New A2 owners :)

Disco Stu

Good evening all,
We picked up an A2 tdi the other day after doing a bit of searching around, all the decent ones in our locale seemed to be sold before we had chance to look (rang 4 up within 50 mile over a week, all were sold :()
Anyway we were over in Manchester and decided to see what was in the area and found a nice 1.4 tdi 2002 A2 Sport had a look and agreed to buy it, 2 days later after sorting insurance and other things out I’m on a train going to collect it.

The drive home proved that it was as nice a drive as on the test drive however temperature gauge does not get past 80 and drops when stationary or if the heater is on. I’ve got a new thermostat ready to fit, so thats Sunday’s job along with seeing if I can programme the key fob.

Looks like a good forum, thanks for letting me be part of it!

In this cold weather my car won’t stay at 90 with any heating on unless I’m on the motorway over 60 if I’m driving eco anything above 18C will cause the temp gauge to drop, new temp sender and thermostat and exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good evening all,
We picked up an A2 tdi the other day after doing a bit of searching around, all the decent ones in our locale seemed to be sold before we had chance to look (rang 4 up within 50 mile over a week, all were sold :()
Anyway we were over in Manchester and decided to see what was in the area and found a nice 1.4 tdi 2002 A2 Sport had a look and agreed to buy it, 2 days later after sorting insurance and other things out I’m on a train going to collect it.

The drive home proved that it was as nice a drive as on the test drive however temperature gauge does not get past 80 and drops when stationary or if the heater is on. I’ve got a new thermostat ready to fit, so thats Sunday’s job along with seeing if I can programme the key fob.

Looks like a good forum, thanks for letting me be part of it!
Welcome on board, we are a friendly bunch on here, lots of advice freely given

As Edwrai as already said, there is little spare heat from the 3 bot engine, so when the outside temp is low and the webesto is turned off (in ECO mode) unless the engine is about 2000 RPM the gauge will drop back from 90 Deg C. However if you are not seeing 90 Deg C when on a sustained run at 2000 RPM or above, even with the heater on full, then the thermostat is the most likely cause, closely followed by the engine temp sensor
The Thermostat is difficult to get to the bottom of the two bolts, I always remove the alternator. You will need some G12 or G13 antifreeze to top up the cooling system.

Do post back with outcome

Cheers,

Well I got round to changing the thermostat today and the end results are that I am most happy. Temperature gauge reads as I think it should; 90 on a good run.

Had to make a tool out of an old 10mm socket, M6 nuts and bolts and a blob of weld so I could get the bottom bolt out without removing the alternator:

DF34C6C5-D3E1-45F5-965A-B69786531AC8.jpeg

Tried looking for a Haynes manual, but I have a feeling they didn’t make one so ended up using my old Polo one for the engine bit.

Back