out of 98 ron

steve54

nearly out of super unleaded. none for sale now for 11days in my area (grimsby) shell. tesco's. bp. esso. etc
I can't find out when its back in stock. any thoughts

Same issue here in the South East, but luckily we also have an i3 which is now being commandeered for all journeys and recharged every night. Tomorrow I will try our local Shell stations again, incase they have had any V-Power deliveries, but understandably they are concentrating on Diesel and Regular.

Put in no more 95 than you need and take it easy. That is unless 95 can't withstand the injector pressures.

It's what I do with both my strictly 98 RON petrol engines but they are both standard injection engines.

I faced the same scenario at the weekend. Needed to make a journey but just less than half a tank. Put £25 of 95ron in and ran ok.
Will refill with super as soon as available.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

thank's for your promp reply's. there's to much to go wrong with e10 in my fsi, as it runs very well, just wondered if any body
had a heads up on the re-availability

An FSI needs 98/99 octane, it will run, albeit a bit less pearky, on 95. The really important consideration now, is the % alcohol in the fuel. 95 is 10%, while 98/99 is no more (probably less) than 5% alcohol (E5). There are parts in the FSI engine that will be damaged by 10% alcohol in 95 octane (E10). An additive will not mitigate the effect of 10% alcohol. I'm quite sure that a few litres of 95 (E10) will not result in damage, which will, I think be cumulative. But don't be under the misapprehension that an additive will turn E10 into E5, it won't
Mac.

Quite right - The additive suggestion was simply to restore the "lost" octane, but as you say - unless there's an additive out there that has been designed to neutralise the corrosive effects of the ethanol content in E10, it's definitely not anything other than an emergency-use to get you through the next week or so.

There are lots of E10 fuel additives on the market now. Like the one I linked in post 5, most indicate they are designed to counteract the 'corrosive' effects on materials in the fuel system susceptible to the increased alcohol levels of the new fuel.

Are you saying this is not the case, and is there any data out there to demonstrate this ?

Cheers Spike

There are lots of E10 fuel additives on the market now. Like the one I linked in post 5, most indicate they are designed to counteract the 'corrosive' effects on materials in the fuel system susceptible to the increased alcohol levels of the new fuel.

Are you saying this is not the case, and is there any data out there to demonstrate this ?

Cheers Spike
Audi has said the FSI is not compatible with E10, but, crucially, have not said which part or parts are affected. Most likely to be in the fuel system, from and including the high pressure pump through to the injectors, but this is pure speculation on my part.
I can't see how an additive can counter the effect of 10% alcohol on unknown "fuel system" components, when the components (and their constituent parts), are unknown. Knowing a bit about the effect of fuels, and fuel additives, on synthetic rubber seals, I doubt that an additive will prevent it. Only the correct choice of materials (PTFE, Nitrile, Neoprene, Viton, Silicone, and lots more) can do that.
Does the additive manufacturer warrant that his additive will not, itself, damage any part of your car? Probably not, how could he?.

I may be wrong of course, but I certainly won't be using one. Only additives I use are those added by a big brand oil co (Shell for me).
Mac.

Back