fit the climate panel from a single DIN dash into a Double DIN dash. You just need to file the lower outside edges, The lower half is slanted and the lower corners are rounded, but you can file these to fit.

Steve B

On the fog lamp switch - why not upgrade straight to the Bluetooth automatic light switch with coming / leaving home function?

Done right / well it looks very swish.

LINK

They are out of stock at the moment but a great suggestion.
For around £31 you get a brand new switch that is fully automatic and with coming home/ leaving home functions too. Keep an eye on the “auto headlights” thread and I will let everyone know when they are back in stock. Really is a “no tools” ten minute install (with an option to do a bit more work if you want to improve the look, but this is optional)
Steve B

They are out of stock at the moment but a great suggestion.
For around £31 you get a brand new switch that is fully automatic and with coming home/ leaving home functions too. Keep an eye on the “auto headlights” thread and I will let everyone know when they are back in stock. Really is a “no tools” ten minute install (with an option to do a bit more work if you want to improve the look, but this is optional)
Steve B
I’d like one of these too, I’ll keep an eye out ?

The Pioneer you linked is a US market one. US radio frequencies are different. The principle is good but the screen will also block the vents in the middle if that's important to you. That's where most of the hot air in winter and cool air in summer is blasted.

I disagree on the ease of moving a single-DIN climate panel, having tried it a few years ago.

- Bret

Regarding the head unit.
You could go with a mechless single din radio, such as Kenwood kmm or Pioneer mvh series.
Previously had a Pioneer unit, now a Kenwood one. I use bluetooth to play youtube music.
It also can be controlled through an android app, options like front and rear speakers high pass filter.

Neo

Last edited:
Okay I'll throw my 2peneth in...

Stereo - If you need to ask and you care about sound quality in the slightest, DO NOT CHANGE TO AFTERMARKET ...

The stereos in A2s are notoriously fickle and sound pretty good even in stock form. If you change the headunit, you can fudge it to work, but the sound quality is always a disappointment, unless you end up changing the speakers - which in itself is a nightmare as the size of the speakers does not conform to ANY other speaker size, you will have to fabricate brackets and unless you have a lot of time, patience, expertise and money it really isn't worth it.

So, what can you do ...

A Bluetooth Adaptor is usually the best (and in the long run - cheapest) route. These are available for about £75 from Amazon and are pretty much a 5 minute install with the basic stereo removal tool and a small Torx screwdriver the only tools you need.

You can then pair this up with your phone, get a windscreen mount for the phone and Bob's your mother's brother!

For integrated SatNav and better sound quality, upgrade to BOSE and the RNS-E Headunit, although this can get expensive as may involve double-din dash conversion etc...

For full advise, again, I recommend chatting to @timmus

That‘s interesting, I’d not heard of concerns about sound quality before.

The intention driving the head unit change is to get the CarPlay functionality so I can use my phone for music/nav/podcasts etc...
I’m OK with a loss in sound quality as I’m not a huge audiophile, though I appreciate that is more important for many people.

Stereo - If you need to ask and you care about sound quality in the slightest, DO NOT CHANGE TO AFTERMARKET ...

A Bluetooth Adaptor is usually the best (and in the long run - cheapest) route. These are available for about £75 from Amazon and are pretty much a 5 minute install with the basic stereo removal tool and a small Torx screwdriver the only tools you need.

That‘s interesting, I’d not heard of concerns about sound quality before.

The intention driving the head unit change is to get the CarPlay functionality so I can use my phone for music/nav/podcasts etc...
I’m OK with a loss in sound quality as I’m not a huge audiophile, though I appreciate that is more important for many people.

You can still stream podcasts, music etc. via the AnyCar BT streamer device, and not lose sound quality, plus it's much cheaper as no hacking of centre console, having a stereo that just looks out of place etc.

You can still stream podcasts, music etc. via the AnyCar BT streamer device, and not lose sound quality, plus it's much cheaper as no hacking of centre console, having a stereo that just looks out of place etc.
I too have the AnyCarLink 1080-B. Any app on your phone, Waze, (navigation), Poweramp (mp3) UK Radioplayer (radio, bbc & commercial). Supports an SD Card (mimics CD changer, 9 folders, 99 tracks in each) plus hands free calls. Hard to best imo.
Mac.

Back