P0106 fault

Bit if a strange one, I carried out an oil, and filters service today on my petrol a2. Ran the car for a few mins after and all was fine

After which I had a go at changing the starter motor, for one I bought off the forum. Unfortunately I was unable to budge the bolts on the starter to had to give up. So put the car undergrad back on, and reconnected the battery.

Then when I started the car again, it started up, and was initially ok, but then after a second or two, the revs dipped and returned to normal, but I had an EML, and EPC lights lit.

Did a quick scan and got P0106 code. Cleared it and it went away.

Left the car for a few hours and then started it again, and the lights were back on.

What could I have knocked or nudged, that needs replaced?

That's not the full DTC, but below may help:

16490/P0106/000262 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
Possible Symptoms

Erratic Idle

Possible Causes

Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
Engine Control Module faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
Check for Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
Check/Replace Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
Check/Replace Engine Controle Module

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff

I am hoping that the part is not faulty, as it clears straight away.

Am I right in thinking that the sensor is located on the main air pipe, basically at the back of the engine, on the drivers side ?

Last edited:
I don't drive the petrol model, so I'm not sure is the honest answer.

Obviously you're not using VCDS, so the DTC you listed may not actually be correct.

I would visually inspect the engine bay around the inlet manifold for a disconnected vacuum pipe.

The attached PDF may help.

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• 1.4 intake.pdf
    80.9 KB · Views: 738
Reactions: Tsu
Had a quick look there, but can't see anything obvious wrong.

Think I found the sensor

Awkward enough to get at.

Also noticed that a previous owner has done a running repair to another pipe (not sure what it is)

Attachments

• 2014-01-28 19.31.02.jpg
    2014-01-28 19.31.02.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 3,264
had this problem recently with mine,
pull out the MAP sensor and spray with electrical / air flow cleaner (not carb cleaner).
Then check the repaired pipe but also the crank case breather pipe, its further back in the picture, the soft rubber pipe can rub on the metal brake pipe, and check the same pipe at the back of the inlet manifold as it rubs it too and may have a hole in it.

Hope you fix it

Thanks very much for that!

I have only owned the car for just over a week, and so far it seems like one problem after another!

Back