Power Steering Not Working!!

S.DUNN

Has Anyone Had A Problem With Their Power Steering? I Have A Steering Wheel Sign In Red On My Dis With The Associated Three Bib`s Also The Abs Light Is On.the Steering Is Very Stiff But The Brakes Seem Ok.
I Have Eventually Found The Reservior On The Lower Near Side Of The Engine Bay.it Did Not Require Much Fluid To Top It Up So It Has Not Lost All Its Fluid.i Can`t Find The Fuse For The Electric Hyd Pump And I Do Not Have A Wiring Manual So I Do Not Know If There Is Any Relays In The System.thus It Looks Like The Dealer For It But They Can`t Fit It In Until Mid Next Week!!
it has turned out to be a Hyd pump failure!!!! £498 or £700 fitted I am really pissed off just before christmas.I am told they fail quite often! so watch out !

Last edited:
i had that on my audi a few months back and it turned out to be a steering angle sensor which had gone and it was sending conflicting messages to the ECU. Saying that the power steering light came on but steering was not completely stiff. I had the ABS light and brake warning lights too along with the annoying beeps. The fault was diagnosed by VW assist man because i called them out when it went wrong. Cost me £271 to get it repaired but still fighting to get my money back but thats another long story. All you can do is take it to a dealer or if you have Audi or VW assist call them out good luck keep the forum informed of what was wrong if you can

Power Steering Failure

It has turned out to be a pump failure! £498 or £700 fitted inc VAT!!!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed what I can best describe as a 'notchy' feeling to the steering at low speeds (manouvring speeds really)?

It has been present on my car from new and I just put it down to design, but you've got me thinking now!

No notching from my A2 - but then again I only have the 16" wheels - in case it's wheel specific...

B

It's only very subtle - like a pulsing through the steering wheel when you're manouvring to park up for instance.

Might get onto Audi after Christmas then.

Power Steering

Mine has recently (2 weeks ago) develop a slight stiff steering problem too. It appears to become stiffer when turning corner and at slow speed. Anything I should check first before sending it into the dealers and get robbed.

wow thats an expensive repair. thank goodness I have a decent warranty but saying that dont want it to happen as it means taking it to a garage with all the usual hassle.

What should I do.....

If the pump is the problem, is it an urgent matter that need fixing asap or can I wait till my service in about 3 months time? It sounds like I will have to spend over £1000 to have my car service and put it right.

Even more worrying now

Just took my car to Ridgeway Audi, they have a quick check and can find nothing wrong, no leak, nothing, but somehow the fluid was very low. The lady at the servicing desk advised me that they have not seen a problem like mine and booked my car in for a full investigation in January for 3 days. The car drives fine now, it is the fluid after all. The question now is where did the fluid go?

Don't wish to worry people but when a similar thing happened to my old sadly written off (not by me) 80 avant it was a leaking rack, cost £800 got it all back from the car dealer though

Well, further to my 'pulsing' problem, my power steering has now packed up completely!

I had 2 new tyres on the front yesterday, no problems (just the opposite in fact - Yokohama A539's, really good rubber!), drove to Ikea in Leeds today, everything fine.

Just pulled into the car-park when the oil warning light came on, so I topped-up from the bottle in the boot and went into the madness that is Saturday afternoon Ikea!

Came out and started the New Tank, only to be greeted by the steering warning lamp and really, really heavy steering.

Got Audi Assistance out, who basically said it looks like your pump's f**ked mate, if you want to hang around for 2-3 hours we'll get you a tow, or you can drive it back yourself!

So, I did drive it back and I've now got biceps like Arnie!

I'll be calling in at Smith Knight Fay tomorrow with the results of my VAG-COM scans, which basically say that there is too much current from the alternator (as well as a few other bits and bobs).

Looks like I'll not be able to enjoy my new rubber for a while.

I'll keep you updated.

Hi Skipton
Is the pump failure related to a loss of oil ?
Just wondered if Audi Assistance checked the level in the power steering reservoir - just visible under the passenger side headlamp as you probably know.

Cheers Spike

Honest answer is "dunno" - Audi Assist was nothing more than an RAC bloke, who didn't even know how to remove the bonnet9!) never mind how to check the fluid levels!

I know where the reservoir is, but checking it is another matter, it really is tucked out of the way. According to ELSA, the front bumper needs to come off before you can work on the pump (which is directly attached to the reservoir).

I'll be visiting the stealers today, but don't expect much from them, because service is shut till Monday.

If I can leave it with them and get a courtesy car, that'll do for now.

Well, I'm now driving an A3 2.0 TDi DSG whilst the New Tank is being fixed - cracking car!

Looks like it'll be about a week from what I've been told :0(

More when I know it.

I had an A3 TDI as a curtisey car and yes I agree its a great car but not sure if I would have the means to own one running costs a bit too high for me. How did you manage to get it sorted out on a Sunday. You must have special powers. Is your car under warranty still as it sounds like an expensive repair job.

Well as for running costs, it's doing about 43mpg at the moment, compared to about 50 for my chipped A2.

As for special powers, I have built up a relationship with the sales manager, who has the authority to issue courtesy vehicles, I've put quite a bit of business his way in the last 4 years, having had 2 cars from them, as well as over £1000 in parts.

As for warranty, yes - the car is only 17 months old and has already had it's steering angle sensor replaced some 6 months ago. It may not be connected, but it sure is a coincidence.

I must say that the build quality if this A2 is certainly not up there with the first one I had - it's far more rattly and has suffered from a dropping drivers door, corroding trim pieces, faulty sensors and more.

Right, I'll post more when the service team get back to me.

Bye for now.

PS, I hope your cruise is still to your liking Toby!

Hey Skipton,

you warranty is still valid then, even though you've chipped your car?

Have to agree with you, even though I love my A2, its not the most robustly built of cars. Yes all cars have their faults but there do seem to be alot of 'A2isms'. Maybe 'cause it never sold the units that Audi had hoped for they didn't bother ironing out all the niggles that crop up on new motors once they're put into production. :(

Back