New owner

Ewan68

Hi folks
Just bought a 1.4tdi 75 2004, looking forward to picking your brains in the future!
Pick up next week from Midlands then drive to South of France direct, couple of months in France then move to the North Coast of Sutherland, fingers crossed for the trip.
Great site full of great tips and info, thanks for having me!
Cheers Ewan

Hi Ewan,

Where will you be in the South of France - I'm just over the border in Liguria, Italy, in the hills behind San Remo? Sounds like an excuse for a meet up! Picking my new A2 up next week [from West Midlands] and driving down the weekend of 19/20 [if all goes to plan] so back in time for Monaco GP...

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard
Booked in ferry the night of 17th so sorry timings just out, have a group!e free drive back to the Gp
I am heading back to French Spanish border, sold my Land rover disco 1 so the a2 will be lighter on the pocket on fuel
Cheers Ewan

Picked up car 7pm in Wolverhampton direct to Dover, now arrived South of Lyon, smooth journey surprised how nippy it is through the gears, only tiny niggle is the headlights beam is a bit jumpy, checked all secure, is this a common problem?
Great car well maintained with full service history, just had camber and water pump replaced so I am lucky guy with the car so far, 700 miles first time in a A2!

Three quick questions - does the headlight adjuster motor move the beam up and down smoothly through the range - and are both securely attached inside the casing? (remove the plastic lid on the back of the casing - the motor is a black rectangular box to the side where the indicator is with wires going into it) Have you checked top and bottom mounting screws for the headlamp casing as the tab can snap off the upper one even if the lamp is still securely attached? Finally - if you have felt or looked inside the casing - are the lightbulbs securely fastened into the mountings with the spring-clips?

Sounds like a decent trip - bon voyage!

Three quick questions - does the headlight adjuster motor move the beam up and down smoothly through the range - and are both securely attached inside the casing? (remove the plastic lid on the back of the casing - the motor is a black rectangular box to the side where the indicator is with wires going into it) Have you checked top and bottom mounting screws for the headlamp casing as the tab can snap off the upper one even if the lamp is still securely attached? Finally - if you have felt or looked inside the casing - are the lightbulbs securely fastened into the mountings with the spring-clips?

Sounds like a decent trip - bon voyage!

Hi Robin looks like the spring clip has either broke or is missing but my hands are too big to check properly, will seem someone with smaller hands!
Thanks for the help

If you can undo the two torx bolts holding the headlight onto the car (T25 or T27, something like this), you can tip the casing forwards and make the back of the casing slightly more accessible. Unclipping the connector (takes a straight-bladed screwdriver) allows you to release the headlight casing completely from the car body which makes a big difference. I don't have the biggest hands and even so find it nigh on impossible to do the spring clips on the passenger side when in situ, while on the driver side it is completely impossible for me without removing the headlight altogether. Now I've got used to the latter process I do it every time rather than struggling. There is a knack - one of the experts here clarified the process for me a few weeks ago and since then it has been my first port of call every time.

It could also be something as simple as the clip has not quite been secured into the offset hook for the outer end - the two feet are located but the release end is floating. This would keep the lightbulb partially secured at the one side but mean that it could wobble with imperfections in the road surface. This would be the best scenario as all it would take would be re-securing the hook. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back