Chat Our lovely A2 got crashed into!!

datsundrew

A2OC Donor
So yesterday my partner on his first day back to the office after 2 years and this happens!
Turning right at a mini roundabout , a Ford Fiesta pulled out and caught the front corner, damaging the bumper, but miraculously not a lot else, and it’s put a massive dent down the side of the fiesta. The lad who pulled out has just turned 19 and was very apologetic and admitted blame. He was very keen not to go through the insurance. I have a feeling the insurance would probably write both cars off and he’d end up paying thousands in future premiums. I got the car over the pit , removed the bonnet and headlight to have a good look, and it’s just the bumper, wing, and the plastic lower fog blanking and central piece that are needed.
we have had a discussion with the lad and his parents and have come to an agreement, I have a wing and bumper on its way, but I’m after the lower plastic fog blanks and central piece, If anyone has these bits for sale I would be extremely grateful.

Attachments

• DC15FF8F-4FE4-4AF1-9C36-5C8B0A9ACCBC.jpeg
    DC15FF8F-4FE4-4AF1-9C36-5C8B0A9ACCBC.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 203
That’s very admirable of you. I know what it’s like for the youngsters, they really do not want to claim in the first two years, it really does cripple them. Sad about the A2 but I’m sure @A2Steve has what you need and the car will be good for another ten years.
Good that the lad admitted his mistake, there are some good’uns out there.

Good luck

Ian

I feared the worst from the title but I'm pleased there was a reasonably happy ending for all involved. Can't help with parts but good luck.

I definitely have the centre grille there but will need to confirm the foglight surround.

Edit - @datsundrew can you confirm whether your car has foglights or not, it would appear not.

That’s very admirable of you. I know what it’s like for the youngsters, they really do not want to claim in the first two years, it really does cripple them. Sad about the A2 but I’m sure @A2Steve has what you need and the car will be good for another ten years.
Good that the lad admitted his mistake, there are some good’uns out there.

Good luck

Ian
Thanks Ian! I may be an old fart, but I do remember being young😂. Yes the lad would suffer years of high insurance, plus his excess of £500. It was tempting to go the insurance route, get written off, buy back and carry on but considering I have restored many cars, have the tools and time it seemed right to give the lad a break. He is genuinely really upset, and of course he has his own pride and joy to deal with, which would also be a write off, more so than the Audi!

Attachments

• C6FA9DD5-CB38-43EF-BF20-420B6B273945.jpeg
    C6FA9DD5-CB38-43EF-BF20-420B6B273945.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 171
Ouch! :eek: You got quite lucky there (relatively speaking!) the Fiesta definitely came off worse in the deal.

I have the blank covers for the foglights if @A2Steve doesn't.

Looking at your photo, might you also be in need of the air diverter cowling that goes in front of the intercooler? That would be another one for Steve next time he breaks a TDI.

Ouch! :eek: You got quite lucky there (relatively speaking!) the Fiesta definitely came off worse in the deal.

I have the blank covers for the foglights if @A2Steve doesn't.

Looking at your photo, might you also be in need of the air diverter cowling that goes in front of the intercooler? That would be another one for Steve next time he breaks a TDI.
oh thanks! I will let you know if steve comes up trumps! 😀 not sure about the air diverter, didn’t see one before. My partner went back to pick up the bits…..al smashed, but there was a long thin piece I couldn’t identify…..and that is probably it?

Attachments

• E71DBB1D-65E4-4194-A453-06F54462631D.jpeg
    E71DBB1D-65E4-4194-A453-06F54462631D.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 150
The air diverter is a rectangular thing with a sort of scoop in it. The long thin piece looks like the thing that sits in front across the bottom of it, at the level of the bottom of the radiator. The other broken parts might be some of the verticals that come off it.

When you get the bumper off, check the condition of the metal crash beam behind it, I'd be surprised if it hadn't taken some damage, but hopefully not pushed right back into the radiator. There's one on every A2 that gets recycled, so if needed it shouldn't take too long for one to turn up that isn't bent.

Morning

I don’t think I have the foglight blanks there and wouldn’t possibly sell something when others are kindly offering it to you for free.

I have the centre grille. I have replacement radiator surrounds and I also have the crash bar should you need it.

I think it would be best for you to pop the bumper off and let’s see what’s damaged and needing replacement?

What a fantastic group of bods you all are! Thank you so much for the offers and advice so far, I will be in touch soon.
we are going away to wales for a couple of days, and have a meet with the lad on Monday to sort finances and write out some sort of disclaimer to put it all to rest, once that’s done I can get it fixed up,

Sorry to learn, and to echo others, a truly magnanimous approach to the youngsters error - we can all learn something here.

Great community spirit as always, agree with @simon martyn. Hope there is no hidden damage and you are up and running with all the parts you need soonest.

Pleased too that there were no injuries besides pride (youngster) and light repairable damage.

So…..tomorrow is D-day! We meet up with the lad to sort out funds, and sign a waiver against future clam etc. Let’s hope it goes to plan! I have some of the bits, and once tomorrow is done I’ll be in contact with those who have kindly offered to help out with the plastic bits. I did over 250 miles over the weekend and it drives spot on.

Back