New Crankshaft Sensor

Last Sunday afternoon, just as I was stationary on the roundabout, waiting to get onto the M5, the engine stalled. All on its own, no action by me. So I restarted it and set off down the sliproad.

On the sliproad, there were a couple of jerks/lurches, and all the brake warnings came on. This was not looking good, but I've had all sorts go wrong, and still managed. It got worse.

More jerkiness, and other warnings, so I pulled onto the hard shoulder, still within sight of the junction. As the car came to a stop, I noticed that the engine was not running. On turning off and on, I lost all the warnings, but the engine would not restart. Cue the RAC.

Half an hour or so later, and a quick tow to the next services, the RAC man plugs his computer in and sees this:

System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUESName: AMF - TDI - 1.4L - 55 (75)
DTC: 16706,Engine speed sensor input circuit no signalDTC: 65535,No trouble codes stored in the system
System Type: BRAKES
Name: ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM - MARK 60DTC: 01314,Engine control unit
System Type: IMMOBILISERName: IMMO/INSTR - DIAGNOSEDTC: 01304,Radio
System Type: LOCKING SYSTEM
Name: CONVENIENCE SYSTEM - DIAGNOSE
DTC: 01370,Alarm from passenger compartment monitoringDTC: 01369,Alarm from bonnet switch
DTC: 01371,Driver door open [Alarm Triggers]
DTC: 00955,Key 1; adaption limit exceeded
DTC: 65535,No trouble codes stored in the system
System Type: AIRBAG ELECTRONICS (SRS)Name: AIRBAG - AIRBAG 5
System Type: PARK DISTANCE CONTROLName: PARKING ASSISTANCE - DIAGNOSEDTC: 65535,No trouble codes stored in the system
System Type: SOUND SYSTEM
Name: RADIO - DIAGNOSE
System Type: AC SYSTEM
Name: CLIMATE CONTROL - CLIMATRONIC
DTC: 01271,Step motor temperature damper
DTC: 00600,Step motor potentiometer, temperature damperDTC: 65535,No trouble codes stored in the system
System Type: INSTRUMENT PANELName: INSTRUMENT - DIAGNOSEDTC: 01304,Radio
System Type: INSTRUMENT PANEL
Name: INTERIOR MONITORING - DIAGNOSEDTC: 65535,No trouble codes stored in the system

But even before he'd cleared them all, the car started perfectly normally. So we decide that I'll follow him back home, and see what happens.

Within half a mile of home, the same thing happens - judders, lots of warnings, no revs.

So towed to the garage and left for the morning. Just as a test, once it's parked up outside reception, I tried to start it, and it did start.

The garage diagnosis of this was that the crankshaft position sensor had failed. Apparently, failing on getting warm is a classic symptom. Job done, and I picked it up yesterday.

I haven't driven it much yet. I hope they are right.

Back