Panel colour change

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
As I understand it the A2 body panels and door skins are not structural and so can be removed.

Has anyone ever tried to colour change their car by replacing all the removable panels with donor sets?

How much could you change?

Just for fun - not considering it really!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice idea, but not quite. Yes, the strength is in the floor pan and the space frame skeleton and that includes the curved arch from the A pillar to the C pillar which is visible, and the B pillar, visible when the doors are open. To this space frame the rear sides and the roof are welded on. See a video here on the A2 production line - all done by robots:

Then comes the bolt on / clipped plastic bits: front and rear bumpers, side skirts, front wings with wheel arches, rear wheel arches, rain gutter strips. Then the bolt on metal bits: doors, bonnet and tailgate.

There was another make of car that was able to change colour, the Smart but looking at the photos on this page
surreysmartcentre.co.uk/know-smarts-panels-can-changed/ looks like the roof and A-B-C pillars are excluded.

My other car (now my wife’s) is a Smart. it’s not quite pop on pop off but doable. The ‘cage’ remained the same. I wondered if the Audi was similar - some crazy colour combinations would be possible with only donor panels.

Someone fancy trying it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have visions of the Polo Harlequin...

Harlequin-VW-Polo-34.jpg

Back