Newbie - A2 1.4TDI, economy driving???

flattened

Hi everyone, I'm Andy & new here and a first time owner of the A2 (1.4 TDI - 2003 plate).

I'm wondering in terms of driving style the best way to maximising fuel economy. For example, best revs to 'stick at ' in a particular gear. Best revs to change gear. Most ecomomical speed on major A roads/Motorways etc. :confused:

I've always been a petrol owner so I'm unused to the sound of & rev counter on a diesel engined motor.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have scanned the forums, feel free to point me to the correct post!!! :)

Andy.

Welcome to A2 TDi ownership, you will not regret it! Of the many advantages of a diesel is the torque and using that to best effect. There is simply no need to rev the engines to death, I generally change up around 2-2500 rpm if making reasonably swift progress, lower revs if just trundling around. As with a petrol, avoid hard acceleration/hard braking, anticipate traffic movements ahead, changing traffic lights etc, keep the tyres inflated correctly, etc etc. I would recommend a remap which will significantly increase torque thus making the car even more delightful to drive using the surge of power whilst at the same time using very little fuel!

this is one of the very best car forums I have joined out of 8 I have signed upto over the years. Any qusetions, just ask and someone will come along and answer soon.

What spec is your car?

As above I change at about 2000-2500rpm. At 60mph on the motorway the car does ~80mpg :) In town at 30mph I find 4th gear most comforable. Some say 5th is fine, but I feel the engine is labouring.

If not already fitted I find cruise control very useful to help my fuel efficiency. Mike (Skipton01) offers a fitting service if you want one retro fitted.

Thanks folks, some good advice there.
@Adrian888 -- I've been looking, via some website links in here, at some of those chips that can be purchased. Its a bit pricey for me at the moment but the idea of 100Bhp in a car this light is appealing! Insurance implications though?

No idea of spec of mine. Are there are pointers that I need to look at? As far as I know it is just the factory standard motor.

@Will -- I agree about trundling in 4th at town speeds, I have already noticed the same if 5th is used more or less below 40 or so!

Andy.

does yours have rear disks or drums??.. upgrading to 100bhp with drums on the rear is not something that would appeal to me

Rear discs on the A2 are the epitomy of overkill - our 1.4TDI 75 remapped to 97bhp is substantially quicker than the FSI (which has discs of course) but never, ever, ever feels under-braked.

my statement was 'disks' or 'drums'.... if it has disks then fine...

Yes ULP, rear disk are exactly that. Back in the day my R5t came stock with120bhp, rear disk and weighed as much as a can of beans. Yet the rear disk did sod all bar lock the car down while parked !! In short the read disk did/do very little of the actual breaking.

Rear drums are fine on lighter cars and cars with less than i'd say 140bhp. It's cars with FRONT DRUM brakes that you need to be worry about :eek:

Last edited:
:D it was just a thought... didn't think I would be shot down quite so hard.. I shall go to the foot of the stair and contemplate my behaviour ;)

Back to the OP and spec. If it has climate, 16" alloys and fogs it is probably an SE (most popular), if it has 17" 9 spoke alloys, sports seats with bone shaker ride, no fogs, 3 spoke steering wheel it is probably a Sport. 15" alloys with/without climate then it s probably a base model. If it doesn't have digital climate then it doesn't have aircon! And if it has Leather, open sky, Bose you are very lucky!

mjhamilton ? not having a go at you buddy, just saying what i've learned from my experince. Bear in mind that i don't think the same applys to heavy cars like the A4 for instance, as they clearly send more braking bias to their rear disk than our little A2's or the average hot hatch.

mjhamilton ? not having a go at you buddy, just saying what i've learned from my experince. Bear in mind that i don't think the same applys to heavy cars like the A4 for instance, as they clearly send more braking bias to their rear disk than our little A2's or the average hot hatch.

just kidding with you.. having not seen the drum system on the A2 I have no idea if it is up to the job.. I was just responding to a question about things that may need attention..

Clears that one up.. it would seem the rear drums from Audi are like ships anchors and are man enough for the job so my concern has been quashed :D

First thing to do for economy driving guidance - read the Owner's manual!
It's pages 181 to 185 in the English manual 05.02.
It has worked for me, with an average consumption (measured on fuel put in tank vs odometer) of 51mpg over 78 000 miles in a petrol 1.6Fsi.
Car is basic model with less weight, tyre drag and ancillary power consumption; I leave the rear seats out and run the tyre pressures near top of spec.
Hope this helps!

^^^^^???? Simply don't get the point. Why not go the whole hog and remove the passenger seat, carpets, radio etc? :confused: Buy a diesel and have some comfort AND even better economy?

@Adrian888 - mine is definitely an SE then! Thanks for all the tips folks. I'll leave any chipping/remapping on the side for now. Still really happy but I have another slight problem with the ASR button which I shall post elsewhere...:D

Back