paint or lacquer damage to roof gutter

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
The previous time I clayed the A2 was about 2 years ago. I noticed then that there was pitting on the paint or lacquer on the roof gutter strips (I think that is the right term). Now I've clayed again this week and it's worst.

Both sides are affected, but offside is worst, and it on the leading edge (the curve before the roof levels out). I've had the car 7.5 years of its 8.25 year life and I've never machine washed it - just hose with a soft brush at the end.

Difficult to photograph but some snaps below. Do you think this is the lacquer? If so I could try removing it with wet and dry and respray but always a risk of removing the paint.

I vaguely recall there might be a 10 year paint guarantee on Audis but I'll bet there is a fair wear and tear exclusion. A2 has done 62k miles

Attachments

• A2 gutter marks nearside s.jpg
    A2 gutter marks nearside s.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 281
  • A2 gutter marks offside s.jpg
    A2 gutter marks offside s.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 280
The near side gutter on Ada is exactly the same Alan - it appears to have happened very quickly this summer. Seems to be an issue with the lacquer reacting with the plastic strip. ( car is 2004 and 72k) Didnt think to talk to the dealer about this, but may do when I see if I can get the couple of bubbles that are appearing on the drivers door due to ally oxidisation. Let us know what they say if you have it looked at.

This paint will be covered they wont cover like stone chips but that on the roof should iam sure this was on watch dog ages ago about audi paint cover .Just fight your corner

Just to add to this just last week i discovered the lacquer on one of my wing mirrors is peeling 52' plate so doubt it will be covered do you think it could be rubbed off slightly and hand sprayed or should i bother speaking to dealer?

Just annoying me !

Thanks

Mo

My understanding is we have a 3 year paint defect warranty and a 12 year corrosion warranty for 'inside - out' defects not the result of external factors like stonechips/accident damage/neglect and the like. I've had successful claims for defects in the past - but not for disintegrating lacquer which this appears to be. Dont ask dont get though - you never know - it may be argued that theres a problem with the plastic strip so it could be accepted.

Thanks guys. I'm waiting for a quote from the local VW Audi dealer re my little prang. If I decided to go with them I might try to leverage fixing this at the same time FOC as the incremental cost should be low (the dealer would still need to convince Audi to pay but if the cost was low they might not argue not to).

I didn't realise the strip was plastic, so as the adjacent roof is OK then it must be an issue with the plastic. Maybe it flexes and cracks the lacquer but then the whole strip should be effective, not the front.

Back