OSS tilt function on first press of the button

Proghound

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
I've noticed that Pure's OSS doesn't stop at the tilt stage when you press the button. It just carries on for as long as you hold the button or until it's fully open. I did read somewhere that 'early' OSS didn't have the two-stage open process. Does anyone know when that change was introduced? (Pure is a '52 car by the way). Is there any chance that the two-stage opening be achieved by swapping any parts between two OSS-equipped cars, without having to change the roof itself? Thanks for any light that can be shed :)

While you're changing the motor, it's worth giving the housing a good squeeze with some grips, this will increase it's lifetime significantly. If you have some, you could also put in some pop rivets, which will hold it together.

While you're changing the motor, it's worth giving the housing a good squeeze with some grips, this will increase it's lifetime significantly. If you have some, you could also put in some pop rivets, which will hold it together.
Thanks, I'm not yet familiar with what lurks behind the rooflining, but I'll have a good look when I take the breaker's one out to make sure I understand.

the motor mounts to an aluminium die casting, this is in 2 halves which are pop riveted together, but the holes are larger than the rivets, so as the rivets wear slack the two halves can move and this causes motor pinion to cable slippage (the click of death sound that the roof makes when its dying)

That's the noise the one in the breaker is making. Pure's is thankfully smooth & quiet but I'll have a look at the rivets as I go.

All motors post 2002 have the tilt function, I can only guess that yours has been changed at some point for the earlier motor.

Last edited:
All motors post 2001 have the tilt function, I can only guess that yours has been changed at some point for the earlier motor.
There's no history with the car but I could well imagine the OSS has had some work in the past to be as smooth as it is. There's no cable slack and it opens to the full extent, just a couple of inches from the tailgate glass when the boot is open. I bet it didn't stay like that from new! Now it will get its tilt function back too :)

Back