Pinch bolts

Hi looking for some help. I am just changing over to coilovers but struggling with the pinch bolt on the front. I have done the rears as they were easy but can't seen to get the pinch bolt off the front I have wd40 all the bolts and took the drop link off, took the nut off the pinch bolt but then it wont move. Does it tap out with a hammer or is it threaded through. Any advice on getting them out.

Thanks Graham

I think some people have mentioned heat and possibly a bit of lump-hammering, but as I am a non-expert please don't take my thoughts as suggestions. It's not threaded all the way through - I've bought new ones of these for each suspension refurb and aren't they stretch bolts that need to be replaced anyway? They're not expensive, you need both the nut and the bolt. For instance -

Some suggestions, to be attempted not necessarily in the order of writing:

1. Tighten first then try and loosen.
2. Propane torch the nut.
3. Cut the nut with an angle grinder.
4. Hammer out the back of the bolt with a suitably-sized rod. Try both sides of the bolt successively, i.e., to force it in and out in order to loosen the rust particles out. This had done it on mine.

Evros

When i did this job i turned the bolt anticlockwise whilst tapping it out with a rod and block (as in 4 above but turning at the same time), it slowly shimmied out quite easily. As mentioned above once the nut is off it's not threaded in, so i think the turning helped it move through rust and grime.

An SDS drill in hammer mode works really well for loosening corroded bolts.
I used this method on a friends 50 year old motorbike swing arm spindle where the high frequency vibration quickly broke down the corrosion 'bond' and allowed the spindle to be tapped out.
Bought a cheap SDS chisel from Screwfix and cut it down to use as the drift. A small piece of tube over the end of the spindle kept the drift from wandering and off you go.
The idea came from this youtube video -

Cheers Spike

Brilliant spy @spike i guess the good old impact driver is a good shout first & then onto something like this bad boy is the way to go...
Thanks for sharing
N8P

Partshaus has some haven't cross checked 7ZAP for length of thread and diameter:)
7ZAP
Screenshot_20240326_115945_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Number 19
Screenshot_20240326_120013_DuckDuckGo.jpg
N10207803

The part number above in eBay comes up with various sellers. Watch out for some non VAG bolts though.

:)

Last edited:
Back