Plastic sill replacement

J

jp.oog

Due to a scrape on the lower part of my passenger side sill it needs replacing. I have searched and found a thread which refers to another post but when I try and access it I'm blocked from accessing it. Is there a "How to..."? Or is it not that complicated ?
Also sill or cill?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to do this today. My project car (CC2) has a damaged lower cill at the front from some idiot using the cill to jack the car up!
The bad news is that though the cill is easily removed the bits of upper trim that cover the access screws look to be click and forget. I tried to remove these upper bits (covered by the door in normal use) from YorkshireHills car, and the clips snapped straight away. If anyone has a method for getting the upper bits of trim off intact then I am all ears!

I tried to do this today. My project car (CC2) has a damaged lower cill at the front from some idiot using the cill to jack the car up!
The bad news is that though the cill is easily removed the bits of upper trim that cover the access screws look to be click and forget. I tried to remove these upper bits (covered by the door in normal use) from YorkshireHills car, and the clips snapped straight away. If anyone has a method for getting the upper bits of trim off intact then I am all ears!

Yes, that happened to me too, I think it can't be avoided

By the way, don't buy secondhand ones for silly prices. I have seen our "friend" in Cambridgeshire selling them for £85.
I bought mine new from Audi for just over £40 each !!!!
Perhaps Hillary has some (If they come off without breaking)

Steve B

I've done this! 3 times on 2 cars, and I agree, it's a pain. :(

As chb says, it's very difficult to remove the upper piece of trim under the doors without breaking the clips. Basically to do it, I start at the rear by pushing a thin screwdriver between the sill and the upper cover and you should hear a click when you find the right point. There are a series of clips all the way along, every 3-4 inches or so. I unclip the lower clips of the upper cover all the way along, such that the upper cover can pivot on its top clips, if you see what I mean? I then use a T25 Torx bit on an extension bar to thread between the sill and upper cover and undo all of the Torx screws. The rear end cap is then removed by undoing a Torx screw under the upper cover, 3 inside the wheel arch, and one underneath the car. The rear wheel needs to be off for this. The end cap pulls out towards the rear of the car. Next, you need to remove the front wheel and undo the 3 Torx screws that attach inside the wheel arch. There is Torx screw on the front door jamb which also must be removed, it's near to the upper cover. Then, all of the Torx screws underneath can be undone, they screw into the floor via plastic retaining nuts. The sill should then be able to be lifted away from the car. Now, the upper cover can be separated easily without damage, and the screws retrieved.

Refitting is the same process, reversed. Just only press the upper cover into place on your are happy all of the screws are in place. Make sure not to tighten them too much, as many thread into plastic and the thread could be destroyed easily. It's the type of job where if you estimate 2 hours to do it, double it, at least. :p

I've removed the 6 sections of upper cover over the 2 cars, and only ever had to replace one. I have broken clips of course, but the ones that have broken have not been at the ends, and so do not affect the security of the cover as such. It's certainly possible to do it without breaking clips.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Matt.

I have some plastic trim tools that I used recently on another car. Hopefully these will help the process.

Many thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to take both wheels off on the side you're changing at some point.

I chose the do it by taking the rear off for the end cap, putting it back on, taking the front off for the screws at the front, replacing the trim, putting the wheel on and then removing the rear again. There's enough space under the car to fit a Torx bit and screwdriver, so the wheel only needs to be lifted enough such that it can be removed.

Regards,

Matt.

i have tried this job today. Although the piece at the bottom of the rear arch did unclip the remaining clips are too stubborn to shift without damaging the top cover itself. Are the top covers still available from Audi?
Maybe better to replace them at the same time.

i have tried this job today. Although the piece at the bottom of the rear arch did unclip the remaining clips are too stubborn to shift without damaging the top cover itself. Are the top covers still available from Audi?
Maybe better to replace them at the same time.

I know what you mean, the clips for the top cover are very brittle.

They are still available from Audi, yes. I bought the longer one a couple of months ago, and it was around the £13 mark if I recall correctly.

Regards,

Matt.

Have ordered both pieces today. Didn't get to the clip breaking stage. Because the cover is softer than the cill it is damaging a part i had hoped to re use

How much were both bits? Did you get from local dealer or Stoke? ....might replace my lower cill on CC2 from Hilarys if the upper trim parts are not crazy expensive.

Already had the lower cill (the part with the front wheel arch attached). Both parts of the upper cill came to £20 from Stoke Audi Parts

Reactions: chb
Thats actually a lot less than I expected. Think I will change my cill after all now (the lower plastic point is split where a previous owner jacked onto the plastic)

Finally got round to do this job today between rain and hail. Glad i had two new upper parts to fit.
I do recommend not over tightening the cill member screws as it does make the top cover harder to fit.
Not too difficult a job. Would recommend laying a towel or carpet piece on the floor when offering up the cill member just incase it drops before fitting the first screws.

Another sill trim replaced! :)

1.JPG2.JPG

Back