New owner and a few bits to do

Hi,

New owners, bought for my son (very happy lad) 1 x 2001 1.4 SE in Atlantic Blue, all good 2 owners 89000 miles a few bits to sort : Central Locking/Petrol cap not opening being looked at now, 1st car and a few mishaps already handbrake cable snapped (a bit of over exuberance on steep hill) Main reason for the post is that I am looking for a spare wheel as live in the sticks a bit, to suit the 16" wheels on the car, seen a couple on eBay which are inflatable which I hope will fit in the hidden floor but sizes are 155/70 15 is this still compatible with the 16" wheels? If anyone has one pls let me know or if there are other alternatives it would be great to get them. Thanks in advance

Welcome.

Sounds like a good buy but the petrol flap problem is very common and well known, all to do with with a fault in the driver's door gubbins not correctly registering the door is open. The petrol flap release will only work when the door is registered as open, the logic being you cannot press it if the door is shut so only activates if the door is registered as open. Not a big issue, lots of information on here if you care to search.

Come back to you later regarding spare wheel if nobody else replies.

Andy

Welcome.

Sounds like a good buy but the petrol flap problem is very common and well known, all to do with with a fault in the driver's door gubbins not correctly registering the door is open. The petrol flap release will only work when the door is registered as open, the logic being you cannot press it if the door is shut so only activates if the door is registered as open. Not a big issue, lots of information on here if you care to search.

Come back to you later regarding spare wheel if nobody else replies.

Andy
Thanks Andy for the response, be great to find out about the space saver have first refusal on an inflatable one here in Exeter which is convenient as all others miles away!

Hi Again,

Pity no one else has replied about your spacesaver wheel, I know very little about them as I have no interest in carrying a spare but as I said I would come back to you I am obliged to.

My philosophy is over 50 years of motoring I have never known the odd flat tyre that will not inflate for several hours, using a compressor you should have in the boot tool kit, allowing a careful drive to a local tyre place to sort out. Much easier to pump it up rather than the faff of changing a wheel, getting dirty, might be dark and raining, dangerous with the jack on soggy ground and I doubt If I am strong enough to release a stubborn wheel nut with the pathetically short socket tool in the toolkit and hazardous on a busy road. I do not have a boot false floor to accommodate a spare wheel in my FSI sport A2, Audi provided tyre goo, now long out of date, but without the weight of a spare I must gain on mpg over the year. In the event of a bad puncture that will not inflate I would simply call the RAC. Who needs a spare? Short rant over.

However, I fully appreciate many many members prefer the reassurance of carrying a spare, they are much sought after, so back to your question. I think the reason you have had no replies is that there is not enough detail. First, is the possible purchase an A2 spacesaver? If not, is it A2 compatible? This means 5 holes to accommodate a wheel bolt pattern of 5x100mm PDC, with centre bore 57.1mm and a suitable ET. Assuming compatibility I would have thought it should match approximately the existing wheels and tyres in terms of overall diameter. What tyre size have you on the 16" wheels?

Come on guys somebody reply, is 155/70/15 the A2 spacesaver size or can it vary? It seems a good match for the probable standard 185/50/16 but seems to me a little large (3%) for the other standard of 195/45/16. The A2 manual is not much help.

Andy

I haven't got a space saver wheel in my boot.
But I do carry a full size wheel in the boot and it fits under my split boot floor.
It's the same size as the alloys on car,
15inch alloy with 195 55 15 tyre fitted.

A 15" space saver wheel was available as an option on the A2, fitted on a bracket over the battery. It is quite a weight unfortunately. It's fine to use at restricted speeds with your 16" wheels.

I don't carry a spare, just an aerosol for use in extremis Buy decent quality tyres, keep them correctly inflated, don't run them down to the legal limit, and you're most unlikely to ever have a puncture.

Quick update, space saver will have to wait and a can of foam/gel/gunk or whatever it is will do for now, just had the list of potential work required back from the garage a little more than expected given the mileage and Service History that came with the car - Serviced in Oct 18, 2k miles ago, but I deep down I knew there would be something.

The list:

Wheel Bearing - £140 (Knew would need doing)
Handbrake Cable - £120 (Bad Luck)
Timing Belt and Water Pump - £300 (????)
Starter Motor* - £200
CCU SH Replacement/Programming - £100

* Chatters after the key turned but intermittent and car fires up first time

In order, I have to do the Wheel Bearing and Handbrake for MOT purposes, I feel I ought to do the timing chain on time rather than mileage - replaced at 50K but 8 years ago, can the starter wait?, a good CCU and central locking feels like a bonus at the moment and if the secondhand CCU doesn't fix it I will find another way.

Not posting for sympathy, more for advice on doing the timing belt, it always feels like they could go on forever or fail in 5 mins, as expected I asked the garage to have a look but they cant guarantee etc., prices seem about right looking around the forums, but interested to know.

2 owners 89000 miles, decent bodywork, not pristine but still good and nice clean interior, Son loves the car, going to grit my teeth and get it done!

Hi,

I knew the central locking had stopped working when i bought the car and going through the history there was an invoice from auto electrician highlighting the ccu, apparently tested all connections. Found this great club and went through the history, car is fitted with the unit ending in Q which seems to be a bit unreliable. From some kind members on here hopefully sourced an AF unit with keys. To be honest not looking for everything to work but be good to be able to lock the car without going to each door. Its funny though boot catch works off the key, rear interior light goes on and off, according to the garage today acc not recognised on diagnostics, eml light did come on but come off now that the acc left on auto, lamda sensor code but now cleared all good stuff. Family aren't car snobs but for some reason i feel car needs saving, almost feel its part of the famille, son loves it, i love it whatis about them!

Quick update, space saver will have to wait and a can of foam/gel/gunk or whatever it is will do for now, just had the list of potential work required back from the garage a little more than expected given the mileage and Service History that came with the car - Serviced in Oct 18, 2k miles ago, but I deep down I knew there would be something.

The list:

Wheel Bearing - £140 (Knew would need doing)
Handbrake Cable - £120 (Bad Luck)
Timing Belt and Water Pump - £300 (????)
Starter Motor* - £200
CCU SH Replacement/Programming - £100

* Chatters after the key turned but intermittent and car fires up first time

In order, I have to do the Wheel Bearing and Handbrake for MOT purposes, I feel I ought to do the timing chain on time rather than mileage - replaced at 50K but 8 years ago, can the starter wait?, a good CCU and central locking feels like a bonus at the moment and if the secondhand CCU doesn't fix it I will find another way.

Not posting for sympathy, more for advice on doing the timing belt, it always feels like they could go on forever or fail in 5 mins, as expected I asked the garage to have a look but they cant guarantee etc., prices seem about right looking around the forums, but interested to know.

2 owners 89000 miles, decent bodywork, not pristine but still good and nice clean interior, Son loves the car, going to grit my teeth and get it done!
Hi,

Top line, your list of work required is not too long, I would say you got off relatively lightly. The big item of timing belt and pump you must have known was expected before purchase. The prices are normal/not unreasonable. You must appreciate your A2 is 18 years old and some level of maintenance beyond annual service is to be expected. Most general cars of this age have long since gone to the scrapyard, testimony to the A2, your son has has gained a little treasure.

Some points about the list of work.

1. The replacement of the wheel bearing on an A2 is pretty unique in that it requires a special A2 tool. I assume your local garage is trustworthy/reliable/competent etc. BUT I would ask the direct question have they got one, they might be impressed by your expertise!. If not yes and they are evasive 'done hundreds, we have a professional press', walk away.
  2. The handbrake incident was unfortunate, I understand they will have to remove exhaust heat shields to replace the handbrake cable and some rusty old fixings will probably shear off. Hope they know they are supposed to to take measures to avoid galvanic corrosion with the new fixings.
  3. I agree with your thinking on the timing belt and pump, at 8 years it needs doing.
  4. I was going to suggest you look in the Marketplace for replacement CCCU but your later post indicates you are aware of it
  5. The squealing starter motor is not uncommon, needs some lubricant in the right place, info on here I know. If your son is old enough to drive maybe time he got his hands oily.
  6. I got a bit lost in your last post, not familiar with the term acc(climate unit?). I am no expert but I cannot see how a CCCU fault would cause the engine EML to illuminate, always willing to learn.
Quote 'I love it, what is it about them' - Jeremy has a new member.

Good luck with the work.

Andy

Hi Again,

I have just read your posts in A2steve's parts thread in Marketplace. How can I put this, with regard to the central locking fault/petrol flap/interior light fault I am concerned you are rushing into purchases and expenditure on garage professional costs to fit with a limited knowledge base. The replacement Q CCCU you now realise was a poor move and I expect it will solve nothing, hope I am wrong. The AF CCCU purchase from A2Steve, in itself is not a bad thing to upgrade to the more reliable unit, but again fear it will achieve nothing in fixing the fault, except reduce your bank balance, but again I hope I am wrong.

If CCCU swaps fail to solve the problem go back and read my post #2 in this thread, the key words for a search are 'lock microswitch', very cheap to DIY fix.

Only trying to help.

Andy

Back