New knocking noise after oil change

Hi everyone. Had my local mechanic do a engine oil and filter and transmission oil change today (I know I should do it myself but no time) but now there is a new knocking noise quite distinct think coming from the bonnet, not all the time in 1st and pulling into 2nd or slowing from 2nd into first. Only had a shirt drive this evening. I'll give it a proper run on the commute tomorrow and report back but ant ideas? The noise was not there before the mechanic did his "works". Cheers in advance for your thoughts.

First thing I'd do is take the bonnet off and have a look, see if you can spot where the noise is coming from.

Did just that kept the engine running and can't detect it. Put the bonnet back on left standing couldn't hear it .... So only when moving in 1st or second

For the transmission oil removal the garage would of removed the dogbone engine mount under the gearbox (unless they sucked it out the filler) I would start by looking at that.

First thing to do is to check there is not too much oil in the engine. Pull out your dipstick AND MAKE SURE THE END IS STILL ON IT. If it is broken then the mechanic will fill it up until the level is on what is left of the end. If that is what has happened you now need to do 2 things. Firstly get a pair of replacement dipstick ends from Paul @depronman and once one if fitted drain out the excess oil. I would not recommend driving until the level is correct. If the oil is fine then as above dog bone ( pendulum mount ) loose or off.

They put in 4.2litres does that sound correct. The very end of the dip stick is snapped prior but it does show the max marking. If the dog bone is loose (and i will be fuming if so) is it dangerous to drive? I could possibly use another car tomorrow as a precaution but I would have issues with the wife. Thanks always to the great collective knowledge here.

If you remove the bonnet and can rock the engine forwards and back then bog bone probably not connected. Have you checked the level of the engine oil? Swap the end over ASAP. Dangerous possible inadvisible definitely.

From this if anything is broken off below a then good chance overfilled even to the top of the remaining orange plastic. Quantity they put in is about correct, depends on how well the drained out the old oil first.

When you get the replacement ends from paul, you break the remains of the old orange end off the metal cable and glue on one of the 3D printed ones ( come 2 in a pack ). You then have a fully functional dipstick that is easier to read than an original one. No confusion about oil levels.

On the picture I posted mark what is left of your dipstick end and where the oil level currently is. Or post a picture that clearly shows both. If the only mark is "a" then mech will use that as MINIMUM and fill up to the top of the orange plastic.

Cheers everyone, going back in on Tuesday when they remedy, they have been very good for me up to this point just think rushed job before bank holiday weekend and I think the best chap is on holiday. When I had the dog bone checked some time ago said there was a little play but not the issue and quoted 300 for the part as unique to the a2. This did not seem right to me what do you think?

Just remove the bonnet and see if you can rock the engine back and forwards, if it moves and there's a noise then it's the dog-bone mount.
£300 to replace is too much, it's a £60 part if you buy an A2 version (£35 if you go for Polo), and it takes an hour at the most to change. (10 minutes if you are doing a gearbox oil change)

Half the job would be removing the under-tray, I haven’t got one so for me it would just be jack car up then remove 5 bolts, swap then do up, 20mins? But if it was ok before the oil change and then a sudden deterioration afterward, then that sound like its loose or still on the bench at the garage.

Ok all Good information cheers, just an update the knocking is only when NOT underload ie when changing gears and parked or stopped balancing the clutch.

Back