New VAG tower shifter : help required

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
I want to improve the quality of the gear-changing action of my A2. I've read on the Forum that there are a couple of ways to do this : (1) Fit a new style VAG tower shifter, and (2) Fit a "Diesel Geek" super shifter. I've sourced the first item and I'm about to purchase it. The super shifter has to be ordered from the U.S.A. Fine, in my standard impulsive way they'd have been on their way to myself by now. HOWEVER, there is a small hitch to solve! I have a six-speed box and there is some mention of a gate ( in the new shifter?) needing to be modified to allow for the 6-speed action? Can anyone explain further what that's about? Now when my gearbox was modified, was there any modification that needed to be made to my existing tower shifter? If so, then wouldn't the new design shifter also be easy to modify? What I'm hoping for is to "get the nod" from our Forum to go ahead and purchase this new and improved tower shifter. I have looked at the exploded diagram of this shifter and it isn't too obvious where that gate is located? It would need to be able to be able to be easily removed and carefully modified/filed to produce the further shift path required for the 6th gear. I hope that I'm correct in assuming that the super shifter works in tandem with the new tower shifter? So should I go ahead and purchase the tower? Thanks

David

Could you post a link to the part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@DJ 190 which 6 speed box do you have, MYP or another?
It's an EWQ gearbox

I've spoken to Vince at Stealth Racing. There's no need for any gate mods. It's a VERY simple mod to change to six-speed action. Unscrew a small grub-screw at the top and file it down to the start of the threads .... That's all! The Audi dealership price of this tower is £149.52 + vat. They offer a 5% discount, so that comes to ~ £170. So the Ebay price isn't really a bargain! (£180 in the original listing) There's Partco, too, that might be lower .... We'll have to see ....
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
STOP PRESS! I've just spoken to the guy selling the tower and he's agreed £130 .... so it's done! I can't beat that! Oh, no seals or lower cup with it, though. I'll have to see if what's missing can be purchased separately ....
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

David

Last edited:
I've ordered the "Diesel Geek" super shifter too. It's about £25 and takes 5 weeks to be delivered from the USA. It seems to be just a small piece of plastic? It does seem a lot for such a small component. In this thread on the Forum, https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...last-year-but-now-a-member.35948/#post-314226, there is still mention of modifying a gate to allow for the 6th gear. I'll have a look at it when its been delivered and I'll have a better idea then. I'l also need to purchase the lower cup component (the latest type with the circlip) So that's another project in the pipe-line!

David

I'm not sure why this thread hasn't raised much interest? It's not like the A2OC to be like that? I'd have liked to have known if the latest tower shifter does need to have the gate modified or if the simple mod suggested by Vince at Stealth Racing is all that is required? It may be that no-one has that knowledge, anyway. So if that is indeed the case, then please ignor my opening comment. And sorry to you if that is the reason.

David

The new tower arrived today. I'm having difficulty understanding the way it works. The action comprises of a series of twists together with a pull/push for certain positions. What's that all about? When currently I change gear with the lever, I'm going through throws that use an "H" pattern. Please excuse my ignorance and give me an insight as to, using this new tower, gear changes are performed? Thanks

David

Hi David,

I hope you're well?
I'm not at all sure what it is you're actually looking to achieve, but it seems your impulsive side has been taking the forefront again!

It seems you've bought a tower for the 02M gearbox, and your EWQ is an 02J designated gearbox.
I'm unsure if the tower-sets are interchangeable, but considering the way the VAG group engineer design updates, I suspect they may not be.
You'd need to check the differences on the internal shaft that connects to the selector fork between the new one and your existing tower.
Relatively easy to remove your existing tower and eyeball the differences, and if all appear similar then use a vernier gauge or micrometer to verify the shaft engineering is the same.

As for the diesel geeks Super Shifter, I've not yet looked at that, but I seem to recal it also wasn't designed for the 02J type gearboxes.

Diesel Geeks used to have stuff on Youtube that explained many things about VAG engineering, and watching some of those (if they are still available) should provide you with the understanding of how the H pattern gear-shift translates to a front-wheel drive gearbox.

I thought you were using your original EWQ gearbox with the Euro-tuning additional 6th gear mod.
What exactly do you have issues with, in your current setup, and are these issues that have materialised recently, or something that's been prevalent since the addtional 6th gear was added?

Many of our cars are now getting old and with lengthy mileage, so it wouldn't be unexpected that the cabling and bushings between the gearshift and gearbox have become stretched or worn, so it migth be you just need to repalce some of the worm parts in the shift-train.

It might also be useful to post some pictures of the parts you've bought, as pictures say a 1000 words.

Good luck - and resist your impulsive behaviour :)
Cheers
Jeff

I thought you were using your original EWQ gearbox with the Euro-tuning additional 6th gear mod.
Good luck - and resist your impulsive behaviour
Jeff! Where have you been! I've been asking about you on the Forum. I believe that you were last on the Forum in February, 2017? Is that correct? Well, it is SO very good to hear from you again and for you to be offering me your help and advice! I feel very privileged!
If only I'd have received your helpful input much earlier, Jeff! I've had to live with my impulsive behavior all my life! It would be simply cured if I was poverty-stricken! :) You're correct about my current gearbox set-up. Now my gear-change has never been very good. When I drive my Partner's petrol A2, I'm so aware of how much better it is! Recently an A2OC member paid me a visit. He'd also had a 6-speed gearbox fitted to his A2 but it was the Passat gearbox? Anyway, I drove it and WOW!, how much better was the gear-change on HIS car! So away I go, just like I always do ... I MUST get my gear-change to be just as good! I can't let things be .... looking at our Forum, the Internet .... on it goes! I did suspect that maybe this tower MIGHT not fit but as usual, I purchased it anyway! It will just be added to the pile of stuff that is just accumulated in exactly the same way. I've just GOT to think of disposing of things, for the good of the A2OC! I'm not sure exactly where this tower is positioned in relation to the actual gear changer? Some photos would have been helpful. Maybe, just maybe, I can use this tower in my set-up. Otherwise I'll probably still have it until I die!

David

Last edited:
Hi David,

Yes - I've taken a back seat on the forum for many reasons the past few years.
I'm still reasonably active on the social front, but do limit that too - I'm getting old (I know you'll understand that - haha)

Your six speed conversion differs from many that are now used, in that you have a modified original A2 gearbox (that's the purist in you coming out I guess).
Anyway, the tower lives on top of (and inside) the gearbox, directly underneath the counterweight.
I'd wager (reading your posts) you were expecting the "tower" to fit inside the car where the gear stick is.

I've attached a couple of images that should help locate where the item resides. I've crudly circled the tower in the photo, and the drawing shows the tower as item 1.

EWQ-tower.jpgTower diagram.JPG

On to the Super Shifter - Sadly I think you've done what many have, and misread the name and your brain has interpreted things the way you want.
The name of the product I expect you've bought is the Super Slider.
This is actually just the "shoe" that fits in the balance weight slot, on the top of the gearbox.
The DieselGeek part is probably made of a more dense material, and therefore less prone to wear, however there's nothing wrong with the original Audi component, and that will happily last in excess of 10 years worth of average gearchanges.
The Audi part No. is 1J0 711 550, and is about £5 if memory serves me well.
The Super Slider is shown in position in the picture below. It is fitted in the balance weight slot, and that balance weight is attached to the top of the tower.

super slider.jpg

I know you'll be disappointed with my post, however you might indeed find that you can make use of the new tower (but I suspect that will take some serious thought and re-engineering (I know you'll enjoy that challenge), and the Super Slider is something that you'll be able to either use or sell-on.

It would be good to see you at a social again, and it could mean I (or others) could look at, and feel your gearshift - possibly helping to diagnose what issues you have, and together working out how to resolve whatever the problems are.

There's an evening meal end-of-year social in Birmingham on 16th November, so come along for a bite to eat and we can take a look.
I'd guess you're still suffering with slight mobility problems, but it would be good to see you - none of us are getting any younger.

I have various new spare bushings for the standard gear-train, some are an easy swap and some more time-consuming, but such things always come in handy when trying to troubleshoot these issues.

Anyway - I hope I've not ruined your evening.
All the best
Jeff

Yes - I've taken a back seat on the forum for many reasons the past few years.
I'd wager (reading your posts) you were expecting the "tower" to fit inside the car where the gear stick is.
The name of the product I expect you've bought is the Super Slider.
there's nothing wrong with the original Audi component, and that will happily last in excess of 10 years worth of average gearchanges.
I know you'll be disappointed with my post, however you might indeed find that you can make use of the new tower (but I suspect that will take some serious thought and re-engineering (I know you'll enjoy that challenge), and the Super Slider is something that you'll be able to either use or sell-on.
It would be good to see you at a social again
There's an evening meal end-of-year social in Birmingham on 16th November, so come along for a bite to eat and we can take a look.
I'd guess you're still suffering with slight mobility problems, but it would be good to see you - none of us are getting any younger.
Anyway - I hope I've not ruined your evening.
Well thank you so much, Jeff, for your informed input! You have got so much right ... "spot-on", in fact! However you have made a couple of comments that are WAY out! These :-
(1) I know you'll be disappointed with my post, and
(2) Anyway - I hope I've not ruined your evening.

I am delighted with your post and it's made my evening! So useful and informative! I guess that your absence might have had something to do with the animosity generated with Tony of A2 Cars? I was affected, too .... let's leave it there, eh? You're a bit wrong over my mobility too A few weeks ago, I cycled 15 miles from Queensferry to Chester and back. Yesterday at Loggerheads I walked over 5 miles. I go to the gym every other day and I've done that for 8 years. I've not long come in from digging deep holes for an elevated viewing area, mainly for the public,but on my land. I'm not very musical but I'm good at blowing a trumpet! :)
I'll have a look at my existing tower, as you've suggested, thanks. I could make a visit to WOM, too.There's nothing urgent in my life. Everything is down to my inherent obsessional nature. DAMB!
You've come over as kind and friendly .... so no change to how I remember you, then! It will be so very good to meet you again and for that reason, I'll be at that get-together on the 16th of November. You can count on that! This goes without saying, too, and that is that there's always a warm welcome to you if you are ever in this beautiful part of the World! Please, please continue your input to these great Forum. Bye for now

David

Hi Guys,

I just thought i would pipe in and say i have a 6 speed box too but no idea what model it is :/ The car i have used to be Dans A2!

I didn't read all of this post but whatever it is your trying to achieve and it proves positive then i will probably follow in your footsteps :D

It seems you've bought a tower for the 02M gearbox, and your EWQ is an 02J designated gearbox.
I'm unsure if the tower-sets are interchangeable, but considering the way the VAG group engineer design updates, I suspect they may not be.
There was a very easy way to have checked this and I've just done it! I phoned "Cheshire Oaks Audi" and asked if it's the correct part based on my car registration number. The answer is affirmative. It's the only part shown (02R 301 230M) and locates into a cup, part no. 02J 301 256, priced at £32.96.
The Diesel Geeks super-slider would also appear to be suitable because they say that it fits ALL VW golf gearboxes. After all, it is only a small plastic shoe ... So that's made me feel more comfortable about things. I now need to determine how the tower MIGHT need to be modified to work with the extra gear inside my box? Inside this new tower I can see a cylindrical top section which has a row of slots and a slide cut into it. I'm not sure if I need to cut an extra slot for the 6th gear? "Stealth Racing" seem to be saying that this action isn't necessary? When I do remove the existing tower (which could be right now!), I'll be able to to see what that looks like and take it from there. All input on this Forum is ultimately so useful for any members attempting similar modifications in the future. That's exactly how I've benefited and my current work was prompted by this thread : https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...last-year-but-now-a-member.35948/#post-314226
Right, "onward and upward", then? I think that I'll be needing that cup? Do I take the tower off to establish that conclusively or do I just purchase it anyway? What do YOU think I'm going to do? :)

David

I could vaguely remember some mods needed to make the selector work so l've just revisited the youtube 6 speed conversion video and the only selector modification seems to be inside the gearbox. and nothing on the tower as Vince indicated.

Cheers Spike

Hi David,

I'm pleased you'll be coming along for the meal on the 16th, and also pleased you've confirmed the new tower you've bought is correct for the EWQ gearbox.
If, when you spoke to Vince at Stealth you told him you have the Euro-Tuning 6th gear mod in an EWQ gearbox and gave him the tower part number, he advised there was nothing much to do except the trimming of a grub screw, then I'd take his advice as solid.

The Super Slider will also work just fine in your original counter weight.

However, depending on your current issues, these "upgrades" still might not solve that for you.

Describing the issues you have can help a little, but this will never be accurate, as you're describing something you feel - but here's a few things to think about.
I'd run the "tests" after a 30 minute drive so the gearbox oil and gears are at normal operating temperature, engine turned off and clutch pedal depressed.

1. Do all shifts (1 through 6 and reverse) have an equal feel?
2. Does the gear lever spring to the correct neutral position when moving from 1st to neutral, 2nd to neutral, 5th to neutral and 6th to neutral?
3. Are gear shifts stiff to the feel?
4. Are gear shifts loose to the feel?
5. Is there vibration "noise" from the gear stick when driving?
6. Do any gears graunch while changing gear when driving?

There are some things to check in the engine bay too, on top of the gearbox.
Standing against the front bumper looking down to the gearbox where the right-most bowden connector meets the ball joint on the pivoting bracket (the one that ultimately connects to the white plastic shoe), wiggle the joints and see if there is slop between the shoe and the counter weight slot, and if there is slop where the bushes hold the rotating pin.
I've added a few arrows in the pic below - there's a plastic bush in either end of the casting with 2 arrows, and the other arrow is the shoe in the counter weight.

super slider 1.jpg

Some other things that can cause problems are the "fingers" on the bowden connectors break, or the serated portions can go smooth. both of these can mean a poor cable-grip, and therefore inaccurate and incomplete movement of the gearbox tower selector.
Bowden connectors pic below

Bowden1.jpg

Cheers
Jeff

Attachments

• Bowden1.jpg
    Bowden1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 861
Last edited:
modification seems to be inside the gearbox. and nothing on the tower as Vince indicated.
Thank you for your input, Spike. This is what I need to understand : The new tower moves in a series of movements/"clicks" giving a total of 6 positions that should correspond to the 5 gears + reverse. Movement consists of a central "detente" position and then 4 of those locations are found by pulling/twisting to the right and 2 by pulling/twisting to the left. There are no other potential locations. So how would that further 6th gear, present in my modified box, be selected?

David

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I just thought i would pipe in and say i have a 6 speed box too but no idea what model it is :/ The car i have used to be Dans A2!

I didn't read all of this post but whatever it is your trying to achieve and it proves positive then i will probably follow in your footsteps :D

Hi Cameron - I presume it was Dan_b's car you bought.
His car had an EWQ gearbox that was rebuilt and used a similar re-design as the Euro Tuning 6th gear mod, but the whole gearbox was rebuilt in Germany. I can't recall what gear ratios were chosen, but it's unlikely any issues you might have will be internal.

If you take a look at my post #17, answer the questions and provide some other detail about what you're feeling with your gear change.

I assisted in installing that gearbox into Dan_b's silver A2, and as far as I recall no bushings were replaced in the cable-run, and certainly the cables were'nt replaced.
As our cars age the bushings and cables will wear, causing stiff, sloppy or poor gear-changes.
If the issues cannot be resolved by re-adjusting the cables (see below link), then it's likely there's worn parts that could benefit from replacement.

It's not really a good comparison (as in David's case) to compare with different gearbox types, like an MYP (used in the VW Passat).
That particular gearbox has a much shorter throw, and that is translated into the gearshift feel.

There are some useful parts the Dieselgeek sell that cannot be purchased as spare parts - links below:

If new cables are purchased, then the cable-saver bushings are not something to bother with.
The first-gear getter isn't cheap, but it's good to have on the shelf in case it's needed. The only other way I know of fixing an issue with that part is a new gearshift lever - 1J0 711 112 E - approx. £55 inc. VAT.

Hope that helps a little
Cheers
Jeff

Hi Cameron - I presume it was Dan_b's car you bought.

Yep bang on there Jeff.

1. Do all shifts (1 through 6 and reverse) have an equal feel? - Still to test
2. Does the gear lever spring to the correct neutral position when moving from 1st to neutral, 2nd to neutral, 5th to neutral and 6th to neutral? - Still to test
3. Are gear shifts stiff to the feel? - Compared to my wifes A2, my gears are stiffer. Not sure if it's because hers has done nearly 220k
4. Are gear shifts loose to the feel? - Nope
5. Is there vibration "noise" from the gear stick when driving? - Nope
6. Do any gears graunch while changing gear when driving? - Nope

As for gear change i'm pretty sure when i drop down from 5th to 4th on occasion it feels stiff and doesn't want to slide into gear properly or i have to double clutch (very rarely) to get it in. No problems when going up the gears, only when coming down and no crunching at all.

Good to know you have the knowledge on my car Jeff...might have to pay you a visit should something go wrong ;)

Cheers

Back