Number plate lights

simufly

A2OC Donor
Noticed one was out this morning, ok phillips driver out, spot of plus gas as heads appeared a biit rusty. Leave for a bit then as the Haynes manual says "remove and replace" Sad thing is both screws turned off mid shaft so I have the lens and guts but not the body.
Whats the best way to proceed!

Darren C

Admin Team
If you are saying that the screws have rounded off Simon, you will need to remove the rear tailgate panel to get the holders out to correct this.

audifan

A2OC Donor
Experienced something similar myself recently. Can you grip the remains with pointed nose or small mole grips? If not this is what I did.
Plenty of Plus Gas and a range of bits later still not budged. I drilled the heads, but used a smaller drill and went into the screw by about 7mm. I then used a Torx bit in my drill and with slight sideways pressure they came out with the drill in reverse. No dismantling of the tailgate required....
This is assuming you only want to replace the bulbs or clear lens. If you want to change the whole assembly then I am afraid you will have to take the tailgate apart.

Clackers

Worsr case scenario I have a pair of number plate lens rears without snapped screws in.
But you'd need to remove the inner panel to swap out the knackered ones.

simufly

A2OC Donor
Ok got a new unit but how does the old one come out? The workshop manual useless. All it says is remove bulb carrier from tailgate. Ok but how Audi?

Special edition

Admin Team
I am sure someone will come along shortly and explain in more detail Simon. It basically involves tugging off the interior boot fabric cover and sliding off the whole rear number plate panel. Not a job for the faint hearted I,m afraid. I've only watched it been done once a while back by an expert and even they had a spare clip kit ready for when the ones broke on the boot panel.

steve_c

A2OC Donor
Ok got a new unit but how does the old one come out? The workshop manual useless. All it says is remove bulb carrier from tailgate. Ok but how Audi?
The forum is awash with threads covering this issue (just use Google). Here's a thread that might be of interest:

Assuming you need to remove the interior trim from the tailgate, this thread will get you started:

Menno

A2OC Donor
On my A2 there was the same trouble; lens screws broken off and held in place by gaffa tape......... Not how I liked it.

Took out the soldering iron with a small tip, gentle pushed the tip along the broken screw and melted the plastics around it. If it's cleared along the screw enough you can manage to wiggle it out of the hole.

Now, the hole will be BIG now. Take again your steaming hot soldering tip, and melt/model the plastic/hole to a smaller diameter.
Too small is not a problem, take a suitable sized drill and make it the size you need.
Install some inox screws with some grease, and happy days!