Number plate size

V666col

Can I have hones opinion please Which looks better? I honestly prefer big as it fills the gap better. Please take no notice of the Welsh emblem. For some reason they added it and are sending me another without.

Attachments

• 2D59582C-29E6-45B5-9F54-9B2E2E5A7127.jpeg
    2D59582C-29E6-45B5-9F54-9B2E2E5A7127.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • E501D943-7CD4-4A53-B2C0-717BD31701B2.jpeg
    E501D943-7CD4-4A53-B2C0-717BD31701B2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 120
Thanks mate. I’m struggling with the word illegal though. I don’t mind Welsh emblem mate but I’m in Derbys and it just doesn’t look right

Lol. I know mate don’t worry. Go to you area now and again. Wasn’t fun during lockdown. Just didn’t see anyone for miles.

If it's been sold specified for road use, I'm sure the number plate supplier will have complied with the law in all aspects of the font, size and spacing of the characters on the number plate. The difference between the two that the OP is asking our opinions on is the size of the reflective background of the plate.

I'm all for the smaller one. Remember the shaped backgrounds that you used to see on Rover 75's and Ford Focus Mk1's? I never liked them. Another advantage of the smaller plate (which is the UK standard size) is that you can fit them in A2OC number plate surrounds :) These have so many screw holes available that whatever positions your current mounting screws are in, you will have several choices of vertical position of the plate & holder to fill the mounting area in the way that seems best to you. Or you can just stick them into your desired position.

I prefer the smaller one but to my eye Audi set the plate bolts too high in the recess, the top edge visually almost cut off with a wide band in the plate recess below, it should be visually centred. Indeed this was briefly discussed with Tom and Ian while replacing the number plate after work in Leighton Buzzard a few days ago and set a little lower as this can be easily achieved with the club plate holder I have.

Andy

Last edited:
My personal favourite now is the standard size that fits into a surround but with the raised characters.

This is a good example...

Quite like larger one. Purists wouldn’t agree which is fair enough. As for legality? well if you follow current affairs or been awake for the last 2 years I personally wouldn’t give it a second thought as way to far down the list for consideration

If you intend to take your car abroad better to get the GB UK instead of England, Scotland, Wales badges.

Corrected as per below.

Last edited:
You are correct and for some strange reason I typed GB and not UK in my answer. UK includes Northern Ireland whereas GB does not.

The difference between the two that the OP is asking our opinions on is the size of the reflective background of the plate.

Thanks. I'd succumbed to the optical illusion that persuaded me that it was the size of the the registration digits that was changing.

Like you, I prefer the standard size with a clip-on holder. Simple and elegant.

Back