Noisy climate fan

paolo_audi

Recently my climate fan starts to make noise especially when I increase the temperature to 23 or 23.5 degrees. So I have taken another fan from a disassembled car. But still noise. So I am asking my self if there could be some other reasons for this noise. I have noted that once I change the temperature the relais related and to the heater system slightly vibrates. I am not sure if I faulty relais could generate an irregular fan working.
Any suggestion ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Did you accidentally remove the balance weights from the replacement fan? If the fan is removed from the dash and powered on does it do the same? Is there anything inside the fan area of the heater that should not be there?

Thanks for your reply ! I haven’t seen any white balances. I will check again tomorrow the fan i have removed. Are they important to avoid noise ? I haven’t tested the fan before installing it but with fresh air there is no noise. Only when starting heating, few minutes later noise come out.

The little balance weights ( clips ) are there to reduce vibration and noise when the wheel spins fast. If the fan spins smoothly when out of the housing then either the fan is not correctly locating into the housing, or there is something being trapped or caught in the spinning fan.
It really makes no sense if the fan is silent and only makes noise when heating. At what temp setting does this happen and is it consistent from that point to full hot? To me possible there is something inside one of the heating ducts that is vibrating in the air flow.

I have driven the car again today. There is no noise when the fan runs quickly. The noise can be heard when the fan level is 3/4 bars on display. The noise looks like a cicada. When I hear this noise if I knock on the fan then it stops for a while then it starts again. As to the position of fan I think it is correct as all four screws are in their position. I haven’t put the highest right side screw because it is a nightmare to put it …

Well that is probably the problem. Audi designed it to run with a certain number of screws, by fitting less there is some flexing and vibration introduced. Fit them all. Wrong to complain when it is something that needs to be done properly.

Is the housing correctly located into the other half? No trapped wiring or loose wiring? Cracked or split air ducting?

Can you try another fan assembly?

Mines doing the same after “freeing”off fan! I didn’t put top left screw in either as I just couldn’t get to it!Im just turning the radio up?

Sounds like - no pun - the bearings could be worn. Did you make sure the motor was secure into its housing and the 4 rubber locating wedges were correctly fitted with their lip over the slot?

Probably time for a new blower assembly then. Did you clean out the "hamsters wheel" at the same time, they are actually white in colour. Have seen grey all the way to black.

Noise is usually down to an imbalance of the wheel causing a vibration.

At the end I have ordered a new fan brand Behr. It should be same as original. It costs on ebay over 90€. There are cheap ones that cost 30/40€ but I prefer to install a good one. Hope to solve the trouble..

Back