Not starting - slow starter motor

Hocminty

Hi All,

Its a sign its winter! soon as you need the motor it will not start. New battery (thanks for advice) fitted, but starter is not having it, its very slow to non existent. TBH its been very laboured turning over since we bought the car end of last January but always kicked in. Not anymore it seems, I have checked a few posts and checked cleaned up the earth connection on the chassis, though this did seem OK, so I'm assuming a new starter motor.
Any recommendations for 2001 1.4 Diesel?

Just because you cleaned the end on the chassis, did you clean the end on the starter and also check it was not corroded or even broken under the insulation? Get a jump lead and connect the engine block to one end and a good chassis earth to the other. Now try to start the engine. If better then existing earth lead is poor. Either replace it with a new one or run a secondary earth to the block and chassis. Most of us who have a second earth have located it from the chassis side of the left engine mount onto the belt tensioner on the block. Only then think about it being the starter as you have a new battery. I am assuming that the battery terminals are all tight and the block to the left of the positive lead is tightly bolted to the positive clamp and all the internal connections inside the block are tight?
Also check the positive lead on the starter is clean and tight.

You can try to measure voltage directly on the starter while you are engaging the starter with the key. Report the drop here and I am sure you will get good help as usual wrt how much would be acceptable with a new battery.
Good luck ?
dieselfan

Just because you cleaned the end on the chassis, did you clean the end on the starter and also check it was not corroded or even broken under the insulation? Get a jump lead and connect the engine block to one end and a good chassis earth to the other. Now try to start the engine. If better then existing earth lead is poor. Either replace it with a new one or run a secondary earth to the block and chassis. Most of us who have a second earth have located it from the chassis side of the left engine mount onto the belt tensioner on the block. Only then think about it being the starter as you have a new battery. I am assuming that the battery terminals are all tight and the block to the left of the positive lead is tightly bolted to the positive clamp and all the internal connections inside the block are tight?
Also check the positive lead on the starter is clean and tight.
Hi thanks for the information, i'll check the leads as suggested and update. Just on the additional lead am I running it from the starter motor to engine block, or just from the engine block to the chassis?

You can try to measure voltage directly on the starter while you are engaging the starter with the key. Report the drop here and I am sure you will get good help as usual wrt how much would be acceptable with a new battery.
Good luck ?
dieselfan
Cheers, I'm not so good with the meter (not a clue what I'm doing or looking for!) I can just about use it to see if theres continuity, as for knowing how to read it I'm lost. I usually resort to my cables connected to a bulb (thats my level) :(

Hi thanks for the information, i'll check the leads as suggested and update. Just on the additional lead am I running it from the starter motor to engine block, or just from the engine block to the chassis?
Sorry to butt in ... from the engine block to the chassis.

Jump lead is engine to chassis as a temporary supplementary earth to test integrity of your existing earth strap

Cheers, I'm not so good with the meter (not a clue what I'm doing or looking for!) I can just about use it to see if theres continuity, as for knowing how to read it I'm lost. I usually resort to my cables connected to a bulb (thats my level) :(
....then you know exactly how I feel every time I have an electrical problem... (and that happens more and more often the older my A2s get....)
So, you are not alone ?
dieselfan

Right, I've progressed a little today and have attached a cable from engine to chassis using the points where the recommended additional earth strap should go, but alas no joy. So, remove the starter motor, only I've hit a problem! the bolt underneath looks a little bodged? can any of you shed any light as to whether or not this is legit? the small bolt is knackered after giving it a good clean and will need removing with mole grips, but the large nut makes me wonder if this has been bodged in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    680.5 KB · Views: 230
How do you mean? Tbh I’m not really to sure where to attach the cable to on the block or the chassis
You can connect anywhere as long as it is secure at both the chassis end and the engine end, all you're really doing is making the circuit from the starter motor back to the battery earth ... which is earthed to the engine block by the two retaining bolts,

What we are saying is to make sure the jump lead is making good contact with bare metal both on the engine block and on the chassis, if not then this second earth may not be working. Use one of the bolts securing your Webasto heater onto the chassis and connect the other end onto one of the engine lifting eyes or anywhere you can get a good clamp onto the block.

The nuts just look worn probably from being tight and the wrong spanner or socket used. The connection does look poor so best to just remove the connections on the starter and give them a good clean then refit. Hopefully is is just a bad positive or negative on the starter and not the actual starter.
Replace with new any worn nuts and bolts as you go.

The nuts just look worn probably from being tight and the wrong spanner or socket used. The connection does look poor so best to just remove the connections on the starter and give them a good clean then refit. Hopefully is is just a bad positive or negative on the starter and not the actual starter.
Replace with new any worn nuts and bolts as you go.
Cheers off to see if I can get it off now. I take it that one nut bolts the starter to the engine then and one bolts cable on then.

Safety first remove at least the battery earth lead from the battery and place a bit of cardboard on the terminal to stop it accidentally touching.

Back