New member, about to make an A2 Purchase

Phil_B

Hello everyone.

I have been on the lookout for a cool, and retro ULEZ com[pliant car for a few months due to my location just outside London Borough Croydon, and the proposed (and hopefully challenged) expansion.
My brother suggested the A2, and I am really liking them. I have been looking around for a while, getting a feel for the market etc, and learning about issues, foibles etc. Mechanically, I am very capable as i currently have more than one Rover 800.... (See below).
My budget is around £2500, maybe more. Must have AC, preferably a dark interior, good history. The usual stuff. Double DIN head unit with Bose sound would be very nice, but I know they are hard to come by. I do like my music.
The Coupe has am Alpine CRA 9812RB head unit, Alpine Sub and dedicated amp, with Kenwood 4 channel amp, Pioneer 8" 3 way in the stock holes rear, and Alpine 6 1/2 component fronts, and Dynamat fitted.

One thing my brother said about the A2 is that the audio in these is superb because of the all Aluminium bodywork. I am looking forward to this.

I have a checksheet of things to look for on my hunt, but anything to be excessively wary of when looking? 1.4 and 1.6Fsi

Going to look at a car this week hopefully, reg VK54KWJ.

I will hopefully become a regular user of this forum, keeping these cool cars alive.

Enjoy the non Audi car pix below. :)

Screenshot_20221219_232224_OneDrive.jpg

My Pride and Joy. a VERY rare 2.7 V6 manual coupe. Only made 62 to special order. I've had this for nearly 20 years. Its had a full nut, bolt , bush and bearing suspension rebuild 3 years ago.

Screenshot_20211217-084331_OneDrive.jpg

One of my others, in front of the Coupe. A late model Nightfire Red fastback Vitesse. This is being sold at present to make way for the Audi. It was not in a very good state when I got it and saved its life.

Morning Phil,

Nice looking fleet. It maybe worth upgrading your account to allow access to the Market Forum, where you might just find what you’re looking for. Remember a member owned vehicle might be a better route than an offering from elsewhere on the internet, that said there are some non-member A2s out there which have turned out to be a complete bargain.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Morning Phil,

Nice looking fleet. It maybe worth upgrading your account to allow access to the Market Forum, where you might just find what you’re looking for. Remember a member owned vehicle might be a better route than an offering from elsewhere on the internist, that said there are some non-member A2s out there which have turned out to be a complete bargain.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thanks, I have done that. Awaiting confirmatrion

Hi Phil

I went to secondary school in Warlingham! From the MOT history of this car it has had some historic corrosion items getting picked up on MOTs so worth checking these have been addressed. A2s are aluminium but do have ferrous parts in the suspension, so do have a a good look. In particular, the front wishbones are likely to be pressed steel so check carefully for rust, they do it from the inside out! Best of luck

Check this forum for things to be aware of with the 1.6 FSI

Justin

Welcome! The is a super rare car!! I had a 420 gsi in nightmare red. Lovely drive before it overheated.

Looks like you like the slightly rarer options. The colours to find for rarity are jaipur red, imola yellow cobalt blue, castle red for a start. Good luck there's a castle red petrol for sale elsewhere at the moment. ....

Greetings Phil,

Welcome aboard, as already mentioned, signing up to market place is probably a better place to seek your new car. Members cars tend to be a better bet.

Best of luck.

Hi Phil

I went to secondary school in Warlingham! From the MOT history of this car it has had some historic corrosion items getting picked up on MOTs so worth checking these have been addressed. A2s are aluminium but do have ferrous parts in the suspension, so do have a a good look. In particular, the front wishbones are likely to be pressed steel so check carefully for rust, they do it from the inside out! Best of luck

Check this forum for things to be aware of with the 1.6 FSI

Justin
Small world. I went to De Stafford :)
i still live in the area, moved back into Dads to care for him before he passed with Dementia.

i am aware that the 1.6 has some engine issues over the 1.4, and that suspension can corrode. Will be having a very good look over it, and any other, with a spot light and microscope.

With your experience, an FSI would not be a problem, I'd think.
You do need to understand the FSI engine and cooling system. If you do that, it is not so difficult. Is FSI'ers are still learning, but that's not a bad thing.
Don't consider very high mileage FSIs, they've probably not been looked after, run on 95 octane, (FSI must be fed 98/99 octane Super Unleaded), and skipped oil, filter, and, most importantly, cam belt/water pump/tensioner.
Any help or advice you need will be available here.
Mac.

Welcome to the forum,
Looking at your budget I would say buy a cheap one & spend the rest doing the usual Fsi issues as well as cam belt etc etc to include a pro boost ECU Followed by as Mac mentioned high octane fuel ( I use Tesco Momentum ) and enjoy the ride, you will still have some change left over from your budget,
Ami

As you are only 28.3 miles away down the M23, maybe have a look in my warehouse & see my ones

Yup. I get alerts 😎
This was for sale a while back. Major paint work required on the off side and has had a price hike since last for sale. Would really check the underside on this one as it looks like it’s been in persistent wind, possibly by coast so off side front headlight, off side front wing and rear door look sand blasted

This was for sale a while back. Major paint work required on the off side and has had a price hike since last for sale. Would really check the underside on this one as it looks like it’s been in persistent wind, possibly by coast so off side front headlight, off side front wing and rear door look sand blasted
Oh, yes. Normally look on my phone, but on the PC, yeah, that needs a LOT of work on the paint.

Hello everyone.

I have been on the lookout for a cool, and retro ULEZ com[pliant car for a few months due to my location just outside London Borough Croydon, and the proposed (and hopefully challenged) expansion.
My brother suggested the A2, and I am really liking them. I have been looking around for a while, getting a feel for the market etc, and learning about issues, foibles etc. Mechanically, I am very capable as i currently have more than one Rover 800.... (See below).
My budget is around £2500, maybe more. Must have AC, preferably a dark interior, good history. The usual stuff. Double DIN head unit with Bose sound would be very nice, but I know they are hard to come by. I do like my music.
The Coupe has am Alpine CRA 9812RB head unit, Alpine Sub and dedicated amp, with Kenwood 4 channel amp, Pioneer 8" 3 way in the stock holes rear, and Alpine 6 1/2 component fronts, and Dynamat fitted.

One thing my brother said about the A2 is that the audio in these is superb because of the all Aluminium bodywork. I am looking forward to this.

I have a checksheet of things to look for on my hunt, but anything to be excessively wary of when looking? 1.4 and 1.6Fsi

Going to look at a car this week hopefully, reg VK54KWJ.

I will hopefully become a regular user of this forum, keeping these cool cars alive.

Enjoy the non Audi car pix below. :)

View attachment 105265
My Pride and Joy. a VERY rare 2.7 V6 manual coupe. Only made 62 to special order. I've had this for nearly 20 years. Its had a full nut, bolt , bush and bearing suspension rebuild 3 years ago.

View attachment 105266
One of my others, in front of the Coupe. A late model Nightfire Red fastback Vitesse. This is being sold at present to make way for the Audi. It was not in a very good state when I got it and saved its life.
Hi Phil, there appear to be three routes to A2 ownership. The easiest is to go for one of the low mileage dealer ones on offer at the moment, they seem to be from £7200 down to £5500. Mainly TDIs (not ULEZ). The second would be buying one of of here. Loads of great knowledge, and cars are looked after- it depends if you want it 'upgraded' or original condition. The Third route is the one I chose which is a Facebook Marketplace special, which are usually the high mileage tired ones covered in kiddy vomit with missing parts. They are cheap but can be immediately taken to be restored- the aim being that once you've spent twice what you paid for it, its worth more, and is better the devil you know and fixed up and reliable. At least that was my theory!

Small world. I went to De Stafford :)
i still live in the area, moved back into Dads to care for him before he passed with Dementia.

i am aware that the 1.6 has some engine issues over the 1.4, and that suspension can corrode. Will be having a very good look over it, and any other, with a spot light and microscope.
Small indeed, I was born in Oxted, just at the bottom of Titsey Hill and my mum taught at De Stafford! I’m glad @Ami has reached out. I consider myself extremely fortunate he is just 10-15 mins away from me. Well worth your while paying him a visit

J

Reactions: Ami
Welcome! The is a super rare car!! I had a 420 gsi in nightmare red. Lovely drive before it overheated.

Looks like you like the slightly rarer options. The colours to find for rarity are jaipur red, imola yellow cobalt blue, castle red for a start. Good luck there's a castle red petrol for sale elsewhere at the moment. ....

Back