ok i must be going soft

WayneoA2

right . these cold mornings are defo not agreeing with me since ive been use to 40 plus weather for 11 years ... Yes i knew these little things took a while to warm up so i am thinking of an separate electric heater to get the cabin warmer way quicker ..... Thoughts or has anyone else gone down the same route ??

You already have one. Do a bit of research on the electric auxiliary heater. Welcome to Britain!!!

Profile states 2004 tdi 90?? Agreed if 2002 more likely to be a Webasto. We need a picture of the drivers side of the engine bay.

Either way we are back to rubbing the stomach while patting the head to get the parameters and switches to align to get either aux heater working.

im not sure if its working but even then i would still want some thing that warms the cabin up a lot quicker
If it was working, then in external temperatures of 7°C or below, you'd be starting to get heat after the first mile or so, or after a few mins idling. If you want anything faster, you'd need some plug-in 12v solution I should think.

If it was working, then in external temperatures of 7°C or below, you'd be starting to get heat after the first mile or so, or after a few mins idling. If you want anything faster, you'd need some plug-in 12v solution I should think.
yep im looking at a 12v plug in heater ... but will also get some pics of the heater and post them up . people are saying you should feel heat from the drivers side wheel arch pretty soon after starting if the aux heater is working

yep im looking at a 12v plug in heater ... but will also get some pics of the heater and post them up . people are saying you should feel heat from the drivers side wheel arch pretty soon after starting if the aux heater is working
Indeed, the Webasto exhaust is in the undertray just forward and inboard of driver's side front wheel.

Wayne, look at a Calix or DEFA block heater if the car is parked near an electrical socket. Both I and @gills have gone for one of these respectively. Search the threads on this forum for details.

Wayne, look at a Calix or DEFA block heater if the car is parked near an electrical socket. Both I and @gills have gone for one of these respectively. Search the threads on this forum for details.

Here you go:
https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/eco-alan.43243/post-396514

I have also taken to putting a fan heater in the car for 5 mins prior to leaving on frosty mornings - it clears the windows without having to scrap them! There are some small ceramic heaters on Amazon that look ideal for heating the inside.

Engine bay with Webasto off side rear of bay

1611258044129.png

And no Webasto. Electric aux heater built into cabin heater box. Ignore the horn that is where I relocated it to.

1611258249064.jpeg

I also have a defa heater sitting in a box in the garage waiting for an opportunity to get it fitted next to the oil cooler - other things have got in the way this time round. The difference between the Webasto (meaningful heat in about the same time as our AUA car starts being able to clear the windows) and the auxiliary air heater (partially effective) over the commute journeys I use them for mostly is such that the AMF car is the one I use for winter commuting (or would be doing if I wasn't getting the gearbox replaced today) as it is lovely to have a jet of hot air onto the hands within 5 minutes of leaving home after scraping the windows.

Otherwise when I know I need clear windows for a quick start, I have 2 60W incandescent bulbs in clip-on mains holders that clip onto a cup holder at the front and the cubby hole behind the handbrake at the rear - overnight those keep a car either completely frost free, or else on a properly cold night, the frost remains soft-scoop consistency rather than welded to the glass. The garden extension cable from the garage goes neatly through the seals around the door frame to the driver's seat where the lights are plugged in.

I also have a defa heater sitting in a box in the garage waiting for an opportunity to get it fitted next to the oil cooler - other things have got in the way this time round. The difference between the Webasto (meaningful heat in about the same time as our AUA car starts being able to clear the windows) and the auxiliary air heater (partially effective) over the commute journeys I use them for mostly is such that the AMF car is the one I use for winter commuting (or would be doing if I wasn't getting the gearbox replaced today) as it is lovely to have a jet of hot air onto the hands within 5 minutes of leaving home after scraping the windows.

Otherwise when I know I need clear windows for a quick start, I have 2 60W incandescent bulbs in clip-on mains holders that clip onto a cup holder at the front and the cubby hole behind the handbrake at the rear - overnight those keep a car either completely frost free, or else on a properly cold night, the frost remains soft-scoop consistency rather than welded to the glass. The garden extension cable from the garage goes neatly through the seals around the door frame to the driver's seat where the lights are plugged in.
Want something that is totally independent so no plugging in mains etc.. some thing that I can just flick on as soon as I start the engine and get instant heat with in seconds . I need to reaclimatize to uk weather . But that could take some time ..

Back