Personal best MPG by a country mile!

johnmed

A2OC Donor
B507511A-3269-431A-B623-7D5F190D4DA8-235-00000041AFE71976_zps5588e385.jpg

Filled up before driving from Warrington to South London, straight across Central London in my best hypermiling fashion.

Before getting to London my mpg was showing 80+, and while DIS indicated 77, Fuelly shows a still mighty impressive 74.

Today's return journey at a less sedate 70+ mph has DIS showing a still impressive 67 mpg.

Hi John,

I hope your right leg survived the journey without cruise. What sort of speed were you doing on your way to London to get an indicated 80mpg?

Cheers,

Tom

Nice one.

On long journeys, the prevailing wind direction can be a big factor when comparing the outbound leg to the return leg. But dropping your speed to 60 rather than 70 would have been worth a bit.

Wow. I get impressed if the DIS show over 20.... :rolleyes:

More interestingly (to me anyway), what is the typical max range you see from the 3 different A2 engines?.... My 90+ litres sees me to about 300 miles. Given that a return journey to London is 400 miles + thats a real pain (and expensive obviously!)

To complicate matters, the A2 was made with two different fuel tanks. Until ~2003, all A2s were fitted with a 34-litre tank. This was changed to a 42-litre tank.

My 2002 TDI therefore has the smaller tank, and I generally get between 420 and 540 miles for each 32-litre fill-up, depending on how the car is used. That equates to roughly 60 to 80mpg. If I had the larger tank, I'd be looking at roughly 720 miles of extra-urban driving.

At the other end of the spectrum, a 1.4 petrol with the smaller tank will have a maximum range of roughly 360 miles of extra-urban driving.

Obviously there are 101 other factors to consider, such as wheel/tyre choice, cruising speed, etc, but this should give you a vague idea.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom, very detailed interesting stuff.... My quest to find my perfect A2 gets new variables daily :cool:

Didn't the 3L have an even smaller tank, or did I imagine that?
Of course the 3L was never made in RHD or imported officially by Audi to the UK, but there are a couple of examples around. 100MPG AVERAGE is possible with that little miracle of engineering.

To complicate matters, the A2 was made with two different fuel tanks. Until ~2003, all A2s were fitted with a 34-litre tank. This was changed to a 42-litre tank.

My 2002 TDI therefore has the smaller tank, and I generally get between 420 and 540 miles for each 32-litre fill-up, depending on how the car is used. That equates to roughly 60 to 80mpg. If I had the larger tank, I'd be looking at roughly 720 miles of extra-urban driving.

At the other end of the spectrum, a 1.4 petrol with the smaller tank will have a maximum range of roughly 360 miles of extra-urban driving.

Obviously there are 101 other factors to consider, such as wheel/tyre choice, cruising speed, etc, but this should give you a vague idea.

Cheers,

Tom

Didn't the 3L have an even smaller tank, or did I imagine that?
Of course the 3L was never made in RHD or imported officially by Audi to the UK, but there are a couple of examples around. 100MPG AVERAGE is possible with that little miracle of engineering.

3L could come with 21l tank apparently according to wikipedia, or 34l for long range... I had wondered what the reference in the handbook was to the non-uk-existent auto box.....

That's the one - the 3L is the only auto-A2 (although I think it's technically a robotised manual).
The 6-speed box mentioned above isn't a standard fitment by the way, just a very nice mod :)

3L could come with 21l tank apparently according to wikipedia, or 34l for long range... I had wondered what the reference in the handbook was to the non-uk-existent auto box.....

The 6-speed box mentioned above isn't a standard fitment by the way, just a very nice mod :)

I guessed as much, and I like oem-looking worthwhile mods, but was trying to avoid taking the 'Personal Best MPG' thread too far off topic ;)

Hi John,

I hope your right leg survived the journey without cruise. What sort of speed were you doing on your way to London to get an indicated 80mpg?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom. I was ok without cruise TBH. The traffic was busy, and wouldn't really have allowed much use of it.

I started out at 60, dropping down to 55 and then drove in tandum with a Prius, that was doing 50. Out of interest I stuck at 50 for a while and DIS started showing a journey average of 70+ mpg. The Prius driver then dipped below 50 on hills so I left him behind and stuck at 55 ish, to achieve this:

365CB6CC-C3FA-4565-8B10-4157D84655D2-195-0000000EBFB19D56_zps6db28462.jpg

The journey from mine with my son and luggage to South London cost me £17.97.

7666CC4D-5D48-4CBC-9EFA-B0FDC50C1E3D-195-00000010B1811C2A_zps6dbd369a.jpg

That included MANY stops for 'wees' thanks to my 2 year old.

The A2 is a cracking little motor.

Nice one.

On long journeys, the prevailing wind direction can be a big factor when comparing the outbound leg to the return leg. But dropping your speed to 60 rather than 70 would have been worth a bit.

Yeah I just wanted to get me and the boy home at a reasonable time and to see what MPG the car would return from normal driving. Mid 60 MPG is fine by me, when I didn't drop below 70 apart from during the many roadwork speed restrictions.

Not sure I could stick under 60mph for many more journeys. I guess the 5th gear mod/6th gear addition could help in that respect a tad.

Ive just done 250m in the Lupo 3L today, didn't pay any attention to eco driving at all kept up or passing traffic, plus it was very windy coming home, my worst ever mpg so far 67mpg

I typically get 350 miles out of my FSI, which (like all FSIs, I think) has the 42 litre tank. But even if I drive 50 miles more after the fuel warning klaxon sounds, I can never get more than 37 litres into the tank. The klaxon sounds too early, I reckon. Perhaps if I drove round with a tin of fuel in the boot, I could get more miles out of a tank!

The Defcon 1 alarm goes off with about 1 gallon left in the tank pretty much.

Still too early if you're averaging 60 or 70 odd MPG isn't it. Could be days before you need to refuel, depending on how far and often you drive.

I find myself filling up to avoid the noise, before it's thought about sounding.

Bit odd :)

Back