Power Steering Not Happy

Power steering pump stopping & starting, interior lights/lights flickering probably due to the current drain or maybe the motor seizing. Eventually pump stops whiring & warning light comes on. Battery is in good condition. Car has stood for 3 years after purchasing but did the same back then & it also stood not being used before I bought it. What is the best way of accessing the pump to check connections & is there anything else I can do before replacing the pump?

Thanks

Have
Power steering pump stopping & starting, interior lights/lights flickering probably due to the current drain or maybe the motor seizing. Eventually pump stops whiring & warning light comes on. Battery is in good condition. Car has stood for 3 years after purchasing but did the same back then & it also stood not being used before I bought it. What is the best way of accessing the pump to check connections & is there anything else I can do before replacing the pump?

Thanks
Have you checked the oil level in the pump ?
If you decided to replace the pump, I have 2 available pm me for my Tel number etc.
Thanks,

Last edited:
I'd guess pump needs replacing - had my old one leaking fluid and pump wouldn't complain from low fluid, power steering would just become non power.

It is under passenger side headlight, from memory it is pump and reservoir in one.

First: Check/clean your earth/ground connection, it sits behind your L/H headlight.

If you look on my long running Thread “ Power Steering not working “ you will see that mine sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. Most commonly the Amber Power Steering Warning Light comes on when Starting the Engine, Power Steering does not work. Then the Warning Light goes out and the Power Steering starts working perfectly. Tom ( Timmus ) diagnosed it with his Laptop on 8th August as being in the connection Plug to the Power Steering Pump Control Unit on the Pump. This was due to corrosion. He managed to half fix it by cleaning the contacts in the Plug but was unable to reach those in the Control Unit. Did not have time to take the Front off the A2 to access the Pump before he went down south then on holiday to the Alps. He’s going to sort it sometime after he gets back from holiday.

What is the best way to access the pump? remove the wheel arch liner or remove the bumper skin?
Try the wheel arch liner first, but you may be hard pushed to loosen the 3 bolts on the bracket housing the pump.
the 3 bolts are 10 mm need to be lossened to slide pump up.

its a couple of hour job, I have never had this pump fail on all the 30 A2,s I have had during the past 12 years

I bought the A2 3 years ago got my son but then a colleagues was selling a newer Cooper so I bought that for him. As I say I’ve been made redundant & haven’t the works van anymore so the A2 is going to be my daily driver. i bought my other son a really nice 1.6 sport A2 but now it’s unloved. Both my boys are not interested in cars, they don’t even clean them ?as long as they go, that’s it.

Sons/daughters particularly wives are all the same & We as Men/Fathers/Husbands have to deal with all the issues untill our final days.
Thats the way it is I am afraid;)
With all Due respect to all sons/daughters/wives on the forum:)

Yes, there are few in Blairgowrie. We should meet up sometime?
Just over the hill from you on the Carse of Gowrie - have 3 here and there is another in the village. Dundee is positively hoaching with them judging by how many I've seen on the Kingsway and Tesco / Lidl carparks over the past 2 years, almost none of which are known A2oc members! Once things a bit more normal would be delighted to head a few miles north over Tullybaccart for a meet-up.

Last edited:
I ended up fitting a replacement complete power steering pump. I know now that the pump was seizing & the current drain was putting a strain on my electrics making my lights flicker. I could here the pump running & seizing. Just to let you all know.
My power steering pump makes a constant whining noise. The steering works, no warning lights and no error codes. I have checked the fluid level and there are no leaks. Should I replace the psp or just ignore the noise?

Back