New home workstation

sciroccorrado

A2OC Donor
Due to the self isolation I have finally got around to building my new CD Ripper, sound editing computer ...

For the geeks amongst you ... @mrbroons etc
1585239720811.png

I'm just waiting for the delivery of the extra 64GB of ram.

IMG_20200326_162023.jpg

I can now rip 6 full length CDs in 3.5 minutes with full error checking.

Fantastic!! It looks like you have some tasty GPU's in there as well sir. Would it be possible for you to install FAH to support looking for answers to the COVID-19 issues. I have done this but recently sold my golliath machine so am limited in GPU's.

Might be worth creating an A2OC folding team to see how far we can get? Admins? My team is 78042 and I'm apparently 771st in the world, was as high as low 500's recently. Feel free to join my team if that is easier just now.

Follow this link and instructions to install - I use it at home and I'm in IT Sec for a business.

https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

Details on their work for COVID - https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

If anyone wants to join then it all helps. Hope this is ok Admin? @murdo

Last edited:
I used to do this when I had my shop, and I can't remember what it was called. The main problem was that it kept your CPUs running all the time, and used 100% CPU power. Which got expensive quite quickly.

Yes, this uses CPU and/or GPU, but does use power for sure. I run this from solar so it doesn't really impact me, but good point.

I'd love to run solar, but with a new build it was too late to make it worth it with the subsidies.
I have 2x DL360P G8 servers in the garage that run my "home lab/family environment" - they use about 500w each sometimes. Then there's the NAS server with 26x3TB hard drives in it...

Nice work on the NAS front, presume this is a home build. I'm a QNAP guy myself. Sitting at just over 100Tb (it's never enough!) so my bills are slightly lower for power as I'm consuming only 500w for the whole house overnight (read with no load but the NAS's and household necessities). I got in on the solar max tariff in 2012 and then added another system in 2018, it works well and has paid for itself. All rather academic in the rain today! :)

Not quite to your standards guys, but along the same lines, my gaming rig:

49701723112_2b166ca62e_c.jpg

Watercooled 980Ti
4930k Watercooled and overclocked to 4.6ghz
3 SSD's
16GB 2400

Spec is a few years old now, it was quite a beast when I built it :) I can't bring myself to pay Nvidea prices for their top of the range GPU's anymore!

Nice work on the NAS front, presume this is a home build. I'm a QNAP guy myself. Sitting at just over 100Tb (it's never enough!) so my bills are slightly lower for power as I'm consuming only 500w for the whole house overnight (read with no load but the NAS's and household necessities). I got in on the solar max tariff in 2012 and then added another system in 2018, it works well and has paid for itself. All rather academic in the rain today! :)

The NAS is a HP DL320 server too, so not home built.

Ha ha, sorry, I meant the server is a self build NAS e.g running FreeNAS on similar or is it literally just a large server running Windows or Linux with file services?

PS great rigs guys, keep em coming, anyone else got a cool setup?

Hopefully it counts...

Built a race/flight simulator to go with my rig a few years ago

27498256325_da199512b1_c.jpg

Even had a custom wheel made for it
23315392571_b4de252188_c.jpg
I’m no techi far from it I grew up with an abacus ?? but can only be impressed by this set up I thought it was off the set of star trek ?

Hopefully it counts...

Built a race/flight simulator to go with my rig a few years ago

27498256325_da199512b1_c.jpg

Even had a custom wheel made for it
23315392571_b4de252188_c.jpg

AMAZING setup!!! awesome!! If you ever get a chance to video it working doing some driving I'd love to see that!

Ask and ye shall receive :)

This shows the rig in action quite well, although no sound I'm afraid. No laughing at the gloves, they're required! The wheel was build by me (from plans and diagrams available) and the motor was a direct drive from a CNC machine, capable of 20nm and the pedals had 50kg of braking pressure.
I don't have it anymore, it was all sold off to fund a house move a few years ago. One day I'll build another.

Here's a lap of the Nordschleife in a Porsche Cup car that's a little more immersive.

Haha! :)

It was great fun, Sim Racing is a bigger hobby then you might think. I raced against some quite famous drivers if you're into racing (lots use it as a training aid), took part in several 24 hour races as part of a team working together to drive 1 car. There was a fantastic community, much like here :)

Haha! :)

It was great fun, Sim Racing is a bigger hobby then you might think. I raced against some quite famous drivers if you're into racing (lots use it as a training aid), took part in several 24 hour races as part of a team working together to drive 1 car. There was a fantastic community, much like here :)

Strangely enough I was watching a video about this last night,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Spa, such a classic circuit, been there so many times and still love the place like the first time I went soooo many years ago
Great rig BTW
Paul

Spa is my favorite track too. I've never been there, one day hopefully.

Back