No heat in my 1.4 Petrol A2 (with aircon)

Undecided

Hi,
The heater seems to have packed up in my A2. I tried cycling temperatures and direction of airflow a bit but it has not made a difference. It all seems to be working but there is just no heat. I can also hear a new low level sound from the engine compartment that i have not noticed before. Have not had time to open the bonnet. the temperature gauge shows normal and car is running ok otherwise. I suggested a hot water bottle to my wife but she was not amused. Any ideas?

Hi,
The heater seems to have packed up in my A2. I tried cycling temperatures and direction of airflow a bit but it has not made a difference. It all seems to be working but there is just no heat. I can also hear a new low level sound from the engine compartment that i have not noticed before. Have not had time to open the bonnet. the temperature gauge shows normal and car is running ok otherwise. I suggested a hot water bottle to my wife but she was not amused. Any ideas?

The heater matrix is part of the hot water loop before the radiator, hot water will go in and out before the thermostat opens, knowing this I can only think this is an issue with the mixing flaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Is that something an amateur could take a look at? If the flaps were playing up would they make a noise?

I think sticking a heater flap is a known issue and you can find solutions on this forum. It happened to me once and use can use VCDS to "exercise" the flaps which can unstick it if you are lucky. Plugging into VCDS might also give you a fault code which might tell you which actuator is stuck. Other than that it used to be an awkward "dash out" job to fix but I seem to remember a thread on here where someone found a way to get access to the flap / motor without removing the dash. I'm clearly a bit hazy on this but do a search around on the forum and you will find some useful stuff.

Trevor

Need to find out which flap is the problem. VCDS will do that. Heat flap can be got at with glove box out. Others are dash off I think. Mac

Is the blower fan working? It will be clearly audible on full speed. Otherwise, flaps are a common issue, a scan would be useful.

The blower fan is definitely working. I have found some instructions on the glove box removal here so i could look at that flap. I dont have VCDS I am afraid but perhaps i should get it. Still a bit worried about the strange noise. It could be coming from the back of the glovebox i suppose.

Look here :

... and here:

Mac.

Other option is check you have enough coolant in your system as if this is low the heater matrix will empty before anything else

Took it out last night for 3 mile run and noticed the temperature gage has gone up to 100-110. That’s always sat dead centre at 90. Manual says not to worry unless earning light comes on. Wife has to drive 15 miles this morning

wife has reported that the coolant warning light came on just as she got to work. Not sure if she should drive it 15 miles home this afternoon. Cant expect her to remove bonnet and top up coolant.

wife has reported that the coolant warning light came on just as she got to work. Not sure if she should drive it 15 miles home this afternoon. Cant expect her to remove bonnet and top up coolant.

Don’t add tap water whatever you do ;) the warning on 3 of mine is useless, I had a leaking temp sensor and didn’t realise until the coolant pressure fired it out and drained the system in seconds

That sounds bad. I guess i must have a slower leak. just wondering wether i should call Auto Aid. not sure if they come out for a warning light.
what should i top up with?

Ring AA or who ever you are with and tell them that coolant warning light had come on, I don't think it would matter what is wrong with the car, you pay for their service.

Been offline for a week whilst on holiday. ( only saw one A2 in Crete ).
So the rescue guy diagnosed a broken water pump and didn’t think it should be driven so we had it taken to our garage. Next day we flew to Crete. While I’ve been away they’ve been in touch and changed the water pump and timing belt. Testing that work they found they needed to Change engine thermostat and expansion tank. That is being done tomorrow so I am hoping that will be the end of it. Obviously running up quite a bill for a car that isn’t worth a huge amount. But I do love the car and the mot is good till May.

Back