New Key Help

disting

Hi everyone, would be grateful for your advice and assistance.
Unfortunately, while away on holiday (in the UK) I recently had a burglary from MY car (the missus A2 Tdi sport, 54 reg, was at home) and her beloved A2's keys were nicked from my car along with some other stuff. Gutted.
It has been a very expensive exercise already changing house locks and car windows, and now the Audi dealers want to rob me of a fortune for a new A2 key. !!
We currently have 1 key that works for it.
I would like another new key as a spare.
I am not that worried that the thief can link the keys with our home address , however, who knows, so wondered whether the 'coding could be changed for both keys once we have them rendering the nicked ones useless while we are at it.?? Thoughts?.
My questions then I suppose are
1/, how do I go about getting a new correct 3 button key fob with blank blade (understand from other threads there are different ones) cheaply .
2/ will the blank be the correct one , which I need to have cut. Again where can that be done cheaply.
3/ I presume after all that I will need to get it coded/paired to the car to operate the doors by remote, and also have it paired to the imobiliser, (and have both old and new codes changed to render the nicked one
Useless if that's possible/sensible).
I have the plastic thingy that came with the keys when we bought the car new, which has 2 codes in it- a capital letter followed by 6 digits, and also 12A followed by a 5 digit number. I presume one of them is some sort of key code? Not sure why there's 2 codes though.........
I have read a lot of the threads but wondered if things might have changed or members mentioned in them left the A2 community in the last couple of years.
Thanks very much indeed in advance for any help and assistance. As usual , a really great site and most of all, people.
Cheers

Hi,

This is very much a holding post just to show you are not being ignored.

I am sure Steve Birchall will respond in due course but I think he is tied up debating this evening! Steve has all the expertise and can probably provide a normal second key, roughly £50, but that does not include the extra security measures you understandably require.

I could answer some of your points but not fully so for now a few simple points to start.

You mention cost - I assume you have checked your wife's motor insurance for cover.

You mention changing remote locking codes to render the thief's key useless in this respect but they will still be able to use the stolen key blade to manually gain access to the cabin. - have you forgotten this or is it important? The only way to stop this is replace the door lock which means replacing the ignition key cylinder to match, and having a different key blade to go with these.

If the thief wanted to steal the car it would be gone by now but as a short term measure I would use a steering wheel lock, the kind of thing that clamps across the wheel.

As a start, here is a link to Steve's service it will answer some of your questions.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...-keys-available-for-the-a2.35140/#post-307546

Andy

Back