Odd goings on in my ventilation system

tipomark

A2OC Supporter
United-Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm having an odd issue with my HVAC system and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the issue.
With the scorching temperatures we're having down south at the moment I'd thought I'd have my air conditioning re-gassed last weekend which was fantastic for the first couple of days but now I seem to have a very strange issue!
With the climate set to 18/low I get ice cold air(16°)coming from the passenger side(face)and footwell vent....slightly warmer air(20°) from the centre vents and warm air(25°) from the drivers side (face) and footwell vents. A scan with vcds has brought up no codes so I'm scratching my head at the moment!
Anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers,
Mark

Evening,

I’m sure one of the more experienced members will be along shortly to give you advice.

As you’re not getting any positioning flap issues presenting itself during a scan here’s my theory which might be worth check now the sun has gone down:

The passenger side of the car is where the AC pipes enter the cabin from the engine bay, this could well be the reason it is colder in that region, it be that the further the cold air passes along the dashboard, it’s absorbing heat as the dashboard top does get hot. This in theory makes sense to me but might be worth trying the following:

Try to do the same test you conducted earlier, this evening or tomorrow morning before the sun heats up your dashboard. If you get improved results it could just be that the A2 has poorly insulated pipe work for the cold air. I’ve not experienced this myself but it’s got to be worth a go. If you still get a similar result (uneven temperatures) when the dashboard is cool then the problem must be with the positioning flaps or deeper within the system.

As I opened up with, hopefully a more experienced member will be along to give you some diagnostic type of advice.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi everyone,

I'm having an odd issue with my HVAC system and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the issue.
With the scorching temperatures we're having down south at the moment I'd thought I'd have my air conditioning re-gassed last weekend which was fantastic for the first couple of days but now I seem to have a very strange issue!
With the climate set to 18/low I get ice cold air(16°)coming from the passenger side(face)and footwell vent....slightly warmer air(20°) from the centre vents and warm air(25°) from the drivers side (face) and footwell vents. A scan with vcds has brought up no codes so I'm scratching my head at the moment!
Anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers,
Mark
Hi tipomark,
Have you tried cycling the control flaps manually rather than in auto ie: shut off the ones that work & seeing if the offending ones temperature drops,
I find at high ambient temps 38deg c
Yesterday you can help the system by running on recirc mode.
Hth
Keith.

Thanks guys.
Tom,the car is garaged so I don't really have any issue with the dash heating up during the day. I have just been out in slightly cooler temperatures though 29° and still have the same issue. 99% of the time the climate is in manual mode as opposed to auto. Symptoms are the same as before and with the passenger and centre vents closed I'm still getting warmish air through the drivers side vent. It's still the same with the foot vents.
I did have the centre vent out earlier to clean the cup holders and did notice the sealing foam strip had broken down due to age and have started to wonder if others have disintegrated.
Cheers,
Mark

Layout of the control flaps and position motors are covered in this post. The diagrams are really sharp and blow up well but the text is in German
A later post gives a link to the English version but the illustrations are not as crisp / easy to read

Cheers Spike

Layout of the control flaps and position motors are covered in this post. The diagrams are really sharp and blow up well but the text is in German
A later post gives a link to the English version but the illustrations are not as crisp / easy to read

Cheers Spike
Thanks Spike,
I think I've found the cause of the issue!
It seems the bolt holding the drive plate on the air con compressor pulley had made its way loose and I was able to undo it with my fingers,it's now bolted in with thread lock. Has anyone e else had an issue with the bolt making it's self loose??
Cheers,
Mark

Back