Power Steering ?

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Don’t know what has happened. Just set off out in our 115,000 mile 2003 1.4 SE Petrol A2. Got a horrendous noise after about 1/2 mile. Steering went very heavy, as in could hardly turn the steering wheel. Got an Orange / Yellow Warning like an upside down Triangle inside a Circle. Obviously Power Steering has failed but what will it need exactly please ?

Ta

No idea. Never lost Power Steering on
the A2 before. We have done approx 106,000 miles in it since 2004 but never had anything like this, so not got a clue how to diagnose what has failed. As result of the MOT last week I have just bought 2 Front Anti Roll Bar Links, and a Rear Spring to put on this weekend, so got Discs and Pads to do while the Wheels are off.

Have you checked the servo oil reservoar (below the headlight) Can you hear the pump running while turning the steering wheel?

Check for fault codes?

I know where the Reservoir is but I’ve never attempted to reach it. Is it even possible ?

Would it suddenly lose all the Power Steering Fluid ? Not seen any signs of a leak, and I was under the car at the MOT Station only a week ago.

I have no means to check Fault Codes.

Use a flashlight or even better remove the headlight to access the container.

Normally there is always a minir leak from the steering, and the oil level is normally never checked (or flushed)

Reading the fault codes would also name the problem.

Does the pump run?

If it ever stops raining I’ll have a look at it. But what would have caused the horrendous noise ?

Ta

Oh well it did stop raining. Took Headlamp out. Checked Power Steering Fluid Reservoir. It is full. No the usual noise when turning the Steering Wheel is not there. Expect it is the Pump that has failed. They are shockingly expensive ! No doubt fitting will be expensive as well ? Shame I can’t just buy one this weekend while Euro are doing 37% Discount and GSF 45%. Failed with the Front Anti Roll Bar Links. Managed to undo the Top Right nut but spent hours trying to lock the Lower. Gave up in the end. Could not find any way to stop the ball turning in its socket to get the Nut off, so did not even start on the Left side, apart from spraying both ends with releasing fluid. Maybe I’ll have a go at the Rear Coil Spring tomorrow, or maybe not !

@A2Steve will likely have one. the front as been know to fill up with water were the connector is this shorts out the motortheree is a fuse which as likely blown as a result, worth just changing the fuse first you never know

cheers

owe it is special 'green' oil not normal power steering fluid about £18 per litre and you need around 2 litres to refill after a pump change

Probably just going to have to accept that the Pump has failed, and pay whatever price someone I can get to fit one wants to charge me. Full Retail Price I expect not the £350 I could have got one with the Euro or GSF weekend Discounts that both finish today.

There are cheaper places to look than ECP etc ; onlinecarparts/autodoc/buycarparts and all of their other online presences have the TRW version at £268 today, but these vary every day depending on what today's % discount is ; then there are Ebay suppliers, ie :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-TRW-AUDI-A2-8Z0423156R-/112073232145

at £230

And as Paul mentioned earlier - it is well worth asking some of the folk here that dismantle end-of-life cars in case they have one that is good enough to swap in - they will be a fraction of the price.

And there are discounts all the time. And if there is no discount, the price is lower in any case.

I would have been certain that it is the pump first, not just the wiring etc, before ordering a brand new pump

Well that’s it. Once it goes to a Garage to be Diagnosed then it will be in their hands, and I’ll be at their mercy with the Pricing ! Wonder if Timmus would be good enough to have a look for me. I’ll ask.

I will have a look for you, but will need to be in early Oct as fully booked up next weekend and then on holiday for a week in the sun
I'm only in St Annes so that too far away
Have you tried the fuse - as it blown ? does it blow again when you replace it, if so straight away or do you get assistance for a few seconds ?
Have you tried A2steve for a second hand pump, they are not prone to failure so I would have no issues with using a second hand unit that was known good.
I know my way around the A2 and don't charge garage labour rates.

I don't think you will get Tom at the moment, he was with me yesterday and said he was off to Norway next week, then had to move out of Lancaster in the next few weeks, it was all sounding very busy for the poor chap

Cheers,
Paul

Well that’s it. Once it goes to a Garage to be Diagnosed then it will be in their hands, and I’ll be at their mercy with the Pricing ! Wonder if Timmus would be good enough to have a look for me. I’ll ask.

If you do use a garage I would enquire if you can provide the new part bought cheaply in advance, that is what I have started doing with my mechanic who has no objection. If my mechanic orders a part it virtually doubles in price not because he is adding a handsome margin but because you are paying a lot extra for the rapid delivery. If he does order a part it arrives in within an hour or two, delivered by one of the dozens of parts factor vans you see around. That is why garage parts prices are high.

The down side is if the part fails the garage in fairness cannot be liable (unless fitted incorrectly) but if you supply quality parts it should not happen. I can understand if a garage refuses to fit customer supplied parts for they fear of being provided with inferior products, but you can ask.

Andy

I will have a look for you, but will need to be in early Oct as fully booked up next weekend and then on holiday for a week in the sun
I'm only in St Annes so that too far away
Have you tried the fuse - as it blown ? does it blow again when you replace it, if so straight away or do you get assistance for a few seconds ?
Have you tried A2steve for a second hand pump, they are not prone to failure so I would have no issues with using a second hand unit that was known good.
I know my way around the A2 and don't charge garage labour rates.

I don't think you will get Tom at the moment, he was with me yesterday and said he was off to Norway next week, then had to move out of Lancaster in the next few weeks, it was all sounding very busy for the poor chap

Cheers,
Paul

Thank you but I really need it fixing by Wednesday, as that’s my last day off work.

I use the A2 mainly for my 20 mile each way commute.

Back