Ownership costs rising

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
A2 has had some major servicing recently (2 year service, cambelt, tracking, front arms, 4 tyres, 4 wheel refurbished) plus now in the paintshop, so I've just updated my spreadsheet.

Over 13.5 years of ownership it has cost each year on average:

Servicing £400
Repairs £260
Fuel £490 - 5,000 mls/year
Enhancements £100
Tax/Insurance £450 - comp and recovery insurance
Depreciation £620
Total £2,320 pa

I convince myself that owning a car from nearly new and keeping it, is cheaper than a new car every few years, especially as my next car should be electric I feel. EV with long ranges are so expensive. But I can see the A2's repair cost rising in the coming years. It's a 1.4 TDi 75.

The above works out as £0.43 a mile - a car club charges £0.21 a mile plus £5.20 per hour or £0.73 per mile for a 3 hour/30 mile hire, and that is only an alternative if one only needs an occasional use and one lives in a large city (Bath has a car club). A 2.1 mile taxi ride today cost £3 a mile + tip.

I tell myself I need to discount the running costs with the value of the enjoyment of having an A2 :)

Last edited:
I think as any car ages and needs repair, it works out far more viable as a daily driver if you can do the maintenance yourself. Labour rates have gone up and also so have the price of parts with a pre-brexit effect on the economy.

Totally agree with Steve. I would not run mine with paying someone else for routine maintaining liabilities. That said I have access to another car in the event mine needs unforeseen repairs.

Last edited:
Back