Oil Leak at Tandem pump

nick4tl

Hi Everyone,
In the never ending saga of getting my A2 back on the road I seem to have a small oil (not diesel) leak from just under the tandem pump. I just wanted to check if anyone had advice on fixing this, as in whether its new pump or just a gasket or seal?
It's an AMF engine with a LUK tandem pump.
Thanks
N

While it is possible to replace the gasket to cure the oil leak, it is an indication the pump is probably on its way out. Oil leak not the end of the world. Diesel leak end of all the rubber pipes in the areas world...If changing the pump recommend replacing it with a Bosch pump as far better than LUK. Either way fit a good OEM quality gasket between the pump and engine and carefully torque the bolts to prevent damage to the gasket and another oil leak.

Evening Nick,

I also have this problem (AMF also). I’m not sure if it’s oil or diesel though. The coolant pipe below hasn’t been damaged yet so guess it might not be diesel.

I have seen the gasket repair kits available on an auction site for around £25. This was the option I was going to investigate to see if I could save a few £££s. @audifan (or anyone else) have you tried any such kits before and what were the results.

Is it a straight forward task or is it better to dig very deep into the pocket and get a completely tandem pump.

Very happy to hear anyone’s thoughts on repairing a tandem pump versus buying a new one.

Kind regards,

Tom

Best bet here is to replace with the bosch pump (new) as a direct replacement.New pump comes with gasket normally. I picked up a new pump for just over £100 from buycarparts.co.uk but prices do vary.

IMO best not to buy secondhand for pumps but you may get away with it.

I did reseal my AMF pump but only lasted a couple of weeks. Had to change all the rubber pipes twice. Do not buy a used pump very much false economy. Bosch pump usually does NOT come with the gasket but it is a far better pump than the original LUK ones. Think I paid about 2/3 the cost of the Bosch pump buying the second set of rubber hoses, so an expensive time. Other thing to consider is the reseal kit does not come with a replacement drive and the old one could well be showing signs of wear.

Hi Everyone,
In the never ending saga of getting my A2 back on the road I seem to have a small oil (not diesel) leak from just under the tandem pump. I just wanted to check if anyone had advice on fixing this, as in whether its new pump or just a gasket or seal?
It's an AMF engine with a LUK tandem pump.
Thanks
N

Hello Nick,

what is actually the "tandem pump"? Is it an oil pump or anything different?

Thanks,

Andre

I did reseal my AMF pump but only lasted a couple of weeks. Had to change all the rubber pipes twice. Do not buy a used pump very much false economy. Bosch pump usually does NOT come with the gasket but it is a far better pump than the original LUK ones. Think I paid about 2/3 the cost of the Bosch pump buying the second set of rubber hoses, so an expensive time. Other thing to consider is the reseal kit does not come with a replacement drive and the old one could well be showing signs of wear.

Weirdly enough mine did!

I have often wondered if there is anything that we could spray on the rubber pipes to protect them from damage by fuel.

Hi all. Thanks for the info. I’m going to keep it under surveillance for a while and decide what to do next month so. This weeks joy is replacing the clutch after only a few hundred miles as the slave cylinder gave up and spewed fluid on it and the bearing wore out. Jeeesh! This car.

@coola2 The Bosch tandem I fitted part number is F009D02799. As for the best price that is difficult to say with covid shortages etc, best just search on line.

You will also need to get a matching OEM quality metal gasket as most companies that supply the tandem do not supply a gasket with it. Make sure you get a gasket with the 2 little tracts of silicon as the ones without tend to leak.

Anyone else reading this thread please note the Bosch is a direct replacement for the LUK on an AMF engine. If you have a BHC or ATL then you will need to get an additional part to extend the ASV past the thicker Bosch pump. Paul @depronman was modifying a suitable part to bolt in. Please talk to Paul to find out if this part is done on an exchange basis, if you need to supply one or if Paul sources then modifies the part. Also bear in mind this may not be a quick process so again contact Paul for more info.
I can not say if the pump would be a direct replacement on the ANY or if that also needs the extender adapter.

do you also have a part number for the gasket please? is anything else required at the same time?

how difficult of a job is it to replace this?

im going to send it to my mechanic but wanna work out roughly what its going to cost in terms of labour charge

thank you!

Is it this one?

038145215​

This is what was fitted to my car last year - complete mare as the pump wasn't leaking it was the rocker cover but it was coming out behind the pump...coupled with the fact I'd bought a pump to replace already then found out I'd bought the one from the 1.9TDi by mistake it was a fabulous day :D

Good luck!

Back