Posh Tank!

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, Tank is now all shiney and spic and span, but I can't help thinking I've peaked too soon, it's 10 days to the Scottish Social!

The process was as follows:

Cold jetwash to remove all large debris/dirt followed by a lukewarm shampoo with Halfords Advanced Car Wash and a towelling wah mit (1 bucket).

Then, use Bilt Hamber standard clay and water spray to clay the entire car (all glass too) until the paint is smooth.

Next, rinse and remove any clay residue and commence paint correction/glazing using Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze and a finishing pad, keeping the area wet to avoid burning the paint. This step takes a while, stepping up the speed of the rotary polisher to achieve a really deep gloss.

Once this is done, re-rinse and dry with a microfibre cloth to remove any polish spots (as I was working with it wet, they went everywhere). Then proceed to cover the entire paintwork in Collinite 476 wax, using a little wax melted between the palms of both hands and then applied using skin only - no pads. This means that little is wasted (I am a Yorkshireman and at £19 a tin, this is important!) and you can also work the wax into all the little nooks and crannies.

Once you've gone around the car, the starting point will be ready to buff out, so work around again with a clean microfibre cloth and be amazed at the depth of the paint.

Then, it was a combination of Autoglym Bumper care for all the satin plastics around the bottom and Autoglym Fast Glass for the , er, glass.

Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl was used extensively inside along with Meguiars Leather cleaner for the seats and jobs a good 'un!

Photos to follow, when I get the time.

What saddens me though now are the number of tiny stone chips at the front - you just don't notice them in normal cleaning, but when you start to get really fussy, they stand out like a sore thumb! This and a few white paint scratches (small ones) are the flies in the soup now.

The wonderful thing to make up for this though is the colour of the paint in sunlight: the official colour is Ebony Black Pearlescent, but in sunlight and when you look close, it's a dazzling array of blues, reds, metal flakes and of course black - really beautiful up close - pity there's no macro function on my camera!

Cheers,

Mike

The thing is now Mike it will only take a quick wash before you go and it will be good as new

Cheers Phil

PS Mike Don't forget the trick i told you about those chips (dot them in with a coctail stick you don't need to remove wax unless you want to flat and polish them(but that takes a long time unless you got time to stand with heat gun) ) but they will go off as is

Last edited:
Is there a clearcoat on the pearlescent colours Phil, or is it just colour? If no clearcoat, I may fill and level the chips myself later in the year, I think my skills are up to it now.

There are a few marks on the satin plastic at the base of the bumper too, but these are going to be a nightmare to do.

Cheers,

Mike

I too have plenty of minor chips, (even with only just over 20K on the clock). I have touched mine up with a small modelling brush and to be honest, even OCD me can live with the touch up effect. The black trim is not so easy to repair granted.

Darren

Is there a clearcoat on the pearlescent colours Phil, or is it just colour? If no clearcoat, I may fill and level the chips myself later in the year, I think my skills are up to it now.

There are a few marks on the satin plastic at the base of the bumper too, but these are going to be a nightmare to do.

Cheers,

Mike

The colour pens/pots what ever they come in from halfords should be fine, give them a good shake but take the paint off the brush with the cocktail stick and apply it that way, you can flat them as you would doing anything else.
Yes yours has got a clear coat but doing the chips makes no difference scuff the chip add the colour allow to dry (forced or sun light ) then flat and polish the smaller the touch in the easier it is

Cheers Phil

Good advice from the paint guru there!

You can cast your eye over the damage when I'm doing your key if you would - not that I'll be doing anything before the onset of summer and the shorter nights.

Cheers,

Mike

The colour pens/pots what ever they come in from halfords should be fine, give them a good shake but take the paint off the brush with the cocktail stick and apply it that way, you can flat them as you would doing anything else.

I know I've recommended them before on here Phil, but I really rate the touch up kits from Halfords. I dont ever use the brush - its not precise enough - the metal nib on these is really good for applying an exact blob of paint into the chips. Mike - I'll bring this along to the cruise next Saturday and you can try it out.:D

PS - anyone with a Brilliant Black A2 - I have a touch up kit you can have free, no longer required after the demise of my A3 last year!

Perhaps...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A2-genuin...742.m153.l1262

... or maybe not?!

Definitely not in the form that Audi are selling it, the product is good, but the quality of the templates are awfull and dont fit, I purchased this from Audi, one look at the quality and it went straight back with a full refund. Even the parts manager was not impressed. It would appear that Audi sub contract this to some company who use it on their Audi race machines.
I eventaully made up my own templates and used the 3M clear product and has been on the car now for 2 years and stopped a hole load of abuse from stones and flys. Even though it has been on for that length of time it can be removed without affecting the paint work as londgas it is warmed up with water or hair dryer.

Colin

Mike

re. "most of the bad chips are further up the bonnet where the film doesn't cover."

Since 2002 I've had all my cars protected with Armourfend. In the case of the first of two Smarts I've owned, I got the Armourfend guys to design bespoke pieces to provide the level of protection I needed. Once a new design has been made it is stored in their computer database for future use.

Although getting all the abrasion areas of a car treated is expensive initially (£400 ish), it more than pays for itself over a few years of avoiding resprays. Having to commute 60 miles daily round trip to Lincoln on the A15 (aka 'pebbledash alley'), I'm convinced it is a very worthwhile investment.

My A2 is still 'chip free' after 19 months and 18,000 miles.

See http://www.armourfend.co.uk for contact details in the UK.

Some good experience feedback there and your product suggestion dies look good Alan, but it'd only be worth doing when I get a new bumper now to be honest.

Cheers

Mike

New bumper!? After all the work to add the headlamp washers! We could arrange for you to hit a Perthshire deer next weekend - then claim your insurance for an OEM bumper with factory headlight wash!!! My bumper's pebble dashed with stonechips as well. I'd be reckoning Tanks face is proudly wearing the story of 50k odd miles of 130BHP enjoyment!!:D

Last edited:
It's not an imminent job Murdi, just something that I'll do in time, along with putting the proper pressure jets in too.

I was just saying that it's not worth spending around £400 on a protective system to protect a bumper that is already pretty scarred.

Hitting a deer would probably wreck the intercooler, radiator and climate condenser and leave the bumper intact knowing my luck - and legally, I wouldn't even be able to claim the roadkill!

Cheers

Mike

Hi. Bit of a slight hi-jack here. Please excuse me.

With regards to the satin finish areas under the front bumper. Mine has been caught on a kerb or something, before I even bought it and it looks like it has folded back completely and it has stretched/scarred the plastic. It is visibly lower on one side than the other. Is there any way to re-form this portion? Maybe hot air or something? It is right by the air filter section where the undertray joins. It has annoyed me since day one, but I have never done anything about it as of yet.

Thanks,

Lee

Yep hot air gun works really great, I did something similar involving high kerb and an A4 front bumper undertray, heated it up, clamped between 2 pieces of ply and when cool all nice and straight, oh not too hot or you'll have a black sticky puddle.
Mike

It's not an imminent job Murdi, just something that I'll do in time, along with putting the proper pressure jets in too.

I was just saying that it's not worth spending around £400 on a protective system to protect a bumper that is already pretty scarred.

Hitting a deer would probably wreck the intercooler, radiator and climate condenser and leave the bumper intact knowing my luck - and legally, I wouldn't even be able to claim the roadkill!

Cheers

Mike

How prophetic was this???!!!

Only it wasn't a deer - it was a Zafira!

Cheers,

Mike

If it is, then that's just spooky! Can't find reference to it though on the oracle of all known things (Google).

Cheers,

Mike

Back