New A2 owner

ScottLee

Hi guys,
Just recently bought my first A2, ( 1.6 FSi) all I can say is what a car! Always admired them from afar and wow completely hooked. It needs a little tlc which I will give it. I am not mechanically minded but I have a great semi retired mechanic to call on. This site is a god send as the experience on here is invaluable. Just hope you don't mind me picking your collective brain now and then.

Welcome aboard the A2 forum where we all love an A2. We need pics, colour year interior etc etc looking forward to what you've got and your experience of the fsi.:) Cheers Mark.

Welcome to A2 ownership and a2oc --my first A2 was an FSI i had it for 7 years and did almost 180k miles. Remember to run it on high octane fuel (i used momentum from tesco) and don't poodle around it it as they love a good rev and driven hard regularly to keep the inlet clean.
Please join us at some socials as we love seeing new owners and their cars. cheers mike

Welcome to the fold Scott.

The FSI has its problems, but it is a great fit in the A2, light, reasonably powerful, flexible enough to enable short-shifting to maximise fuel economy, yet punchy enough in the light-weight body to deliver respectable performance.

As you have already discovered the A2 is a delight and a hidden treasure in the automobile world. As Mike says, hopefully see you at a social this year. Pictures are obligatory I'm afraid... ;)

Happy motoring!

Cheers,

Darren

Welcome :)
I’m newish too, or at least, I had a false start a couple of years ago ;)
Great cars...I’m in the process of sorting out the niggles, then cosmetics of the one I bought earlier this year!

On the plus side a tidy out of the glovebox today revealed a node mirror glass, with the convex outer edge, and an aluminium handbrake button. No idea how easy either are to fit, but I’m sure all will become clear!

On the plus side a tidy out of the glovebox today revealed a node mirror glass, with the convex outer edge, and an aluminium handbrake button. No idea how easy either are to fit, but I’m sure all will become clear!

Mirror glass is straightforward. I'd recommend taping up the one on the car and the new one to strengthen them. Angle the mirror as far in as you can so that get you can your fingers behind. Spread your fingers wide and push the glass out, keeping your other hand in front to catch it. If it is heated, it will need the wire connectors removing - refitting is a reversal of the above. The handbrake grip is also straightforward, pull the handbrake handle forward and it will slide off to reveal the button mechanism. It merely needs the tabs pushing in to release it. Refitting is a reversal again.

Cheers,

Darren

Welcome, you will find lots of friendly members willing to give advice and help wherever they can. There is also a good supply of replacement parts from people breaker cars (this, however, is always done as a last resort as members want to keep the cars on the road and not just make money off selling parts).

Welcome :). Re the mirrors I taped the edges of the wing mirror housing (the painted bit) at the bottom (I recall) and then used a plastic scraper for de-icing freezers (i.e. wide thin scraper). Used this to lever out the mirror using a gloved hand against the mirror to take the strain. It will suddenly pop out, hence the other hand to catch it.

Welcome :)
I’m newish too, or at least, I had a false start a couple of years ago ;)
Great cars...I’m in the process of sorting out the niggles, then cosmetics of the one I bought earlier this year!

A couple more tips on handbrake button replacement in this thread which may help if the grip is tight - https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/changing-handbrake-lever-knob.17736/post-134621

Cheers Spike

Thanks everyone. Out today, but I’ll try replacing the handbrake button and mirror glass during the week!

While searching for the CCCU this morning (YouTube came to the rescue!) I also found a control arm (I think...?) in the boot. Any use? Or is it scrap?

There’s was also 20p by the CCCU, but I didn’t notice that until I looked at the picture, so it’s still there!
3242FB03-DDA1-41E7-801D-262A4B0FF0EA.jpeg
91C72C6C-0F6A-475E-B788-B99773FC1CE6.jpeg

I forgot to replace the handbrake button today. I’ll do that tomorrow! And maybe even reclaim the 20p ;)

Anyone got any idea if that control arm is of any use?

Last edited:
I forgot to replace the handbrake button today. I’ll do that tomorrow! And maybe even reclaim the 20p ;)

Anyone got any idea if that control arm is of any use?

Control arm looks like the better cast? Vs later pressed steel one (which have been failing) though I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. :)
I recently collected a pile of coppers from the A2 I was removing parts from in the scrappy, no point leaving it there. :)

I have absolutely no need for it - you’re welcome to it :)
You’re in Middlesex? Not sure how postable it is mind...?

You could combine it with getting your key coded? You could leave it with me and I will make sure that Mark gets it.

Steve B

That’s very kind Steve. If that works for you Mark I’m happy to do that. Will need to wrap it up well to make sure my freshly valeted beige carpet remains pristine though ?

Welcome aboard the A2 forum where we all love an A2. We need pics, colour year interior etc etc looking forward to what you've got and your experience of the fsi.:) Cheers Mark.
Hi Mark,
Well I'm 2 months in owning my A2 and I still love it. It came with a couple of problems but slowly but surely getting them sorted. It leaked in through the glove box but this was just blocked drainage. All sorted. The previous owner ran the wiper with a faulty blade and I have a lovely mark on my windscreen, having it polished out at the wend. It's dark blue, don't know the exact colour, basic interior but unmarked and very clean. FSH 55k. Came with roof bars, took them off. Gonna take some pics soon. Oh and the stereo only picks up 2 stations... Keep looking for others on the road, not seen many.

Back