Playing with VCDS lite.... Where to start with diagnosis

Bumblebee

Managed to get is connected.
Fault codes-02:came up on it and this using readiness -15 option
IMG_20200813_191957__01.jpg
IMG_20200813_191324__01.jpg

Last edited:
Not going to give you any sage like advice aside from a wee suggestion just to blank out your VIN number on the above. Yes its an old car but you never know....

So you have P0300 and P0302
From memory the 300 code is multiple mis fires detected and the 302 is misfire on cylinder 2
You can check these on the rostech wiki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely a coil pack Try changing cyclinder 2 cool pack for another cylinder I.e. swap the coil packs. Clear the fault codes and see if they come back as 300 and 304 (assuming you swapped 2&4)

Paul

If the coil packs are original (check date codes), best change them all. Check the plugs too. Any doubt, replace them too. I used Bosch coil packs and NGK plugs on my FSI.
Nearly 12 months on, all's good.
Mac.

Likely a coil pack Try changing cyclinder 2 cool pack for another cylinder I.e. swap the coil packs. Clear the fault codes and see if they come back as 300 and 304 (assuming you swapped 2&4)

Paul

I have moved all coil packs around.... All New plugs
..... New coil HT plug and wiring to cyl 2 and still no2 misfires....??

If the coil packs are original (check date codes), best change them all. Check the plugs too. Any doubt, replace them too. I used Bosch coil packs and NGK plugs on my FSI.
Nearly 12 months on, all's good.
Mac.
All new plugs and moved coil packs around.... ??‍♂️
Doesn't mean coil packs aren't old though. ????

All new plugs and moved coil packs around.... ??‍♂️
Doesn't mean coil packs aren't old though. ????
Check date code. If original, replace them.
Coil packs, VAG in particular, of late 90s/early 00s are well past there best, which wasn't very good to start with!
Mac.
Mac.

Just below the part number etc. Week number, year etc. The suffix of the part number is a good indication too. Early versions will be A, or B I think
Mac.
Thanks again Mac...... Doing a quick search I didn't realise that these fancy plug caps were so pricey o_O for what they are....
Euro car parts often run offers so I might get when they have a 40%, 50%, 60% weekend coming up :cool:?

YOU are running the car on the correct super 98+ fuel I take it? Previous owner may not have. Carbon is a killer in the FSI. You could run fuel system cleaner through it to help remove some of the carbon. Changing spark plugs also can help. The FSI does require a little extra care from its owner, but unfortunately either lack of knowledge or doing it on the cheap ends up costing far more to get the car just right. Years of this "neglect" is not easy or cheap to sort. I have even tried to tell someone who was filling up at the supermarket petrol station they were using the wrong fuel - standard unleaded. There response was "f... off its a petrol" so I left them to it.

Not sure but the second one does quote BAD engine code. Bosch is a better make generally.
Have you looked at this site?

Do a search on here to see what others recommend for coil packs.
Thank you. I did stumble on that site after putting the post up.... Good old Google :)

YOU are running the car on the correct super 98+ fuel I take it? Previous owner may not have. Carbon is a killer in the FSI. You could run fuel system cleaner through it to help remove some of the carbon. Changing spark plugs also can help. The FSI does require a little extra care from its owner, but unfortunately either lack of knowledge or doing it on the cheap ends up costing far more to get the car just right. Years of this "neglect" is not easy or cheap to sort. I have even tried to tell someone who was filling up at the supermarket petrol station they were using the wrong fuel - standard unleaded. There response was "f... off its a petrol" so I left them to it.
Yes I am. Nearest is Tesco Momentum 98+... I have also put redex fuel treatment in as well. When I got her the plugs were very sooty, so cleaned and after only a few trips three of the four were noticeably cleaner, except cylinder two which has the misfire.
PO did tell me it was almost nearly ran on regular unleaded, but was serviced regularly. Before she decided to let it go an auto-electrician had a look and diagnosed no2 injector? which it could still be, if the fuel and redex cant clean it up! I have moved the coils around and put brand new plugs in and after a few more vigorous accelerations the EML starts blinking...... at about 3,500 revs. I am told that 4,000 revs the high pressure pump can throw up a misfire, albeit I thought that may be on all cylinders. But if you add in carbon and a fouled injector a loss in pressure may just hurt one cylinder most if its the dirtiest??
I will use the VCDS now I have it and check the injectors to see if cyl 2 has a noticeably different reading......

Its all part of the learning and knowledge curve so thank you for the assistance.

As regards to forecourt.... You can only advise people......

? :cool: ;) ?

You may also want to consider a more thorough and powerful cleaner if you are sure it has had so much normal fuel. Something like a Terraclean or equivalent. Not the cheapest but do claim improvements.

Again read this..

I fitted Bosch to my FSI,soon after buying it. It had two recent Bosch already, so I replaced the other two. It had no errors, but was a bit hesitant when pulling away. It is fine now. It's low miles, just over 50,000.
The coil packs are a bit more than a plug cap though. They contain an individual ignition coil for each plug. The loom supplies 12 volts, which the coil pack ups to 29,000 or so! All this in a very small package is challenging, so cheap versions are unlikely to be much good. Go for Bosch, at the best price. Be wary of some ebay items, as they may not be genuine Bosch, if they are very cheap, then they are cheap (and probably nasty).
As others say, 98/99 octane fuel, with detergents, Shell V Power is my choice.
The manifold get clogged with crap via the EGR and PCV. This can't be cleaned any way other than by removal, as no fuel goes through it. TerraClean doesn't work on the manifold either, as it's just a high detergent fuel. Good for injectors though.
Good quality petrol and fully synthetic oil is the only way to minimise manifold fouling.
Mac.

I fitted Bosch to my FSI,soon after buying it. It had two recent Bosch already, so I replaced the other two. It had no errors, but was a bit hesitant when pulling away. It is fine now. It's low miles, just over 50,000.
The coil packs are a bit more than a plug cap though. They contain an individual ignition coil for each plug. The loom supplies 12 volts, which the coil pack ups to 29,000 or so! All this in a very small package is challenging, so cheap versions are unlikely to be much good. Go for Bosch, at the best price. Be wary of some ebay items, as they may not be genuine Bosch, if they are very cheap, then they are cheap (and probably nasty).
As others say, 98/99 octane fuel, with detergents, Shell V Power is my choice.
The manifold get clogged with crap via the EGR and PCV. This can't be cleaned any way other than by removal, as no fuel goes through it. TerraClean doesn't work on the manifold either, as it's just a high detergent fuel. Good for injectors though.
Good quality petrol and fully synthetic oil is the only way to minimise manifold fouling.
Mac.
Great advice Mac. Thank you...... I'm doing an oil change as well to synthetic :cool:
Will look at the EGR and PCV too once I find out where they are. I think from other threads PCV is on back of block near firewall/ bulkhead?

Back