New (well to me...) A2

PeterS

On the train at the moment, going to pick it up :)
A slightly impulsive purchase, but I did (briefly) see the car last weekend. It’s a Jaipur red 1.4 SE with a beige interior. Don’t recall it having any other extras! We live in West Sussex, the cars in Dover... so a reasonably long drive back to flush out any problems... insurance sorted, including breakdown cover just in case! Fingers crossed!

Welcome to the owner fold Peter.

I hope that your new purchase proves to be a cracker and I wish you many years of trouble free motoring. The group are a friendly, helpful bunch and nearly everything will have been talked about on the forum at one time or another. If you can't locate an answer or require greater clarity, then just ask away.

Jaipur Red is a stunning colour for the A2 and I look forward to seeing some pictures once you get home. It is also reasonably rare too.

There is an active social scene on here, the 2018 calendar will shorty be posted, so feel free to come along to one of the events if that is your thing. Vehicle age and condition are unimportant, so don't let that stop you. They are a great opportunity to share enthusiasm with like-minded folk and glean tips on resolving problems or scoping out future enhancements.

Cheers,

Darren

Well, that was a painless drive back :)

Initial observations... The car had the engine management light on last week when I looked at it, but it was fine to drive so I gambled that it would be an easy fix. Hope that turns out to be true! The tracking was also slightly out when I test drove it, and that’s now been fixed. However the ABS and ESP lights are now one as well... a reduction in price will, hopefully, cover this... I’m feeling lucky...probably only a sensor... ;)

The journey back to West Sussex turned out to be nearer 120 miles, and on clear roads (2/3rds of which was either motorway or dual carriageway all bar 10 miles of the remainder being ‘A’ roads) took under 2.5 hours, including a 10 minute petrol and tyre pressure check stop. Just as well.. the pressures were a bit low, with the front nearside very low. Hopefully not a sign of a puncture or leaky wheel, but let’s see.. In any event, assuming the warning lights and their cause(s) can be easily fixed a new set of matching tyres was on the cards anyway. The ones on the car have plenty of tread, but I don’t know how old they are and I do prefer either Michelin or Coninental tyres as a rule.

A few pictures below, which show the bodywork and interior are in reasonable condition for its age and mileage. Most unsightly issue is a few deep scrapes on the bumpers, but our local ChipsAway place is good, and I think will be able to sort for £250ish. A deep clean of the interior will hopefully bring it up like new. Certainly worked on our previous, 160k mile , one though that had a Black not beige interior...

Attachments

• 910AD6D0-A48D-4909-BC1A-A985195468C6.jpeg
    910AD6D0-A48D-4909-BC1A-A985195468C6.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 746E2EDE-8DB9-498C-8034-7D3331FAE61A.jpeg
    746E2EDE-8DB9-498C-8034-7D3331FAE61A.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 5DDCC012-E490-45D7-8FED-FBFC6A5865C1.jpeg
    5DDCC012-E490-45D7-8FED-FBFC6A5865C1.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 336
  • 4C142E27-18E0-49E6-AC73-AA12D1C10566.jpeg
    4C142E27-18E0-49E6-AC73-AA12D1C10566.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 5B6A3A3B-D671-4EB6-BA62-F75F4A4F9BE9.jpeg
    5B6A3A3B-D671-4EB6-BA62-F75F4A4F9BE9.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 350
  • D8F0BD37-B67C-40E1-B5B8-35ACC543AA62.jpeg
    D8F0BD37-B67C-40E1-B5B8-35ACC543AA62.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 337
  • F6C33549-71E7-46B9-BC6D-F5B25BF357A9.jpeg
    F6C33549-71E7-46B9-BC6D-F5B25BF357A9.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 1E8643EF-C17D-4DE8-93F1-C19A0051252F.jpeg
    1E8643EF-C17D-4DE8-93F1-C19A0051252F.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Looks to be a nice buy. If it drove back with no issues then I'd say the warning lights are nothing major. First job, check if a brake light bulb has popped. This will cause the lights to come on.

ABS and ESP lights are probably down to a spanner monkey breaking a wheel speed sensor whilst doing the tracking. Looks a nice car overall, esp for the age. If it were a black interior, it'd be really special - never been a beige fan - shows marks and stains far too easily.

ABS and ESP lights are probably down to a spanner monkey breaking a wheel speed sensor whilst doing the tracking. Looks a nice car overall, esp for the age. If it were a black interior, it'd be really special - never been a beige fan - shows marks and stains far too easily.

The tracking was done in the week, so hopefully that’s the case! I’m not a fan of black cloth, though the black alcantara/leather in our A3 is very nice...i wonder if that was ever an A2 option... :goes off to eBay: ... :D

There’s another problem I forgot, though one I think I remember from Audi forums of old when I had an A4... The Chorus stereo (which sounds remarked good through, what I think, is just the front speakers) has a dodgy volume control.

A quick nose around confirms it’s got no options, unless the split boot floor and luggage cover were optional. The last 1.4SE had the DIS, steering wheel stereo controls and, I think (but might be wrong) a front arm rest. This appears to have nothing bar the pearlescent paint

Last edited:
Looks to be a nice buy. If it drove back with no issues then I'd say the warning lights are nothing major. First job, check if a brake light bulb has popped. This will cause the lights to come on.

Thanks - that’s a nice easy check and well within my limited mechanical and electrical abilities, so will take a look later :)

There’s another problem I forgot, though one I think I remember from Audi forums of old when I had an A4... The Chorus stereo (which sounds remarked good through, what I think, is just the front speakers) has a dodgy volume control.

I quick nose around confirms it’s got no options, unless the split boot floor and luggage cover were optional. The last 1.4SE had the DIS, steering wheel stereo controls and, I think (but might be wrong) a front arm rest. This appears to have nothing bar the pearlescent paint

You're probably best of just replacing with a Concert Stereo although you're going to need an early one, as the later Concert IIs only work with CANBUS, which your's isn't.

The split boot floor was an option, so there's 1, you've also got rear electric windows as well from your pics, which is a nice extra to have as a lot of later ones didn't have this. I believe it was standard on early cars, but became an option later. Check if your battery has an extra metal plate on top holding it down as this is good way to hold down spare wheel if you've got one.

On an X plate, yours will be one of the earliest cars, which were prior to the SE and Sport models. Arm rests were never options for any A2, so yours will have been aftermarket. Alcantara was an option for the A2, but I've never seen a dark grey/black alcantara - just a light grey version. Seat swapping is dead easy, but door cards, dash and carpets will all add to the workload and cost, so just enjoy your Twist interior.

You're probably best of just replacing with a Concert Stereo although you're going to need an early one, as the later Concert IIs only work with CANBUS, which your's isn't.

Interesting, thanks. Does that mean the electrical architecture of later A2s is different to the early ones, or it’s just the Concert II (which is a CD player isn’t it?) isn’t compatible with? Would one like this work...?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202182645873

I have to say the sound is remarkably good from a Chorus and 2 speakers. Subjectively it sounds nicer than the system in my M235i :D:D It’s not, however, compatible with Spotify ;)

I remember you and your car now Peter. A shame that.

Good to see that the Jaipur A2 looks to be in good order for the most part. I hope that the warning lights are an easy and cost effective fix. It looks like a really nice project that will give you plenty of enjoyment.

Hi Peter welcome to the club, that looks to be a decent car you've bought there in what i can only describe as one of the best colours for this funky little car. As for that interior colour combo, undoubtedly the best colour/combo see my signiture below. ;) Seriously a light interior looks best imho makes the car feel even bigger than it should.All the best with it, but fear not, any problems will quickly be sorted by the good folks on here.

Which Audi 80 is that in the background? I'm guessing it must be a Coupe or Cabriolet with that front bumper ruling out an S2 as the grill badged is missing.

Beautiful car and i,m very much looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Which Audi 80 is that in the background? I'm guessing it must be a Coupe or Cabriolet with that front bumper ruling out an S2 as the grill badged is missing.

Thanks for the welcome - I’m looking forward to ironing out the little niggles then tidying it up cosmetically... I’ll try and stop there, but you know how it is ... :p

The silver one is a 1994 Audi Cabriolet - the 2.6 auto version. I bought it on eBay about 5 years ago now for £536; it’s only had three owners and done 136k miles now. Cost a bit to sort out as I had a new rear window fitted to the hood , but other than that mostly consumables (thermostat, pads, discs). Currently sorned though; the heater matrix has gone and while it’s easy to bypass (I have) as the inlet and outlet pipes are in the scuttle it’s a bit chilly to drive a car without a heater! I think it’s a dash out job to fix it though, which is beyond my ability, so it might be the end of the road for it on economic grounds. A shame, as it’s been serviced around 22 times in its 24 years, 19 of which were Wimbledon Audi. Interestingly the A2 has also had a few services there, so perhaps they were both there at the same time!!

A861FC84-80E1-48FD-919C-B519C13719E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome - I’m looking forward to ironing out the little niggles then tidying it up cosmetically... I’ll try and stop there, but you know how it is ... :p

The silver one is a 1994 Audi Cabriolet - the 2.6 auto version. I bought it on eBay about 5 years ago now for £536; it’s only had three owners and done 136k miles now. Cost a bit to sort out as I had a new rear window fitted to the hood , but other than that mostly consumables (thermostat, pads, discs). Currently sorned though; the heater matrix has gone and while it’s easy to bypass (I have) as the inlet and outlet pipes are in the scuttle it’s a bit chilly to drive a car without a heater! I think it’s a dash out job to fix it though, which is beyond my ability, so it might be the end of the road for it on economic grounds. A shame, as it’s been serviced around 22 times in its 24 years, 19 of which were Wimbledon Audi. Interestingly the A2 has also had a few services there, so perhaps they were both there at the same time!!

View attachment 36054
Lovely car i bet it's given you plenty of smiles since you've owned it. Don't know about you but i love driving our 2.8 manual Final Edition, we bought 5 years ago for an awful lot more money. I wouldn't worry about the dash out job it will take you about 12 hrs a pro more like 5/6. If you buy the Audi 80/90 haynes manual it shows in there in detail how to go about the job.It's the same dash so still relevant.If you want i can point you in the right direction to the correct manual. Or you could join the right forum for that just pm me. Here's ours with it's hardtop on. You have very good taste! A2 and an 80 cabriolet. ;)

our%20cabriolet%202_zpsgdw6q7ud.jpg

That’s very nice - much newer than ours ours! Almost a case of one of the first, and one of the last :) Is that the same silvery beige that A4s of the period came in? Ours looks great....from more than 3 feet away. Up close the paint is a bit scuffed and marked, but the silver hides it well! Blue hood, blue cloth interior. It’s nice to drive, in a lazy kind of way, though it’s quite happy cruising at high speeds. Only 150bhp though, which is the same as the 1.4 petrol engine in our A3 e-tron. That’s progress I guess

Back