Out with the old ..........

stevieA2

After buying my A2 as "spares or repair " project back in august this year i have been getting all the niggly bits fixed..

There is a list i will get round to adding in my project page soon .

But for now the wee A2 has new coilovers fitted for its 16th birthday !

Very pleased with the results.... a HUGE improvement on the neglected old rusty components that where removed .......
173648afbdc4638cd1ec615763ab81e2.jpg
b02426457c4d17783375b5922583caf8.jpg
30980e21f82f0701ed61188f939a3ec1.jpg
b76bc5eb0618c61a5031785c33ae29e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Do coilovers offer the very best in ride quality? Better that any single type of shock absorber? What are your standard shock absorbers and are only certain types recommended for use with coilovers?

David

Do coilovers offer the very best in ride quality? Better that any single type of shock absorber? What are your standard shock absorbers and are only certain types recommended for use with coilovers?

David
Depends what your looking for " IF " changing your suspension set up.........

The Prosport coilovers come as a matched set which are only height ajustable ,which suited my needs and bought these secondhand but unused to replace my worn out standard set up at a very good price ......

They are firm compared to the softer set-up of the standard suspension but very good in the twisty B roads .....

Lowering springs are also a good option only if your shock absorbers are in good condition.

As i say , coilovers are'nt for everyone but i luv' em !

those drop links look substantial who makes those?
:)
Prosport.........they come in 3 different lengths in the kit to fine tune your set up....as using coilovers these suited the car better than the 160mm shortened ones that can be used .... mine is using the middle section of the droplinks ..

Last edited:
They are firm compared to the softer set-up of the standard suspension

I never thought that I would see that word, "softer" linked to the A2 suspension! I have driven in many cars and to my mind, there is nothing as firm and as compromised as the A2 regarding ride quality. It is SUCH a pity!

David

I never thought that I would see that word, "softer" linked to the A2 suspension! I have driven in many cars and to my mind, there is nothing as firm and as compromised as the A2 regarding ride quality. It is SUCH a pity!

David

Its not so much soft as more like a coiled spring. I changed it to pro sport as all it seems to do on SE suspension is bounce. Was one of the first things i had to do as it was doing my head in and making me feel ill :)

That's an interesting arrangement on the bottom of the rear coil. Looks like the mechanic has fitted some sort of metal washer to keep the coil seated. Did he mention about having to make any modifications to the rear coil spring seat?

That's an interesting arrangement on the bottom of the rear coil. Looks like the mechanic has fitted some sort of metal washer to keep the coil seated. Did he mention about having to make any modifications to the rear coil spring seat?

I spotted that, certainly does not look like it was part of the kit, would be interested to know the reason why it was done

David
Compared to coilovers it is !

Not sure Steve , but Prosport sent these parts ?

Rear cup washers shown on this pic.....
56a7ccfada0c94315b742d00b9b5fd8b.jpg

OPPS !

wrong picture ....heres the A2 kit .....

These are just to keep the rear cups in place when its jacked up .....as Steve says ..
a0e51ab23956337ce5f566e2ecdfc435.jpg

Ahh that makes sense. This is on my to-do list once i've sorted the clutch/flywheel. Planning to use the JOM blueline kit at a similar price and has good reviews. Can I ask how many hours labour your garage charged? I may save the bleading knuckles and put the car in to have the work done :)

Ahh that makes sense. This is on my to-do list once i've sorted the clutch/flywheel. Planning to use the JOM blueline kit at a similar price and has good reviews. Can I ask how many hours labour your garage charged? I may save the bleading knuckles and put the car in to have the work done :)
Not sure as had other work done at the same time ....

Whilst I accept that this kit may be the bargain of the decade, the old saying does spring to my mind - if something looks too good to be true, it usually is. £225 for a full coilover kit is ludicrously cheap and I've got to question the quality or at least the longevity of them. Internet reviews seem generally positive but I've yet to see any long term feedback, other than the general feedback on cheap coilovers in general, which is that they're terrible, especially on daily drivers.

I do like the idea of a threaded collar for the rear springs to adjust ride height a bit and I may investigate this option as my rears are coming up for renewal.

Back