Pairing additional ecus?

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Timmus managed to pull down a ultra new firmware for me for my 90 to help hopefully fix the dreaded intake motor throttle eml light.

It's looking very good right now so fingers crossed for extended testing.

It has presented me with a dilemma just trying to get solid facts together to think out a solution.

So I have a earlier firmware ecu with immo off that I'd love to use for long trips on occasion as it's got a moderate remap on it. It generates the spurious eml issues but would refit newer firmware ecu for day to day. Given ideally I'm not 100% happy with immobiliser being turned off I'm trying to explore whether BOTH ecus can be paired to the car at the same time, and if so any complications that presents.

I realise the keys get paired with the instrument cluster it's just whether the system will allow 2 paired ecus, and maybe if I need a separate key to be paired to make that work?

In the end I'll cope with immo off but wanted to ensure I had all the facts to hand.

Incidentally I'm not intending to put both in at the same time...just in case anyone asks :)

Last edited:
Timmus managed to pull down a ultra new firmware for me for my 90 to help hopefully fix the dreaded intake motor throttle eml light.

It's looking very good right now so fingers crossed for extended testing.

It has presented me with a dilemma just trying to get solid facts together to think out a solution.

So I have a earlier firmware ecu with immo off that I'd love to use for long trips on occasion as it's got a moderate remap on it. It generates the spurious eml issues but would refit newer firmware ecu for day to day. Given ideally I'm not 100% happy with immobiliser being turned off I'm trying to explore whether BOTH ecus can be paired to the car at the same time, and if so any complications that presents.

I realise the keys get paired with the instrument cluster it's just whether the system will allow 2 paired ecus, and maybe if I need a separate key to be paired to make that work?

In the end I'll cope with immo off but wanted to ensure I had all the facts to hand.

Incidentally I'm not intending to put both in at the same time...just in case anyone asks :)

Hi,

the pairing works because the ECU and cluster both have the correct information.
If you have two ECUs which contain identical pairing information, then either should work with the cluster.
I have this with my A6 as I have a spare ECU with a different map and the config flash memory was cloned from the original so both are interchangeable with all Immobiliser functions correct etc. The hard part was doing the clone. As this is an earlier generation ECU it required direct access to the flash chip on the board but it does work!

regards

Andrew

The ECU pairing procedure depends on the Immobiliser GEN of your car:

The GEN is included in the original tag attached to keys. My 2001 A2 is GEN2. I recently paired an ECU to my wife's Lupo 3L (Gen2); it took 5 minutes.

RAB

Back