Ownership for 50 Years!

G

Guest 4123

Later this month I will have owned my MG TC for 50 years! More photos to follow. Later today I will own two cars with 19" wheels.

RAB

Attachments

• MG Heathfield 2005.jpg
    MG Heathfield 2005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • MG Heathfield 2004.jpg
    MG Heathfield 2004.jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 158
There is something about MG., Mine has been in the family for 46 years. I suspect A2s will have the same following, watch this space.

Wow, that is fabulous. I am just a novice then at only:-
  • 34 years with my Triumph GT6
  • 29 years with My Triumph Spitfire (bought for parts but kept and restored)
  • 25 years with My Suzuki Katana (motorbike)
  • 20+ years with my Audi S2
Unless you add them all up, in which case I would be at 108 years of ownership (not including the A5 and TT), but that would make me 125 years old!

Cheers
Simon

These are some photos of a TC body made by Naylor Bros of Shipley. They closed down in 2016 - after 50 years!

It was at an exhibition at Kew, from memory. I took some notes and photographs.

MG_006.jpgMG_007.jpgMG_008.jpgMG_009.jpgMG_010.jpgMG_011.jpg

I made my own body from planks of ash!

RAB

You had the advantage of having a chassis to work with, but on the down side, probably woodworm as well. :)

Restoration proceeding:

MG_012.jpgMG_013.jpgMG_014.jpgMG_015.jpgMG_016.jpg

The chassis was gritblasted in the garage. Absolutely filthy job. I had to cut out an 18" section of the chassis and weld in new. The body and doors were made from scratch with aluminium cladding.

The XPAG engine is fully metric. Morris Garages bought a factory from the French firm of Hotchkiss, which was established during WW1. MG just carried on using the same tools! All the engine bolts are metric and French metric at that. They all have Whitworth heads. They are still being made - of the 10,000 TCs made, about 6,000 are still around! Hotchkiss are now in Eastbourne, making metal ducting.

RAB

The TC is a CKD model, one of about 100 exported to Ireland in kit form and assembled by Booth Brothers in Dublin. On inspecting one of the original doors, I found what looked like a small bullet hole. Maybe a reason for it returning to England in 1954?

RAB

Some colour photos:

MG_017.jpgMG_019.jpgMG_018.jpgMG_020.jpg

In the third photo, you'll see that the windscreen is missing. On the way down to the Dordogne, the first trip to France after restoration, the windscreen was smashed while driving. I'm not sure what happened but there was a small hole in the screen which shattered - it was safety glass. I had to make a pattern in France and get a replacement. Easy because the screen is flat. For screen rubbers I had to improvise - I bought some cycle inner tubes and cut them into strips. They are still being used.

The last photo is from St Jean de Cole.

RAB

Back