No breakdown cover after 16 years

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Just had my renewal for Green Flag Recovery Plus. By post it was £101 but online quote was £72, so much for loyalty. I took the online quote but noticed they only cover vehicles up to 16 years old so cannot renew next year. Do other recovery insurances have similar vehicle age restrictions?

It's a bit illogical as a youger vechicle could have travelled much further but maybe it's a parts thing - no parts available means a tow to nearest garage rather than roadside repair.

UPDATE

1) I've just scanned the Green Flag insurance policy document and the 16 year vehicle age limit only applies (it seems) to personal cover (i.e. where the insurance is on the person for any car). My guess is that for vehicle cover they build into the quoted price extra margin for older vehicles.

2) The prices given were for the full package including Onward Travel, Hire Car/Hotel, At Home service but excluding travel abroad.

Last edited:
Wife's 2003 TDI was recovered tonight following drive belt departure. Auto aid appear not to have age limits(I'm likely to have checked though please don't take my word for it). Very reasonable cost too (self and wife for any vehicle was <£50pa).

Just had my renewal for Green Flag Recovery Plus. By post it was £101 but online quote was £72, so much for loyalty.

This is one of my biggest gripe of today we have never shopped around for anything we have always stayed loyal be it insurance ..AA ..BT ..whatever ...but after hearing from my daughter that she got her new AA insurance for £60 less than we pay (we had been with them 25 years) I was furious after complaining they agreed to give us a good deal for 3 years We did same with our broadband package with sky as we had been with BT all our lives we saved a fortune every month ..my point is the same NO LOYALTY you have to chase them BT did appolagise and we had a nice letter from them ..but this shouldn’t be the case it’s a sad old world ..

I'm with Auto Aid and it cost about £35 for 18 months, no age limits and covers you and your spouse and not the car so no age restrictions. Not had to use them so far though.

I'm with Auto Aid and it cost about £35 for 18 months, no age limits and covers you and your spouse and not the car so no age restrictions. Not had to use them so far though.
Just had a quick look at their policy, I could be signing up for that myself ... never even heard of Auto Aid before :)

Another long term Auto Aid customer here. Had no issues when I had to use them a few years ago for another car. I don't believe they have any car age limitations as the policy covers the individual (and spouse).

I have used Gem Motoring Assist “Recovery RECLAIM” for several years. Following the creation of this thread I have checked the policy wording
https://www.motoringassist.com/breakdown-cover/classic-vehicle-breakdown-cover/

I am pleased to see the cover includes:
Vehicles of any age

Andrew

I can endorse GEM, in effect they cover the driver, not the car, so anything you drive, even my 72 year old MG!

RAB

100_1000.JPG100_0999.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for info on alternative inusurers. Noted for next year. I've just scanned the Green Flag insurance policy document and the 16 year vehicle age limit only applies (it seems) to personal cover (i.e. where the insurance is on the person for any car). My guess is that for vehicle cover they build into the quoted price extra margin for older vehicles.

Should of said that the prices given were for the full package including Onward Travel, Hire Car/Hotel, At Home service but excluding travel abroad.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for info on alternative inusurers. Noted for next year. I've just scanned the Green Flag insurance policy document and the 16 year vehicle age limit only applies (it seems) to personal cover (i.e. where the insurance is on the person for any car). My guess is that for vehicle cover they build into the quoted price extra margin for older vehicles.

Should of said that the prices given were for the full package including Onward Travel, Hire Car/Hotel, At Home service but excluding travel abroad.
Hi Alan,
Your post caused me to check my Green Flag cover /conditions and it would appear that the 16 year old vehicle limit only applies if you obtain Personal Cover direct from Green Flag. We have the Roadside and Recovery with Personal Cover provided by Green Flag through 'Mayday', offered by the Caravan and Motorhome Club, and it would appear that although we are no longer caravanners we can still benefit from the 'no limit' on vehicle age condition.

Back