Petrol 1.4SE - progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harps

I was visiting friends in Birmingham - a 150 mile drive from my home - and at the last moment decided to take the A2 instead of my Volvo - my usual preferred choice on long journeys. I have to say, half way around the M25 (the Essex and Herts section), I regretted not taking the Volvo - the A2 felt terrible on a rough road surface - noisy and unrefined and jumping from pothole to cats eye to ramp where there had been resurfacing. But then I got on the M1 and the road surface became better and the car became very smooth - the noise decreased and did not seem to lack power.

However, to my great surprise, on the return journey, the car remained effortlessly smooth throughout. I suppose as I had not really done any motorway miles on my A2, maybe the engine had become tight and more used to trips to Sainsburys (some confession I know in these heady Tesco times). Either way, it feels like I have been driving a different car since early yesterday morning.

As I mentioned on my other post, I saw 2 A2s in a day - some sort of record surely - a cobalt blue one on the southbound M1 yesterday and then to my sheer astonishment, an X-reg azure blue one parked several doors away from my friends in Brum.

On the whole, I think I still marginally prefer the Volvo on the motorway - but its surprisingly close. And I got 300+ miles out of a full tank (all £21 worth) from my 1.4SE petrol - with widely varying speeds and some fairly heavy city traffic. Is this par for the course for other petrol A2s?

Harps

Glad to hear your A2 has loosened up. I have found mine very good on the motorway.

Do not feel ashamed about your Sainsbury trips - you may not get Green Shield stamps but they do an excellent range of ready meals that are both tasty and offer very good value for money.

The clientele are not dressed in shell suits either!

Jon

Are the Tesco's clientele dressed in blue and white striped designer shell suits then? Or is this only in the NW of the country.

I reckon the A2 is quite a reasonable motorway car - it's fairly quiet, and keeps up steam OK. Still be better with a 1.9TDi under the service hatch :D

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back