New Member - Getting my 1st A2

Hi all,

Long time admirer, first time buyer.

Just put a deposit on a 2000 1.4 SE and familiarising myself with things before going to look at it this weekend.

Seems like it's relatively tidy with fsh, 2 keys, 12 months MOT etc. Is there anything key and important I should be looking out for?

Any tips appreciated - I'm having a good dig through threads on here soaking in as much info as is humanly possible.

Thanks,

Sam

Welcome to the forum Sam :) Early cars like the one you're interested in don't have the things that Audi got wrong later in the production run, like soft-touch buttons and pressed steel wishbones, so that's good. Have a look at the big list of how-to's to get some idea of things that can typically need to get sorted, there's plenty of general information in there too, loads to absorb!

If it has the glass panoramic sunroof, it's can be fixed bymember @Kleynie on here if it's not working at all and/or making clicking noises, but this could be a fair few hundred pounds.
Knock £25 off for each clicking door checkstrap, £50 for a wiper arm which has scratched the windscreen (possibly plus the cost of your insurance excess to replace the screen, according to your conscience). Those parts and more are available refurbished from @depronman on here.
Fuel flap not opening and/or interior light not coming on when opening the driver's door is often a dry solder joint on the lock microswitch, no money as such but a complete door stripdown to fix. Never leave the key inside with the doors & windows shut unless you've also got another one outside!
Fuel flap release can also be a broken switch, it's on the B-pillar, but you can open it from a rod behind the rear lights panel in the boot.
Early OEM radio headunits can have issues with the volume control, it may have been replaced with a nasty Halfords tinny flashing thing already in which case beware of butchery to the wiring if you want to retrofit the proper unit.

I'm sure there are more things that other people will think of, but good luck with your purchase and here's hoping it's a nice one :)

Last edited:
1.4i.

Good wee engine but there are parts and issues that go with age.

Assuming no lights or warning messages when started, let it idle. If the car is warmed up and the idle settles down to somewhere below 1000rpm smoothly with no pulsing or waving around of the rev counter needle, this is quite handy. Conversely, if it wavers up and down a wee bit or stutters at certain revs, start needing to think about cleanliness of throttle body and associated pipework & EGR. Misfires - usual ignition things - spark plugs, cables, and in particular, the coil. This cracks on the reverse side (against the engine block) or underneath where you can't see and can lose sparks to earth, causing misfires. Oil catch trap quite often needs doing. Have a look underneath for oil. The oil pressure switch sensor often goes (ours had), this is a 5 minute fix for substantially less than a tenner - oil pours through the end of the connector and out around where the sensor wire goes in.

Obviously belts and things will need to have been done, as well as good history of oil and filter changes, brake fluid after this time?

As with any A2, clunks / boings when steering at low speeds and knocks going over road potholes, start thinking about strut top bearing for the former, and also anti-roll bar bushes and / or drop links for the latter. A knock deep down by your clutch pedal area when coming on and off the power in 1st / 2nd gear quite often indicates the lower gearbox mount bush (dogbone) is worn. You tend to become very familiar with the Febi-Bilstein small parts catalogue to find reference numbers of the various bits, bushes, rubber seats and bolts or kits of these that keep the suspension and steering running smoothly. Shocks and brake discs / drums & associated pads may need to be considered. Is the handbrake properly adjusted and working on both wheels after three clicks?

There should be an undertray under the engine bay (which helps with wind noise and fuel economy) - if not, examine the bottom of the bumper edge for damage - if this is knackered then refitting a new one is more difficult. Oil from driveshaft seals coming out of gearbox, and sometimes steering rack leaks also common at this age. Driveshaft CV joint boots.

Best of luck, and welcome!

Last edited:
Just to add to the very detailed answers already: check the rear registration plate lights as they tend to disintegrate and fall apart with time.
Also, turn the headlights on and open the glovebox. If the glovebox light comes on, you are grand.
Opening the tailgate, check the internal light on the left hand side turns on or not.

Welcome!

Offside front headlight a little cloudy but pretty tidy for a 21 year old ?

BB62FC77-712C-4107-B11E-B2BEC170A8E1.jpeg

I'd say that's condensation inside rather than UV clouding on the outside. Check the casing for cracks, poor seals etc. If it's a 2000 car it might have the clip-on lenses (there will be three clips across the top rather than the usual one) and the joins can deteriorate, but at least you can get in there to clean it.

I'd say that's condensation inside rather than UV clouding on the outside. Check the casing for cracks, poor seals etc. If it's a 2000 car it might have the clip-on lenses (there will be three clips across the top rather than the usual one) and the joins can deteriorate, but at least you can get in there to clean it.

Nice one - you’re right definitely condensation.

Back