Preserving rubber seals

andrewparkeruk

A2OC Donor
I have recently given the rubber seals on my '54 A2 a good clean (window, door, OpenSky): essentially lifting the edges, opening up the channels and getting in there with water, a toothbrush and microfibre cloth. The rubber/plastic appears to be in generally good condition, and I would like to do what I can to keep them that way.

I know from reading the various OpenSky maintenance topics on the forum, that there are a couple of VAG products produced for the seals on that unit: I am guessing that what is good for OpenSky will be good on other rubber seals
https://wiki.a2-freun.de/wiki/index.php/Open_Sky_System

G 052 172 A1 - Fluid for the care of the rubber coatings, keeps it flexible and prevents the adhesion
aka Dupont Krytox GPL105 lubricant and referred to widely for fixing leaks in the VW EOS folding roof

G 052 150 A2 - Paste for the lubrication of hinges and gliders
which 'timmus' reports is recommended by Rinner also on the OSS rubber seals http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?16494-Rinner-OpenSky-Service-Tips&p=125283#post125283

I am not particularly interested in cosmetically blackening the seals, more preserving their plasticity/flexibility. Perhaps G 052 172 A1/ Dupont Krytox GPL105 lubricant is the product to use throughout, but it is fairly pricey.

What maintenance regime do you follow for the rubber seals on your A2?

Andrew

Last edited:
I use Krytox on my Focus CC convertale and have done since it was 3 years old, been leak free all the time I have owned it. will be using the same on the opensky of my newly aquired A2 TDI, it is dear stuff, but a little goes a long way.
There is 'I beleive' the same product sold on ebay for about £37ish for a bottle, I can dig out the deails if you are interested

cheers

I use Krytox on my Focus CC convertale and have done since it was 3 years old, been leak free all the time I have owned it. will be using the same on the opensky of my newly aquired A2 TDI, it is dear stuff, but a little goes a long way.
There is 'I beleive' the same product sold on ebay for about £37ish for a bottle, I can dig out the deails if you are interested

cheers

I'm also a member of the Forum "Slk World" They swear by a product called "Gummi Pflege" I've used it and it is truly PHENONEMAL! I got two sticks for £10 from "Mikes Garage" ...

David

I've also heard of Gummi Pflege from searching products to rejuvenate rubber. It was mentioned a few times in articles and blogs about restoring classic cars. Ive just ordered a couple of sticks (for my Classic A2 and my VW T25.)

I've also found that black Sugru is very good for filling any splits in the hard rubber seals around the windows which are bonded. It has the right colour and texture and is weatherproof too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've also heard of Gummi Pflege from searching products to rejuvenate rubber. It was mentioned a few times in articles and blogs about restoring classic cars. Ive just ordered a couple of sticks (for my Classic A2 and my VW T25.)

I've also found that black Sugru is very good for filling any splits in the hard rubber seals around the windows which are bonded. It has the right colour and texture and is weatherproof too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gummi is good stuff and been using it for years. Just don't get it mixed up with your deodorant....

I have got hold of some aerospace 303 to try based on watching "sweet project cars" you tube channel. Applied it to replacement wiper so hoping it works well. Will have to use it on all the seals too as hadnt thought of that till reading this.

Have a look for Gummi Pflege on ebay or elsehwere. They usually come in bottles with sponge on the end like the shoe polishes/paint and believe you me; it works wonders. I have used it on restoring 20-year old sunroof seals and it even restored the chipping felt. If your seals are too perished then dip them in warm water first, clean them with soap and them apply the pflege after you have dried them. Apply the stuff religiously after it has dried for a couple of days until you are satisfied with the results.

This is the one I got;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nextzett...414647&hash=item3aeba1cfdb:g:tq0AAOSwlfxXGn3A

I got two and it does last ages.

Yes, "Gummi Pflege" is a fantastic product! I've used it extensively on my Mercedes SLK. (It's mentioned and highly rated on the "SLK World" forum.) tt coats the rubber seals in a matt, non-sticky layer and BOY, does it work! The roof opens effortlessly! Searching the 'net, I found a Firm doing TWO bottles for only £8. Have a good search!

David

Last edited:
Hi guys! Late to the party.
My rear spoiler is starting to discolour. Are there similar treatments to get rid of water marks and discolouration?

Just bought some gummi pfledge for my rubber seals! Should be a satisfying job indeed.

Usual black treatments from the likes of autoglym, einzett etc are effective but only so much. I think getting this sprayed is probably the best solution... probably either black or colour coded.

I am guessing the black (on the rear spoiler) is a paint finish, as when I drilled drain holes through the underside, the body of the spoiler is “beige”

Last edited:
Back