Oil pressure warning light - just serviced!

steve@cromford

A2OC Donor
I had my 1.4 petrol (BBY engine) serviced today at a local garage today.

They had to fit a new oil pressure sensor as it was leaking oil.

Just as they drove it out of the bay the oil pressure warning light came on (red oil can and beeping)

They spent another 20 minutes checking connection, oil level, diagnostics etc., but still flashing warning. They double-checked they had put the correct amount of oil in.

They said they will order another oil pressure switch as it could have been a faulty one, and nothing else came up on the scan.

Fingers crossed that’s all it is. I’ve had this car over 3 years with no previous issues with the oil warning light.

Anything else I should get them to check when it goes back in next week?

Did they do anything other than change the sensor?
Sometimes a shop doesn't tighten the oil drain bolt or filter properly or even forgets to put new oil in, but if it already gave a warning light in the shop itself it can't have leaked out everything without someone noticing.

Exactly what was the warning light? Was it ONLY the oil can, or was it the oil can with wiggly lines under it and the word LOW, or was it the oil can with wiggly lines under it and the word SENSOR. Lets hope they didn't fit a genuine OEM sensor as many aftermarket sensors are rubbish.

Oil can on its own is low oil pressure. Oil can wiggly lines and LOW is oil level too low. Oil can and wiggly lines and SENSOR is a faulty oil level temp sensor.

Exactly what was the warning light? Was it ONLY the oil can, or was it the oil can with wiggly lines under it and the word LOW, or was it the oil can with wiggly lines under it and the word SENSOR. Lets hope they didn't fit a genuine OEM sensor as many aftermarket sensors are rubbish.

Oil can on its own is low oil pressure. Oil can wiggly lines and LOW is oil level too low. Oil can and wiggly lines and SENSOR is a faulty oil level temp sensor.
Aftermarket sensor perhaps?
Mac.

What can cause low oil pressure issue, if not low oil level? Worn seal or piston rings? I've had that red can light on 2 years ago, then I had changed the oil and it went away. I had bought the oil sensor as well, but fortunately didn't have to use it.

Only the oil can.

What about oil can and wiggly line and the word "min" on a 2003 1.4tdi? I've checked the oil level and its between the min and max marks

Lets hope they didn't fit a genuine OEM sensor as many aftermarket sensors are rubbish.
"Lets hope they did fit a genuine OEM sensor as many aftermarket sensors are rubbish."

RAB

@hoverdog the oil can symbol with the wiggly line and MIN means the car thinks the oil level is below the minimum level. As you have physically checked the level on what is assumed to be the correct dipstick then I would say that the oil level / temp sensor has failed.

@RAB you got the wrong end of the stick. As the OP is experiencing a warning light that is why I stated "Lets hope they didn't fit a genuine OEM sensor as many aftermarket sensors are rubbish."

If so a simple replacement with an OEM sensor could be the answer. But if they have used an OEM sensor the sensor could still be faulty but more likely another issue.

3 wires on the sensor for oil level and pressure. Ground and one for oil level and the other for oil temperature. VCDS scan can check the sensor.

3 wires on the pressure sensor but connect at the same point. Engine acting as the connection for earth.

Last edited:
That's great news, and a lesson to us all really. I read way too much on this forum, to the point of addiction and Mrs threatening to chuck me out, and i see this alot on here where oem wins.
Some things are definitely worth paying bit extra for.
After all the sensor from audi Lasted this long originally so it will last again.
I also notice @audifan is nearly always right!! 😆

@hoverdog the oil can symbol with the wiggly line and MIN means the car thinks the oil level is below the minimum level. As you have physically checked the level on what is assumed to be the correct dipstick then I would say that the oil level / temp sensor has failed.
thanks for the confirmation, looks like a pig to get to though (Timmus reckons its below the ancillary belt pulley-mine appears to be on the front of the engine just below the rear of the alernator).

Last month I replaced the oil level / temp sensor on a 2003 AMF. It has one electrical connector and is secured by one bolt. Here is a picture from someone else ( sorry to the owner of the pic but can't remember who you are )..

1656773378566.png

With the front of the car raised on ramps or axle stands, remove the under tray. Go under the car and locate the turbo outlet pipe as it runs along the side of the sump, above this on the rear corner of the engine and sump pan joint next to the pulley you will see the sensor. Remove the electrical plug and the bolt. You will have to gently lever the sensor upwards to get it out of the location. Put a little engine oil on the new sensor O ring then maneuver it in and push it down into the block / sump. You may need to use the bolt to draw it in the last bit before torquing the bolt and refitting the electrical plug.

Here is a picture of the sensor type I fitted. Note there is a different type and shape of sensor on some cars that fits on the front face of the block near the oil filter housing location...

1656774050066.png

1656774095016.png

The car I replaced the sensor on did not have the oil sensor warning but the temp sensor side had failed and was reporting an oil temperature reading of 155 Degrees with the engine off.

Last month I replaced the oil level / temp sensor on a 2003 AMF. It has one electrical connector and is secured by one bolt. Here is a picture from someone else ( sorry to the owner of the pic but can't remember who you are )..

View attachment 96481

With the front of the car raised on ramps or axle stands, remove the under tray. Go under the car and locate the turbo outlet pipe as it runs along the side of the sump, above this on the rear corner of the engine and sump pan joint next to the pulley you will see the sensor. Remove the electrical plug and the bolt. You will have to gently lever the sensor upwards to get it out of the location. Put a little engine oil on the new sensor O ring then maneuver it in and push it down into the block / sump. You may need to use the bolt to draw it in the last bit before torquing the bolt and refitting the electrical plug.

Here is a picture of the sensor type I fitted. Note there is a different type and shape of sensor on some cars that fits on the front face of the block near the oil filter housing location...

View attachment 96483
View attachment 96484

The car I replaced the sensor on did not have the oil sensor warning but the temp sensor side had failed and was reporting an oil temperature reading of 155 Degrees with the engine off.
One of the reasons I love this forum is the amount of qualified advice available for mere mortals like me. Looking at your pics, just goes to show that even within the AMF designation there is more than one model of engine. Cheers mate

Back