Oil on glow plug

Bri76

I bought my A2 (2002, 1.4 TDI) 2 months ago from a 2nd hand dealer. It has done 130K miles, but what attracted me was it had full Audi dealer service and one owner from new. It has has had a few knocks (nothing major), but to find a car of that age with a full service history and recent cam-belt change seemed like the one to buy.

This weekend I decided to do an oil, filter, glow plugs and gearbox oil change (gearbox oil was a bit of a mare, but managed it).
On removing the 3rd glow plug (the one nearest the right of the car as you look at them), it had engine oil on the tip of the plug.

The car isn't missing a beat, but I am a little concerned. Any thoughts on why it's there? I have 3 months warranty with the car, so if it could be a major gasket on the way out, fingers crossed it will be covered?

... finally, the gearbox filler sump plug. Does it sit flush when it's in place. I replaced with a new one, but it isn't flush with the side of the gearbox, it sticks out a bit? I did't pay too much attention when I removed the old one.

Thanks in advance for your advice

the gearbox drain and fill plugs are tapered threads so tighten up on the thread to prevent leaks the more they are screwed in, tighten then until they are nipped up then I add 1/2 turn. I have heard of a few raps of pipe PTFE tape before the plug is screwed in to prevent leaks, but I have never had to do this.

cheers,
Paul

Back