New Member looking to buy my first A2!

Johnhenry

Morning all,

Looking for my first a2, after doing a little bit of research I’m feeling fairly confident with what I’m looking for but would love some more advice (I’ll also use the search tool ?).

A bit of background, over the last 2 years, I have suffered with a bad lower back, and a rotator cuff injury (great combo for a 28 year old!), car seating position seems to set my back off a treat, I can’t even sit in the works cars (corsa’s) or the other half’s VW polo without it starting to hurt in approx 5 mins (but can sit in my mr2 for over 4 hours with no issue).

After doing loads of research, the Audi a2 is one of very few cars that has perfect steering angle,offset and pedal offset, combined with adjustable lumbar (optional) on some seats.
I like working on cars, have rebuilt a 205 gti and done lots to my mr2, but this A2 is to be the sensible car, I just want it to work, but I don’t want to be clueless when it comes to repairing it if push comes to shove. So petrol.

So, I’m looking for an a2! Petrol, with the better ‘sport’ seats with the adjustable lumbar button.

I would love more information on the 1.4 and 1.6 and any issues ( I’ve read the 1.6 is a little more temperamental than the 1.4?)

Long intro, sorry!

Cheers
John

Good morning John

May I commend your choice on an A2 :)

I may have what you are looking for available soon. I have a silver 2003 FSI Sport with 75k miles and full service history. Being a sport model it has the lumber support on the front seats.

I've just got to do a service and MOT it and it will be good to go.

I'm in Aberdare so only 45 minutes from you.

Last edited:
Welcome, John.

A petrol A2 is a good choice, and a 1.4 is definitely the way to go if you want straightforward maintenance.

It's probably best to buy a good A2 when you find one and then look to swap the seats over to your preferred variant as and when you find them. Some people prefer the non-sports leather seats for comfort over the sports. It's probably best to try a few out to see which you really want.

You'll probably want to pay £2 to upgrade your membership so that you can view the market listings here.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Steve’s!

I have sat in a non sport seated a2, I wasn’t aware that a leather ‘non sport’ seat existed, leather would be nicer as the seat is generally softer. I’ve quickly checked eBay and found that leather ‘non sport’ do have the electric lumbar, all as standard?

I am going to have to sit in a few more I think, the issue im Having is that they’re aren’t a great deal around me at the moment, so I’ll need to be patient. @A2Steve i will PM regarding your a2, would be good to meet a member and get a good idea of everything!

Already paid up into the market area, I’ve spent literally months going over car seat data studies, and finally narrowed it down to the a2, this is my next car so may as well buy in properly!!

Essentially almost all variations were available on all seats

So there are, leather, cloth, heated, non-heated, electric lumber, no electric lumber, SE seats (lower bolsters) and Sport seats (higher bolsters).

You can also retrofit any of the seats to any of the cars with the associated wiring.

Thanks Steve’s!

I have sat in a non sport seated a2, I wasn’t aware that a leather ‘non sport’ seat existed, leather would be nicer as the seat is generally softer. I’ve quickly checked eBay and found that leather ‘non sport’ do have the electric lumbar, all as standard?
Very interesting topic ergonomics....Generally all sport seats come with electric lumbar control. This feature is rarer in standard seats, regardless if they have fabric or leather . But as A2Steve mentioned, you can retrofit pretty much everything, i.e. lumbar support and heating, once you found the right car.

Thanks all, noted about the 4 to 5 seat swap. To be honest as long as the drivers seat is the right spec I don’t care about the others, which may lead to temporarily mismatched interior seats!

Through necessity more than interest, I had to learn about seat and driving position ergonomics. this was my starting point if anyone is interested

Frustratingly the data stops on cars that are now in production however it’s still interesting, especially the 5 tests for a good driving position.

I have had ongoing lower back problems for the last twenty five years.
I have had both the normal se seats and also the sports seats with lumbar support.
I found that for me,on longer journeys (4 -5 hours) the normal seats were more comfortable.
I would get a lower back ache much earlier in the journey when I had the sports seats,even with the lumbar support.

Don't know if it is just the seat or also whether the suspension settings are critical for you?

All A2's give a firm ride but the softest option has the be the SE on 15" wheels.

The Sport models have a beefed up suspension and 17" wheels.

Another thing to consider before buying is whether or not the car has climate control (most, but by no means all UK A2s do). You can't add climate control to a car that left the factory without.

Subject to the weather, there's a Welsh social planned for 7th April which would be an ideal opportunity for you to sample a range of seats.

Don't know if it is just the seat or also whether the suspension settings are critical for you?

All A2's give a firm ride but the softest option has the be the SE on 15" wheels.

The Sport models have a beefed up suspension and 17" wheels.
Good point. We have a sport model but with SE suspension, which is much better.

Morning all,

Looking for my first a2, after doing a little bit of research I’m feeling fairly confident with what I’m looking for but would love some more advice (I’ll also use the search tool ?).

A bit of background, over the last 2 years, I have suffered with a bad lower back, and a rotator cuff injury (great combo for a 28 year old!), car seating position seems to set my back off a treat, I can’t even sit in the works cars (corsa’s) or the other half’s VW polo without it starting to hurt in approx 5 mins (but can sit in my mr2 for over 4 hours with no issue).

After doing loads of research, the Audi a2 is one of very few cars that has perfect steering angle,offset and pedal offset, combined with adjustable lumbar (optional) on some seats.
I like working on cars, have rebuilt a 205 gti and done lots to my mr2, but this A2 is to be the sensible car, I just want it to work, but I don’t want to be clueless when it comes to repairing it if push comes to shove. So petrol.

So, I’m looking for an a2! Petrol, with the better ‘sport’ seats with the adjustable lumbar button.

I would love more information on the 1.4 and 1.6 and any issues ( I’ve read the 1.6 is a little more temperamental than the 1.4?)

Long intro, sorry!

Cheers
John
Hi John, I have listed an exceptional 1.6 FSI petrol in the marketplace section of the website this morning. Take a look. Paul

Thanks all, I’ve noticed the April meet in South Wales and will do my best to attend, or at least drive up to the meeting point and get some idea of the different seating options in the a2.

Morning all,

Long intro, sorry!

Cheers
John
All I can say is the 1.6 can be temperamental but they are a bit higher spec. But don't buy one with an Engine Management Light showing. It may be an Expensive Fix .Regards, Den

Thanks again, I have an obd2 scanner, I hope that works with VAG stuff. If the CEL is on, Itll bug to know what it is more than anything else so that will be answered before a purchase

Back