Passenger Airbag De-activation

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carling

Hi,

My wife is due to drop a sprog in 12 days.....(great timing huh!?)

I went to my local Audi dealer today (Cardiff Audi) to get the passenger airbag de-activated so we can plonk the rear facing baby seat in the front.

My A2 does not have the "switch" in the glovey, and the dealer rang Audi UK technical who state that it cannot be done on this model....They did say that for some Audi's - A4, A6 etc, that there was an additional part they could install to the wiring loom that incorporates a switch to activate/de-activate the passenger airbag, but diddly squat for the A2!....this sucks. [2]

I find it hard to beleive really - a lot of the fitments in my A2 are exactly the same as in my previous VW Golf - indicator stalks, computer functions, door handles etc., so I find this little problem hard to beleive - a lot of things are very similar, if not identical, right across the VW/Audi range - We've had VW/Audi's in the family for more than 30 years and this has always been the case.

Has anyone encountered such problems?

Regards,

Paul

2003 Tdi Sport. Silver, ECC, Chorus II

Hi and welcome to the forum...

We've got a keyswitch so I can't comment from my own experience but my initial reaction to your post is "What the...?" I don't recall anyone else having issues with getting the dealer to switch the airbag off. But then again, I can't imagine them turning down chargeable work either.

Perhaps a call to a different dealer is in order?

Oh, and good luck for your new arrival...
[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box | Satellite Cloth
Electric Rear Windows | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Carling,

It can be done, but....

The solution with the key can only be factory installed can cannt be done afterwards.
Disconnecting the airbag and tweaking the computer is something that can be done afterwards. I think that it will cost about 100 Euro's overhere. It means that the passenger airbag is disabled and I think you will have to sign a releaseform for it. You'll have to visit the dealer again to enable it (and probably pay again).

But the car is built with the airbags in mind. The form and construction of the car is built to prevent damage with the airbag. Disabling it can seriously reduce the protection you can expect in the car. Maybe your car is equipped with side and head airbags (mine is), that will also pose a risk to your child riding in front.

Why not position the kid in the back on the re***at ? The protection of the car is far better there then in the front.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Hello! - Yep it can be done.

I bought an A2 as a 'family' car to replace a Mini Cooper a couple of months ago and we had our little daughter Aimee just yesterday the 19th of Dec. The used (it was 9 months old) A2 we bought didn't have the key thing either. This key cannot be retro fitted apparently but the Audi Dealer disconnected it free of charge. They didn't want to at first but I said a different dealer had offered to do it on another car - thay said "take it to them then", when I went back to that dealer though they wanted to charge £80 for it so I went back to the dealer I was buying the car from and they did it for free. You need to sign a disclaimer which goes back to Audi UK and also they have to put a little sticker on the dash which states that the Airbag is disabled - it is an offical Audi document and sticker so your dealer is just being lazy - give them a kick and get it done. The 1st car seat fits a treat in the A2.

Good luck with your new arrival.

Graham

Hello all, I am starting to think about a new run-about to replace our ageing Micra. The A2 appeals, but my four year old likes being in the front with me or the wife (no passenger airbag).

I think I understand from this discussion and reading elsewhere, that there is a factory-fitted key-operated deactivation switch (part of the ISOFIX child seat fixings pack, I think?) which can be used at will to turn it on and off? And failing that, the other option is to talk nicely to the dealer, sign a form, get a sticker, and have it turned off completely, and then be required to go back there to have it turned on?

cheers

Hi Andy,

quote:Originally posted by andyholtmacc

I think I understand from this discussion and reading elsewhere, that there is a factory-fitted key-operated deactivation switch (part of the ISOFIX child seat fixings pack, I think?) which can be used at will to turn it on and off?

That's correct, the keyswitch http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk29.htm comes with the ISOFIX preparation for the passenger seat. I can't remember, but I think from a previous thread we decided that the ISOFIX fittings are standard for the rear seats.

Regards,

m.

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box | Satellite Cloth
Electric Rear Windows | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back