Petrol DIS Instrument Cluster reading fuel in reverse

jagrs

Hi All,
Last week I swapped my non DIS instrument cluster (8Z0920950N) to a DIS cluster (8Z0920980K) but now my fuel gauge works in reverse.
I now know that Audi changed the resistance sometime in 2002 so need the right fuel pump sender, my car is a late 2002 '52 and believe the cluster is from a late 2001.
My fuel pump sender is 8Z0919051C (228233001011) can anyone advise the correct sender I need to sort my A2 out?
Thanks

Some background info in this old thread - https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...ump-in-tank-had-been-fitted.36424/post-318750

The grey area is that a '2001' instrument cluster and compatible fuel sender are calibrated for a 34L fuel tank

Introduction of the 42L fuel tank in mid 2002 seems to have been combined with a reverse logic cluster and matching fuel sender.
Fitting an early model sender may get the cluster to show the fuel levels correctly but the calibration could be way out. This may not be a big problem if the 'empty' reading is fairly accurate

Hopefully someone who has got the T-shirt will be along to explain if the sender swap is viable

Cheers Spike

Exactly this, Spike. Furthermore, if the cluster believes that the tank is of the wrong volume, then the fuel range calculation on the DIS is meaningless. Just swapping to the different fuel level sensor doesn’t provide a complete solution.

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers for the replies. I have managed to locate a cluster I believe is from a later A2 (8Z0920980R) so hopefully will rectify the problem.
Keep your fingers crossed for me

Back